550 owners: heel & toe ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 owners: heel & toe ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ze_shark, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #51 TimF40, Mar 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not a heel toe expert, but the 550 I just bought has a Momo gas pedal that works better for heel toe than any other setup I've tried in any of my cars (f-car or otherwise).

Why isn't this pedal an option to solve the problem? Just curious.

Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Thanks for the input.
    Had not thought about bringing the gas pedal lower to make it easier to catch with the heel, although I am wondering if it won't limit pedal travel.
    Sad thing is, I find this momo pedal VERY ugly ...
    I'll try to shift the gas pedal down using the OEM holes.

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Paul Hill (from Hill Engineering, fchat sponsor) kindly accepted to have a custom spacer machined. Matches the original curvature, fits the original mounting holes, and allows to mount a standard pedal using the "next holes to the right".
    As a result, the brake pedal is 10mm higher in the rest position, and at a more adequate level when pressed.
    Paul is known for his reputation of customer orientation, and it's well deserved !

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    shark; custom for you, or small production run?

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I don't see why Paul would decline making more. Contact him at [email protected]. This pedal/spacer does not have a PN (yet), just tell Paul "same as JC" (has absolutely nothing to do with a tall opinionated dude who talks car on the telly).

6. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    This is great thread guys,

Very informative, glad you found a solution too.

PS - Agree about the look of the Momo pedal !

Seb

7. Grant

Grant Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Denver, CO USA
    #57 Grant, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
    I thought I would revive this thread, since I've been trying to raise my brake pedal relative to the gas for better heel-toe shifting. I am ALMOST there (it's about perfect, but I'd take just a smidge more brake pedal height if possible).

This is what I did:

1. Had dealer max out brake pedal height by adjusting linkage in pedal box.
    2. Noticed there was a bit of slop in the gas pedal at idle, so I tightened the idle rest stop on the gas pedal (this lowers the pedal a bit). It's easy to know when you've gone too far or not far enough as the throttle bodies are sprung and you can tell if there's play or if the cable pulls more than snug and idle starts to rise.
    3. Adjusted the brake light switch. As someone mentioned, when the brake pedal linkage is adjusted, you don't get a brake light turn on, unless you press pretty hard. The switch is easily adjusted (remove the wiring connector, loosen the white nylon lock nut, and turn the whole switch body counter-clockwise. Once you're happy with the adjustment, tighten the lock nut and reconnect the wiring connector). Switch is easily seen inside the pedal box - it's on the far left of this shot:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23923&stc=1&d=1079344248

One other thought: Since my gas pedal had a bit of slop at idle, I think the cable may have stretched a bit over time. If true, it means I might not be getting full throttle anymore when the gas pedal is floored against its stops. I'll have to look at this later. So, the car might go faster as well as enable proper downshifting technique when all is said and done :)

8. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Wow this is an old thread from the past!

You can adjust the throttle cable at BOTH the pedal and engine side. I lowered my throttle pedal quite a bit this way and now heel & toe is easy. Limiting factor on how much you can lower your pedal is when pedal hits the floor.

To check if your are getting full throttle just have some one floor the pedal and then look at engine side if the throttle butterfly lever is at wide open position.

30 minute job.

9. Grant

Grant Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Denver, CO USA
    Yep, that's my plan - thanks!

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ultimate Pedals will make a gas pedal any size and shape you want and can also provide larger brake and clutch pedals, if desired. I had a set on my C6 Z06 that made heel and toeing very easy. The ideal height for the pedals for me was to have the gas pedal adjusted to be level with the brake pedal when the brake is fully depressed. Stock, very difficult to heel and toe, modified you did not even have to think about it.

Inns Ireland once said he only owned one car he did not have to modify the pedals for proper heel and toeing, and that was a 308.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. Grant

Grant Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Denver, CO USA
    #61 Grant, Jun 28, 2009
    I've owned mostly Porsches and I generally have to add an aftermarket adjustable gas pedal to raise the level of the gas (brake pedal too much higher than gas). I was very surprised to encounter the opposite situation with the 550. Seems that very few people could adequately heel/toe with the stock position. Not sure what Ferrari was thinking.

Here's the gas pedal I used in my 73 911 (street/track car):

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #62 308 GTB, Jun 28, 2009
    My brake pedal spacer, made several years ago in a similar fashion. My 550 is safer on the track now:

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #63 308 GTB, Jun 29, 2009
    Tim,

It is a good option for heel and toe shifting in its literal sense. With that extension on the gas pedal you won't have to go through these contortions:

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #64 308 GTB, Jun 29, 2009
    With the brake pedal spacer and stock gas pedal, the "heel and toe" is really a rolling of the outside edge of your right foot outward and downward to touch the gas pedal and "blip" the throttle during a downshift, as shown below. The stock height configurations of the brake and gas pedals make this very difficult to do.

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #65 308 GTB, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    Here's a good reference article on heel and toe shifting appropriate for the Maranello: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/45792/article.html

The article stresses pedal configuration by stating: "The pedal design on some cars makes this easier to do than on others." The brake pedal spacer makes this type of heel and toe shifting safe and easy. I feel it's a necessary modification not only for performance driving, but for everyday driving too.

Barry

16. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html

There are three steps missing here:
    2.1 shift to neutral
    2.2 release the clutch
    3.5 press the clutch

That's why they call it "double (de)clutching"!
    Without these steps you won't help the synchronizers....

;-)

17. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Double clutching and a heal and toe downshift are two different things. The article is accurate for a heel and toe downshift.

The primary purpose of a heel and toe downshift is not to help the synchros, but instead to match the engine speed to the rotational speed of the drive wheels. Do this wrong (or not do it at all) and you run the risk of momentarily locking up the drive axle.

Double clutching is intended to smooth the shift on non-synchro boxes and is rarely practiced on a modern gearbox that uses synchronizers. Synchros largely eliminated the need to double clutch.

18. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I double clutched my 550 from 1st to 2nd (poorly synchronized), then I woke up and quit using 1st at all. Ample torque to just take off in 2nd.

19. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
  20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    there is something wrong with your car

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    AC- If you are having trouble downshifting to first while stopped, something is definitely wrong, as FBB stated. Second gear starts will eat you clutch fairly quickly.

Try a different transmission oil and see if that makes a difference. The OE Shell oil is not that good. Try a good 75W-90 full synthetic like Redline or Valvoline and see if that helps. Brian Crall recommends changing out the transaxle oil once a year because 360/550/575M transaxles tend to be hard on oil.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    +1.

Onno

23. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    So impressed that you can smoke your cigar, text message and heel & toe all at the same time

24. Eric Cruz

Eric Cruz Rookie

Aug 21, 2009
    Barhamsville, VA
    Full Name:
    Eric Cruz
    So, I was going to post a question about raising the brake pedal height, since the factory manual is terribly lacking in this regard:

Tie rod 2 (Fig. 5) connecting the brake
    pedal to the brake booster transmission
    lever must be adjusted so that the pedal is
    in the correct position when at rest.
    Once the brake pedal is in the correct
    position, the stop light switch must be positioned.
    The full brake pedal travel is 89 mm, measured
    next to the centerline of the pedal
    plate.

I did my due diligence searching for what had already been posted and found this thread. I race formula cars in a pro series regularly and the pedals, while quite simply designed (primitive?) are completely adjustable in all aspects. And yes, you want to be able to match revs on a downshift under braking...primarily when you re-engage the clutch on that gear you are going to use through the corner and on corner exit. I don't track my street 550, but I still want to accomplish a downshift properly. I can't see a damn bit of difference between the 550 and the racecar brake pedal in being able to set height at rest (and as a result where it sits with brakes applied) by adjusting the length of the actuating rod where it screws into the clevis to change at rest height, except for the brakelight switch - which of course formula cars do not have.

I followed the links to Hill Engineering, and it seems they just make wider pedals. I have no problem rocking my foot to the throttle, the brake pedal is just too low relative to the throttle. I just need to raise the brake pedal a half inch or so. It looks to me like I can just loosen the jamnut on the actuating rod where it goes into the clevis, lengthen the rod and then adjust the brakelight switch appropriately so it comes on at the right time. There aren't any mechanical stops on the brake pedal that I can see, although at rest the pedal lever seems very close to the sheet metal forward of the steering column mounting, so maybe there isn't enough clearance to get it high enough?

There are adjustable stops on both ends of the throttle travel...is lowering the throttle the way to go? It appears that folks have been able to lower the throttle pedal and still achieve WOT before the pedal hits the floormats...Is this the right way to go? Short of putting blocks on the brake pedal, I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

I appreciate any help from the good folks on this forum in mitigating my confusion!

Best regards,
    Eric

25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Eric,
    I also race open wheel and yes, they are wonderfully adjustable.

Looking at Ricambi's drawings my first option would be to put washers between the pedal and the drilled pad, trying different amounts of washers to get the pedal height I wanted then I would make up an aluminum spacer to go under the drilled pad. Might need longer screws but I'll bet McMaster Carr would have them.

I don't much care for the appearance of a block on top of the pedal, I'd rather have the block/spacer under the drilled pad.

This method should not change the pedal angle as much as lengthening the rod at the clevis would and it should not affect the brake light switch.