550 owners: heel & toe ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

550 owners: heel & toe ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ze_shark, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #76 fatbillybob, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    I have a different problem. I'm a foot roller catching the gas with the upper part of my foot and LFB. I race tintops in SCCA. In the 550 the pedals are just not in the right place and I have to use the heel to blip. The brake can't be adjusted because I need to slide from clutch pedal smoothly to brake and elevation changes bug me. So add the LFB and relative clutch/brake pedal height into your equation if you happen to do that too. Oh I only sprint race and have therefore a very short window of pedal height change if any. Our very own Seth Thomas (real racer) here on Fchat has posted about the loosing brake pedal as the height changes during longer races under brutal conditions. His solution paraphrasing was something like "race the d@mn car don't biotch about it".

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Eric,

I agree with Dave and feel the spacer is the best approach. Try various brake pedal heights with washers, as Dave suggested, to determine what works best for you . Then have an aluminum spacer fabricated. Mine is 1 cm thick and was made by a local machine shop. The longer screws were sourced from McMaster-Carr.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138765193&postcount=62

Barry

3. Eric Cruz

Eric Cruz Rookie

Aug 21, 2009
    Barhamsville, VA
    Full Name:
    Eric Cruz
    Thanks, Gentlemen. Looks like that's the straightforward way to do things, so I'll try shimming/spacing the brake pedal higher. "Just drive/race the car" is what you have to do sometimes when you find yourself on the grid or in the middle of a race and the car is less than it could be for any number of reasons. It's a non-solution when the car is sitting in your garage and you have time to make it right.

Thanks again for all of the advice. Great group of folks here.

Best regards,
    Eric

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #79 308 GTB, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You're welcome, Eric. This way you don't have to adjust tie-rods and the brake light switch.

My 550's previous owner had an off-track excursion at Watkins Glen because of the improper brake pedal height. The whole lower driver's side was rock-blasted as a result. All that's left of the damage today is the scraped left front caliper.

Barry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Barry, NcMaster Carr has those screws in stainless if you want to replace those ugly rusty ones. :)

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I should really do that Dave. ;)

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #82 308 GTB, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hehe, great pic. :)

9. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom
    Regarding aluminum pedals on 456 and 550, are any of these drilled pedals stock from factory or are they all aftermarket? Greg

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    On my 550's stock

11. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom
    Thanks for that. All of the cars I have seen have the aluminum pedals so I assumed it was typical Ferrari dress-to-kill fashion. Then yesterday I saw a 456 on Ebay with rubber pedals and it threw me off.