550 prices??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 prices???

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferrari412gt, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 612's are suffering the fate of all 2+2 models, and it's exaggerated by FF values falling like a rock. I'm predicting F1/a 612's to be cheap as dirt about the time I'm ready to buy.

What's a left-hooker? The prostitute nobody else would take?

2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I thought the "East Coast" referred only to New York City and that the "West Coast" referred only to California!! . Then again we don't speak English "across the pond", we speak American!!

Don't get me wrong everyone I think Trump is a menace to the world. And although I love America I don't have a high opinion of Americans, who I think of as largely ignorant.

Btw: sono mezzo Italiano

3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Left hooker=left hand drive (steering on the left). Another "Brit" term I believe

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Showing my age! :(

OK, no more OT posts, I promise (for now, anyway;))

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Temple- How about keeping your opinions of various nationalities and politics to yourself or put it in P&R. And while you are at it, kiss a fat lady's rear end.

6. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Well it was only one nationality; but you're absolutely right, I do apologize to all who were in any way offended by most post. Very inappropriate of me to post political opinions on this thread. And again I'm very sorry.

If you found my comments offensive Taz I truly apologize to you as I think you're an invaluable resource to this community.

May I also ask is your "by-line" from Catch-22?

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Temple- No harm done.

No, that quote is strictly mine. Used it one day in a post and someone said I should save it.

Il Tifoso and Temple like this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The passage from Catch-22 goes like this...

“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
    No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
    Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
    They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
    And what difference does that make?”

9. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    On topic!! Nothing speaks more for the present state of the 550 market, in my opinion, than the 550 that was just listed here on the f-chat classifieds. This car is pretty much as highly optioned as can be:
    Fiorano Handling Package(!!), factory modular wheels, and Daytona seats. Add to this a service history "from day one" and a (very) recently completed major. New tires and "sticky" problem(s) addressed. Described as being in "concourse" condition. Asking 155k. Last year the "ask" on this would have been 200k, or very, very close to it. Possibly even above 200k. It will be very interesting to see how long this car is on the market.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Looks to be a very nice car, Temple. It appears to have around/just under 30,000 miles, which I believe is considered high, in the US market in particular. This would in turn have more of a depressant effect on price, than the positive effect of the excellent maintenance records and spec. A great car for someone who wants to drive and isn't worried about values.

My 575 has just over 30,000 miles, drives beautifully, and has a hugely thorough service history; my 550 has 4000 miles; I have no illusions about which one would carry more of a premium if I were to sell.

11. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #36 15765, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    It is a shame so many people are so concerned about mileage that they don't take their cars out and enjoy them. I guess they prefer to wear out towels polishing them and braging that they have one. I wonder how many low mileage Ferrari's have been lost in the California fires that no one ever got to really enjoy. And now if they were even insured the company's will only pay them low to mid market level prices. I would rather have the garage space for a car I can enjoy driving.

Chuck

Jürgen Geisler and Graz like this.
  12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true. At the end of the day everyone has their personal motives for buying a car and not driving it. Most of them have to do with either “bragging rights” or investment potential. Life is so fleeting and unpredictable. If it’s not going to be driven imho it’s best to buy a poster or plastic model of the car.

13. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Speaking of driving your car. For a long time I owned a mid 60's V 12. One day it went out to the Mechanic's and took quite a while to fix and it was about this time of year I went out to pick it up. (rather than having him deliver it. It's about 80 miles to his shop.) So it's cold out and of course those cars were pretty loud and sound travels well when it's cold. It had a good radio, but once you got going it was useless. Anyway, i'm driving down the freeway at maybe 80 or 85 and the sound of the car was such that people up in front would hear the car and automatically move over, several hundred yards in front of me. Just glorious.

F456M likes this.
  14. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I dont really keep up with the Ferrari market but the ones from the 60s and 70s, even at say 1500 miles a year, they should have 60-100k miles. Is that considered high miles on a car that old? If someone uses their car 1500 miles a year for 50 years id imagine a 75,000 mile car would run better than a 50 year old garage queen with 5000 miles. Also I dont know the process/cost of restoration but I always see cars for sale "restored" so even if you drive your car to the ground, cant you restore it and sell it then? What does "restoration" entail?

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    For values, miles become less important/unimportant with older cars. Miles are important for newer cars. Miles are the key driver of market value for newer cars...although we all think that's crazy.

16. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I limit the miles I drive my 550 because of the maintenance cost per mile. I want to get bang for the buck when I go out for a drive.

For example, my girl friend who lived an hour's drive away didn't understand why I drove my 2000 Corvette down to see her. It was fun driving around in her town, even though the 550 would have been more fun. But I wasn't up for 2 hours of freeway driving by myself in the 550. We did take the 550 out later when she was at my place.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What's the point of owning a Ferrari if you can't use it on the road or track? It is a drivers' car after all. I bought my 550 in 2013 with 71.000 km. and now it has 117.000 km. The car drives, looks and smells AND SOUNDS way better now than then! Ferraris like the 550 are not at all fragile cars. They beg to be driven!!

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- With a 550 it is more maintenance cost per year if driven like most Ferraris. Makes no difference how many miles she is driven unless you have to service her twice a year and that would mean she was driven over 15,000 miles in a year. Otherwise it is just annually. Would cost you some tires, and maybe a clutch eventually, but otherwise makes no difference.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes it doesn't refer to the political views of a lady that sells her time with another individual ;)

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do you know what their respective high bids where? I had a quick look on their website but it provided no further info

21. TorqueMaximo

TorqueMaximo Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Miguel Koenig

Could not agree more, it's about "Life, Liberty and pursuit of happiness.." The 550 is pure fun, plus it has the best anti theft device: a stick shift, especially true if you have kids.

NE550 and Bas like this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Also agree. It's perfectly balanced: Not too wide, great weight balance, it has enough power and not too much. Sure a Tesla or something will beat it on the straights, but who cares. It's a relatively simple, analogue car. If they do eventually lose manufacturer support, a third party can easily reproduce parts that go wrong or even improve (as has been done already). Modern tires, modern brakes (or just pads), work on the breathing a little and a remap and the power comes to a respectable figure and the car will hang with many other recent cars as long as the driver is up to the job...

23. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark