550 Radio Help! | FerrariChat

550 Radio Help!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DOWORKFCAR, Oct 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Hi everyone! I bought a 550 last year with an aftermarket radio installed but the seller did include the stock radio. I’m trying to install the stock radio but the wires from the back of the radio have been cut. Is there an easy way to fix this or any advise?

Thank you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its kind of hard without knowing your starting point

You need to tell us what is already there as some cross-fitting connectors can be bought or just sit down and work it out by comparison

Or if you are really good it was all posted maybe ten or more years ago - possibly in the 355 section if not here

The Becker equivalent manual also shows the wiring layout - don't know about the Sony

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It looks like you just need a new connector. When you buy that, there will be a wiring diagram for sure. But how you can live with that thing is beyond my understanding.

Bas likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Looks like the plug can be removed from radio. So PO cut the wires to plug lef tin radio. So when you look in the car you see what wire goes where. Looks like you got plenty of wire on the plug to just splice them back to the wires in the car. Looks like PO wanted to easily be able to replace the stock raido.

What year 550? That Ferrari radio does not look like either my ex 2000 radio or my current 2001 radio?

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

There's probably a few of our younger owners wondering what that white thing is above the display :) Cassette tape? What's a cassette tape?

Sorry for the distraction; carry on!

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Thinking about this some more the colors in the white jack are from the Ferrari loom (eg 355) so in theory deep behind your new stereo should be wires of the same colors even if they have been patched into the new stereo's loom

OP any feedback ?

8. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
  9. DOWORKFCAR

Oct 15, 2016
    All of the wires have been spliced. We hooked up the stock Sony but the screen didn’t come on. All it did was click. Maybe that’s why they replaced it....

Anyone know who I could send my stock unit to? To see if it can be fixed. If not, I’ll install the Alpine again! Lol

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Try Radioman in San Diego.
    He fixed a couple things for me years ago and did a great job.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Scott Cairncross might be able to help if he is still working.

La Jolla Audio

Scott Cairncross

5161 Santa Fe Street Ste B

San Diego, CA 92109

858-581-6545

858-581-0360

12. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Taz,
    Should have thought of them too. They’re a five minute drive from my old condo. They opened the same year I got stationed in SD. Not far from Symbolic.

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't understand either. Fussy unit, proper old now, no bluetooth for phone....

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Porsche has a rather nice solution, I'd get the Porsche bit painted over and use that radio. I think the Porsche logo shows up when it's turned on but that's it. Can live with that I'm sure...

For the life of me I can't understand why Ferrari doesn't bring out a similar thing. I imagine it would be a very popular add on for 348 to F430 and 456 to and including the 599 (!).

I've looked through what seems like the entire internet and not found a single din as simple and good looking as this. If they sold an unbranded one I'd have that immediately. It's the perfect single din. It's android based so you can install your spotify, google maps/waze and so on. Total no brainer. No disco lights and stupid extra buttons, or looking like it belongs in some ****ing ricer.

I hate the flippy-up single dins where a big screen comes out, and even worse in a Maranello. They seem to have caught on and making decent double dins now that don't look terrible and have simple to use android....why not single dins? Loads of people want the ''factory'' look.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Standard stereo works fine if you just leave it off. Especially after I get a set of Fabio's headers, who needs it?

F456M, marce, greg246 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    long trips, stuck in traffic. Music is essential. No way would I enjoy 2 hours on a dreary motorway without music. Let alone longer than that.

F456M likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Different strokes...

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Music can not hurt. If you don’t like it, you just leave it off. But great to have in many situations, also for traffic info and in case of a disaster.

Bas likes this.