550 Maranello vs. Ford GT | FerrariChat

550 Maranello vs. Ford GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by root, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Curious as to what the Ferrari fans think of trading a Ferrari 550 Maranello for a 2005 Ford GT of similar condition + cash.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Keep the Ferrari. Nuff said :)

F456M and root like this.
  3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    How much cash?

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    $85k. The offer is from a local used GT and Viper dealer.

5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I really like the Ford GT, it’s a dream car for me. The difference sounds fair to me but it all depends on how much you like it.

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Poor build quality. There are body gaps you can slide almost your entire hand through on a Ford GT. They are cool but not classy and almost as fast as a 599

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Behave!!

root likes this.
  8. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    only 85k? sounds like they're giving away the Ford? is there more to the story?

9. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    It's a 2 options model (stripes and Tosh stereo) with 15k miles. Needs tires. Spent Spent some time in New Zealand.

10. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The GT is cool. The 550 is better.

Bluebottle likes this.
  11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sounds like a good deal. Havent seen a GT for less than 250k for 3+ years.
    I much prefer the GT to the Maranello. I realize this is not the forum for it but i was underwhelmed by the driving experience of both 550M i drove. They were fast but i felt too comfortable, too cajoled. I had more fun with my 911 than driving my dad's Maranello. However the Ford GT was a revelation. It was superb to drive. Planted, precise. Like a big lotus Elise.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  12. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    That does seem like a good deal. I disagree with some commentors, find me another front engine V12 Ferrari, manual transmission that is engaging as a 550 for its price point.....hard to beat. I think that is my current dilemma with the 550. What would I ever sell it for? A Ford GT isn’t a bad option though. Keep us posted!

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ford GT- Long stroke truck engine and no luggage space. One reason Ferrari went back to the front engine GT lay-out. Nice big trunk and luggage shelf.

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All true, and I don't care for the cabin appointments but Damn, they're good looking.

308 GTB likes this.
  15. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    I have both not worth comparing apples and oranges, just go buy the gt and be happy. the quality is great the above poster doesn't know S**t. Many owners on here have both they are classics!

LI2782, Shark01 and Boomhauer like this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It would be good to have more detail on your comparative views on the two cars (apart from the slight to the above poster). You have some interesting cars: a Ford GT, a 550 Maranello, a 575 Maranello manual, and a 430 Spider manual, according to your recent posts. But you haven't told us anything about any of these cars, only told us the above poster doesn't know £&@#. I'd be interested in knowing why the OP should swap out his 550 for a GT, which I've heard good things about.

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Well lucky you - shame your mother never taught you any manners.

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would never go from a quad overhead cam V12 to a push-rod, rocker arm two valve American car. The engine of a GT is very similar with the high performance marine engines we have in power boats which is what I sell for a living. Mercury marine sticked to that old system, but finally went to a modern engine with quad overhead cams and for valve per cylinder, turbos instead of screw compressor («blower»). After they did, the engines last 4x longer and uses much less fuel. I am sure the GT has good quality, and I have driven one. It is just something else when a 550 Maranello shows up!! Good luck.

root likes this.
  19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #19 tazandjan, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Bobster- Apparently you do not know much about your Ford GT. Bore 3.55", stroke 4.17", B/S ratio 0.85, redline 6200 rpm, aluminum version of a Ford truck engine with a supercharger to get a lot of power out of her. Ferrari 550, bore 88 mm (3.35"), stroke 75 mm (2.95"), B/S ratio 1.17, redline 7500 rpm.

root and F456M like this.
  20. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    The GT is alot of car, but it's hard to drive you can't see anything when you change lanes and parking is an experience. very fast in a straight line
    funny part is looking for the ford parts that they reused in the car from other ford's like windows controls come from a van.
    Ac from an f150 and yes it works great when it's 110 outside can't say that for the Ferraris's
    The 575 manual is the best v 12 car it's a lot of car and you can drive it every day. runs 160 all day long and it's quiet, best road car I have ever owned.
    The 430 manual is a go cart takes you back to your child hood goes around corners like it's on rails.
    I drive a 996 TT as a daily driver and have several old ones like a 76 turbo.
    when I want to go old school I drive a 427 cobra,
    I guess I don't know much about cars...
    Cars are like golf clubs they are all fun to drive but each one has it's own use

Shark01, sixcarbs, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    From an investment perspective the Ford GT would trump (no pun intended) the 550. But from a usage perspective you'll get a lot more use out of the 550. You can daily drive it, it doesn't have over the top exotic looks so you can take it anywhere. On the highway it just goes and goes in comfort. I would say own both, really apples and oranges here.

Boomhauer, root and carguy246 like this.
  22. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I can confirm what you say about «goes and goes in comfort». When I drive through Europe, it is like I prefer to actually drive the car than looking at places and tourist attractions... it is very strange. The longest I have driven without a long rest is from Stockholm to Lugano, which is close to the Italian border....

23. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    It must be great driving on those roads through Europe. One thing for sure the 550 is meant to be driven. I’m just about at 50K miles and no regrets. Having a major done on it as we speak and can’t wait to get it back.

F456M likes this.
  24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Ford GT engine is dry sump DOHC 32 valve. -Not- a pushrod 2 valve engine. (the trucks of the same year are SOHC 3 valve)

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, Mustang heads on a truck block in aluminum.