550 Maranello Oil Change | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello Oil Change

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FPFaeth, Nov 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Are you sure? Check post 2 of this thread that mentions the proper TOOL to be used. You are taking on two of the most respected members of this forum and all of F-Chat, for that matter. No one will give it a second thought if you end it here.

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #27 ferraridriver, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have no dog in this fight but from the 550 manual.

That said I suspect that my 77 year old hands can not tighten an oil filter near as tight as a pair of 30 year old hands.

I reckon that's the reason for the torque specification in the 575 manual, consistency.

I'll use the oil filter socket I have and a wrench thank you very much.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #28 308 GTB, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In all fairness, the 550 Workshop Manual says just that.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I reckon so too.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #30 tazandjan, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Affirmative, that is a 575M WSM excerpt. They learn and change things. Just like the WSM for the 550 says you only need a belt change every 30,000 miles with no time interval. We would have tons of Maranellos here in the States that had never had a belt change if that were followed. And just like the Technical Bulletin that changed the 550 interval to 3 years and the 575M interval to 5 years. We have at least one 550 owner here who owns a car where the belts broke at 29K+ miles, right? The 575M WSM says 3 years and so does the OM and neither changed through the 2002, 2003, and 2005 editions of the OMs and updates of the WSM. A tech bulletin changed it to 5 years.

The difference between us amateurs and the pros is we usually have one piece of technical data (like a 550 WSM or OM written in 1996) we use and the pros like Brian have not only seen the tech bulletin and later model WSM updates, but the problems that caused the tech data to change in the first place. We had this discussion with a 360 owner whose WSM says to just inspect the brake and clutch fluid, even though the OM says to change it annually and so do other WSMs. Eventually he believed us, but was still whining to the end.

Crud, we even have 308 owners still hunting for Fram 2804s and oil from 35 year old tech data until someone sets them straight.

So any time Brian offers to help, I usually listen and learn, even if I do take a little crap along the way.

Dave- Mine takes 12 liters and that is 12 l/0.946 qts/l or 12.7 qts.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #31 166&456, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    That's what I thought (and wrote about) too. But I can think of another reason this was changed. I think Ferrari probably once had a customer sueing them over this. It only takes one customer destroying his engine because he forgot to put oil in, and then sueing Ferrari for a new engine using this entrance, claiming the oil was lost through a loose oil filter. A lawyer will see an entrance for a case here.

Subsequently Ferrari changes the manual, and now all of a sudden all of us should follow this new directive, even though the directive was not given because of a real issue with the previous practice?

Any mechanic taking any pride in his work will do it the way he sees fit, and will not allow an engine to be lost or an oil slick to be formed behind a car maintained by him. I consider myself to be such a mechanic. If I would ever have been in doubt, I would have used a socket for a filter, but there was never a reason to do so, and this thread will not change that. My words contained nothing to warrant Brian's statement that my work would be improper and make a car -any car- unsafe. I take pride in proper work, and that was hurt in this thread.

7. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    This is for information only.

I had my oil & filters changed yesterday and it took 10.5 litres and is registering at the maximum on the dip stick.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Domenic- Like Brian said, results will vary. The thermostat may not have been open for your oil radiator, who knows? Check it again after driving it and getting it hot and see if it is the same level.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Terry,
    I just came back from coffee & cars after a half hour drive when I checked it.
    I watched my Ferrari tech drain the oil and he even measured what came out of the car with a graduated container.

I am just wanting to know for my own info, the exact amount that this car takes.......I guess I want to know as much as possible about my car and my Ferrari Tech assures me that the oil was basically completely drained......He used Pentosin....Made in Germany and the oil has a very light color to it compared with the dark synthetic that was in the engine previously. I am guessing that if the oil still is clear like in the jug, it must have been close to completely drained.

I just posted out of my own experience and in no way am trying to create a debate with anyone.....I respect and appreciate all the experienced Ferrarista on here.......:)

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominec- It would not surprise me if every one of them took a different amount of oil to fill. One of the wonders of owning a Ferrari. I note every model has a different dry sump tank, or at least a different part number, but they all have the same sump cover from the 456 through the early 612s. Could be the tanks vary in capacity, even for the same part number. Who knows? Guess that confirms what Brian said. Put oil in it until it is nearly full and then very carefully fill it the rest of the way. Overfilling is way worse than being a liter or so low.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. 550JAB

550JAB Karting

May 10, 2007
    London
    I notice in the procedure quoted by Taz, that you should check oil level with the engine idling, whilst the owners manual states that the oil level should be checked immediately after the engine has stopped.

Which is correct?

Julian

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Julian- Those procedures are directly from the 575M workshop manual. Why not try it both ways and see if there is any difference? Ferrari likely changed the procedure to get more consistent results, like they did for oil filter torque. Owner results would vary depending on how long it took them to get the dipstick measurement after shutting down. The result will always be very close if taken while idling if the oil is fully warmed.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    What is the filter torque spec?

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    See post #2

21 newton meter = 15.488 805 093 pound foot

15. 550JAB

550JAB Karting

May 10, 2007
    London
    Thanks Taz, I'll post the outcome

16. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'm just getting a 550 and doing tons of "what to know" research before it arrives. I'm finding that this engine is very, very similar to the one in my 612. Anyway, I'm currently researching oil and gearbox capacities and ran across this thread.

Is 10 litres really wrong? 10 litres equates to almost 11 US quarts. So, could 12 litres as quoted above be right? I just want to make sure, because that would be almost 13 US quarts.

Thanks.

--Nick

17. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    It takes 12 quarts.

18. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Cool. How many qts of fluid does the gearbox hold? I'm getting ready before the car gets here in case there's no owner's manual.

Thanks.

19. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The fluid volumes in the owners manual are not all correct. Then, any time that you drain and refill, you will likely never get all of the old fluid out.

20. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Those are imperial gallons too not Yankee gallons....

21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Be careful, I know a man who over filled the oil in his 550. He had to do a $14,000 "tune Up" after that stunt. They had to take the engine apart and make sure no rods were bent, check everything. Would have been much better to run it down to the dealer.
    I don't do my own changes just because of this, plus they may see something i don't see that needs fixing on a car that is 13 years old.
    Best,
    John

22. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    The 456 is a dry sump system like my 993. I check the oil when its running and go to the middle of the fill mark. Works for me. When I first got it I overfilled a little,started to blow smoke out of the exhausts,drained half a quart and it was ok-no damage but I felt a little foolish. Perhaps you get the bent parts if you rev to max when overfull? Now I fill a little at a time with the last 3 quarts till the level is just right.

23. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    There is no majic, I do it myself all the time. There is no worry to overfill or under fill. Drain the sump and the oil tank and two filters that would take 12quarts. If you drain the oil cooler too which I do all the time you will need additional quart. That's all. Then you will be proud of yourself. It is a straight forward issue. The main headache is removing the under tray. Don't forget to change the gaskets. Use redline 5w40 oil, it's stay fresh till next oil change.
    Sark.