550 Maranello Oil Change | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello Oil Change

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FPFaeth, Nov 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lexingtonfancyman

Jul 25, 2012
    Hey, I am wondering which is the last years and which cars made by Ferrari had a manual gear box. I am looking for the last year and model that had a manual gear box option. Anyone know the answer to this?

2. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Look at the 599 and I believe some 612 were also built with 6 speed.

But what are you looking for, V12GT, V8 mid engine?

3. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    599, 430, California and 612 were available with manual transmissions. Good luck finding one.

4. Lexingtonfancyman

Jul 25, 2012
    I have no idea. I am just trying to zero in on what I want, then to drive it as ruggedly as possible, you know to get rid of the Ferrari bug, and then put it back on the market and accept my losses. That is the plan. I am just looking right now, but I am looking for the best representation that Ferrari has to offer.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I think 3-pedal 430s are reasonably possible to find. For 612s it is much more difficult IMO. I have been looking for the right 612 for about 6 months, scanning daily, and have seen maybe 2 3-pedal 612s for sale in the US - both not in a shape or config to my taste. I suspect 599 and California are equally or more difficult. This could be different in other markets (I'm in the US). I have accepted that I will have to settle for an F1 612 to get in the seat.
    Jes

6. Lexingtonfancyman

Jul 25, 2012
    #56 Lexingtonfancyman, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Yes, that is me. I am looking more towards trying out a F1 out to see how it feels. I am warming up to the idea, but I don't want to pay very much money for a car I don't truly want. I will likely just go to a dealer with what I want to drive and pay a salesman a benjamin for allowing me to waste some of his time.

(I should also confess that there are a lot more Ferrari models out their than I am aware of. Thanks, for the help.)

7. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Have you driven the F1 612? I don't like the F1 in mine... at...all! It's so sloppy compared to the F1 in my 355; more like the duo-select in my Quattroporte. Mine is a 2005, however (F1a); perhaps they're better now, I don't know. If they've gone to a dual clutch on the 612 I'd suspect it's much better. My 612 has great power, but the shift-lag of the F1 and the softness of the suspension makes for way too much squat and dip for my taste (and what I think a Ferrari should be); even in sport mode.

I'm also in the market for a 599, but waiting on the $150's (getting there). I've only seen one 3-pedal 599 and that was at FCI in Charlotte, NC. From my understanding, at the time it was one of like 50 made?? I don't remember the exact number, but I remember it being ridiculously low!

Finally, my F1 cars have given me so much trouble. All 3 have left me stranded at some point; mainly F1 sensor issues! On the F355 F1, it's been f1 sensor failures AND F1 pump heat-soak (causing the car to drop to neutral; unable to shift until it cools down). That's why I added an F355 GTS and 550 Maranello, both 3-pedal cars, so that I could at least have some driving enjoyment :) Don't get me wrong! I love the "good" F1's...... when they work :(

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I have driven a 2006 612 HGTC F1 ("better" shifting than standard 612), which was acceptable to me. A plus with the F1 to me is that my wife is more likely to drive it. Although she can drive a manual she prefers an auto which the F1 is capable of (but not as smooth, obviously). When I looked for my street 360 some years ago, I only looked for a 3-pedal, and I love it. Later I bought a 360 Challenge race car, which is only available as F1. The F1 has grown on me, and is great for the track. Of course, the Challenge shifts instantly and has almost no slip on pick up.
    Jes

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    So, I am changing the fluids on my 575 as part of the usual winter maintenance scheme.

Engine oll was routine apart from the manual volume question. (12 quarts and still below the min).

Gearbox oil drain, filter clean, reconnection. Easy. Refill a pain. I bought a 1 pint hand suction pump from NAPA. Oil eventually filled but what a messy process. 4.5 quarts to max level, waiting for the level to settle several times. I also have a fitment that attaches to a qt bottle and pumps 4cc but the idea of 1000-1200 pmps was not not appealing either. Ugh. How do others do this without a mechanical fluid pump?

Philip

10. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
  11. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
  12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks guys. Don't I feel like an idiot. I have one of those on the shelf and had forgotten about it..

Philip

13. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    Sorry if I missed it, but what are the torque specs for the sump and oil tank drain plugs?

Thx, Scott
    '95 456GT

14. From Ferrari to Fisker

Jan 14, 2014
    Hello friends. Does anyone know of the best place to get the filters for the 575? Just looking for opinions/options. Thank you!

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You will make more friends here if you do not ask the same question in multiple threads. Ricambi and Ferrari recommended filter.

16. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    That number scares me on the oil drain plugs, too. I've been torquing to 20ftlbs.

How much do you torque them to?

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    55 is way too high.

18. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Yeah.

In all honesty I don't even really use a torque wrench for the drain plugs. Am I wrong for that? Am I breaking a Ferrari-must-do rule there :) I just kind of know what 15 - 20ftlbs feels like and just do it by feel.

When I read 75nm in the Maranello sorting thread (excellent thread, btw), I was like... yeah, but no.

19. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    So it's the same procedure to change the oil on my 575 as the 550? just make sure I use the correct amount of oil? Up to now I have been afraid to change the oil myself w the two tanks..

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kevin- Affirmative, and the trick is to sneak up on the oil level. Put in the recommended amount, warm her up, check the level, and carefully add more if required. Overfilling can cause very serious outcomes. As mentioned earlier, they all are slightly different.

21. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Yes terry you have affirmed what my mechanic says" that he sees more problems with the oil being overfilled han under"
    When he looked at my car for the first time he mentioned that 800ml had to be removed

22. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I heard at a shop today that the 5W-40 and 10W-40 (Redline full synthetic) are completely interchangeable in the 550, especially in the very mild climate of the San Francisco Bay Area...

Would love to hear from knowledgeable folks: is there any truth to this? Wouldn’t the 10W-40 offer less protection on startup?

Is anyone actually using 10W-40?

Ruben

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Maranello manuals call for 0W-40 or 5W-40, with 10W-60 for racing or extremely hot climates (not SF). I would use the 0W-40 or 5W-40 if I were you.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

I use 10 40 because it is easy to get. My oil tests have always been good. I’m in SoCal by the beach it is always 70f. Rarely, the car sees 90f. People either need to follow the factory recs or think for themselves. For example my vette uses 10 30. But I’m racing it so to get the same viscosity at race temps I’m using 10 50 with careful warmup.

25. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    HI All,
    Appreciate if someone can tell me how much oil to pour into the differential. I read somehere here long ago stated about 5 liters 70w-90. My mech said he poured 3.5 liters looking at the dipstick level at full. Is he correct? I am hearing humming sound coming underneath, hence decide an oil change. Hope it works.

Regards