550 misc problems | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 misc problems

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ze_shark, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Don't know if anyone else has tried these but I have had excellent luck with the new Goodyear F1 D3s. They are very quiet and truely limit the "shock" value of tar strips and other road imperfections. They are phenominal in the rain (not that I like taking the girls out in the rain), not quite as sticky as the Bridgestones in the dry but they really make up for it in cold, wet and especially in the shock absorbing ride.
    I currently have then on my 348 Spider and my 456 GT.
    They're worth a look . . .

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Hi Dan,
    Spoke with the lead technician at Ferrari Switzerland (was seeking a non-dealer opinion), he said that that the sideways creeping I have at full steering angle does not appear to be normal, even if the PZeros are hard as wood when temperature is cold.
    Could result from the front axle geometry, said that Maranellos tend to be touchy in terms of geometry angles and that the tolerances are wide enough to cause such parasitic behaviour.
    My homework is now to determine if the problem is symetrical (turning right and turning left) then get my dealer to verify the geometry under warranty ...

3. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    ze_, you might want to have a new a/c dryer installed. Perhaps the dessicant in the old one has deteriorated and is not getting rid of the moisture in the air. That was one of the problems on my a/c system.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    After visiting the dealer

- the sidewards rip of the front feels when steering at max angle, if not completely eliminated, has been radically reduced after adjusting the front wheels geometry (the steering angle, not sure how this is called in english). They swore the car was within tolerance but closed the angle a bit. Big difference as a result as far as I've been able to judge. They also said that all 550 and some 360 do this, and that on 550s, for this particular problem, Bridges are the worst, Michelin the best (but not sporty at all), and PZeros in between. Not too sure how much credit I can give to the statement.

- the AC moisture problem seems now gone after cleaning the filter, not too sure what they did exactly (my command of swiss german is limited)

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Shark: so it wasn't your ball joints (top or bottom)?? Do you mean they adjusted toe/camber? Were your front tires worn?

My fronts are basically done. Need to get them replaced next week. I have some slight shudder at freeway speeds, likely because the corners are bald. :D ;)

It's interesting that they say all 550s have this problem. So far you are the only other person I have heard of who has this issue. If you could find out in more detail what exactly they did, I would be much obliged, as I have not received a concrete answer regarding the problem here.

--Dan

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    All I can say at this point is that the geometry adjustment makes a difference, but I am waiting to verify that over more time. I noticed that several secondary parameters like temperature or asphalt grip tend to reduce the problem as well.
    The front tires are quite worn, but evenly.
    I am sorry, I don't know the technical terms in english. See the dwg.

I'd tend to be cautious in drawing any conclusion, first because this dealer does not have an outstanding reputation in solving the root cause of problems, second because they have every reason to get rid of my warranty claims for good ...
    All i know is that they indeed checked the wheels angles and adjusted it (on the left side), because I was there looking at what they were doing ;-)

However, the chief tech at Ferrari Switzerland and another dealer told me as well that 550's are prone to such sideways jumps at max steering angle where the inner wheel gets more grip, is on a tighter radius and drags the outer wheel inwards in sudden sideway jumps.
    I am equally surprised to be the only one reporting such problems.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    THanks for the extended explanation.

I will try changing tires and fixing alignment. That should affect things. After that, we'll see.

--Dan

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I have now enough miles and time behind to reconfirm that the geometry adjustment made a world of difference in my low speed max steeering manoeuvering.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    For me, the fix seemed to be a simple alignment and change of tires. Geometry = alignment?

--Dan