550 rear shock mounts | FerrariChat

550 rear shock mounts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, May 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I finally got around to replacing my brand new factory rear shock mounts with the modified versions I made up a couple of months ago using the worn out ones as cores.

It has made a vast improvement in the way the car handles small road irregularities, but has not changed overall handling. It’s now almost as compliant as my 355. When I do the front it should be right there.

What I did was to replace the ball joint in the shock mount housing with two Bilstein rubber buffers. It took some cut and try to get dimensions correct. But now I’ve got every thing where it’s supposed to be and installing them was a piece of cake.

I have shown these mounts to both Dave Helms and Brian Crall, both thought they would work just fine.

I have parts made up to do the front mount, that’s my next project.

One side benefit is that these mounts eliminate the problem of the actuator turning and winding up the lead. Mine are still OK, but I have seen them really wound up. Rears don’t seem to have this problem, why that is I don’t know.

Anyone need two 550 rear shock mounts with less than 500 miles on them at half price? :)

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    where are the pictures??? sounds interesting...

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This shows all the parts and both the modified housing and a unmodified housing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This shows the finished part made by cutting the bottom of the original ball. You have to do this because of the taper that matches the taper on the shock rod

Modified housing
    Stack of buffers, the large center washer is located in the housing by spacer rings to get the correct geometry

When assembling on the shock you tighten the top nut compressing the rubbers to the same thickness as the original ball to get proper the height on the actuator gear. This is done with a gauge I made, very easy to do.

I’m much happier with how the car rides now, and this is after replacing the rear mounts with brand new ones.

Almost every other car in the world uses some kind of isolation on the shocks, I don’t know if any other Ferraris use a solid mount but it looks like most use a “Hyperblock”, Ferrari’s term for a rubber isolator

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hey that's really neet! How do you describe how the ride change for you? It is nice to see owners getting creative with the 550. There is so little 550 breakdown that owners just don't do much to these cars like they do with the 348/355's I'm used to.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The car is more compliant over tar strips and small irregularities in the road, seems smoother, quieter. All in all its pleasanter to drive now.

If you look at the factory mount its as close to metal to metal as possible, very similar to a teflon lined spherical joint.

You wouldn't have believed the ride with the original mounts that only had 15,000 miles. It sounded and felt like something was broken, or I had a couple of bricks in an unlined trunk.

New mounts helped a lot, but all the impact on the shock rod is transmitted directly to the chassis without any isolation. any play, and there has to be some for the shock to move, amplifies the sound.

I would really like to ride in another 550 to do a back to back comparison on the same road.

If you have a lathe the cost is probably around $50/75 for enough material and parts to do all four . Plus not having rotating actuators is nice.

Side note, the factory mounts are why the actuators rotate, its the shock rod that rotates, but every thing is secured to that rod and when the ball joint wears a little the whole thing, ball, actuator cup, and actuator rotates, there's nothing to stop it.

F456M likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes Terry, I knew that, Its not possible to retrofit a 575 hyperblock to a 550, that's why I did what I did. Essentially I made a "hyperblock" albeit a multiple piece one. :)

F456M likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Very ingenious. I assumed you could not retrofit, but was not sure.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Me too! Too bad I'm in L.A.. My 550 seems very nice in the ride however. But I come from a lot of race and raceish cars stiffly sprung. In fact my 550 ride is too lexus. I am debating keeping the cool Ferrari system vs an aftermarket set of adjustable shocks and springs. I keep telling myself I'm not racing the car but you "want what you want".

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #10 ferraridriver, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Come up to Laguna Seca Tuesday or Wednesday I'll be there with the Brabham, but I'll get there in the 550

11. dpfarrell

dpfarrell Rookie

Dec 24, 2009
    I have an 01 550 with the same noisy rear shocks. Would you be interested in modifying my original mounts? If so how would we proceed?
    Thanks

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Basically you need to send me your shock/spring assemblies complete but without actuator. I will disassemble them, modify, and reassemble, then return them ready for installation.

Expect a two day turn around.

PM me for further details.

13. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #13 jznd, Feb 28, 2011
    I have two used front shock mounts from my 550 which I've recently replaced with new ones. Does anyone want the used ones for free?

I'm responding to this old thread by Ferraridriver, who had figured out a clever way to modify 550 shock mounts for a more compliant ride. If another Fchatter would like to try out that mod, I'm happy to donate my used mounts towards the cause.

14. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Spoken for by a fchatter and going out in the mail tomorrow! Make sure you report back about the results...

15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I spoke up for Ben’s old rear shock mounts earlier this year, and he was kind enough to ship them from Hong Kong to Texas, refusing any reimbursement. He only asked that I provide some feedback on Dave’s (Ferraridriver’s) modification, once it was done. So Ben, thanks once again for your mounts and here is the “payment”, as requested.

When I first learned that Ferrari had put pillow ball (spherical bearing) top shock mounts on the 550, it was another of those “WTF were they thinking?” moments. For me, solid, pillow ball shock mounts have about as much place on a high end GT car as Heim joints. I’m told the only other “street” Ferrari that had these solid mounts was the 355 Challenge, which I suppose was the homologated version of the full on racecar.

Once I learned what sort of mounts the 550 had, all the little bumps, thumps and whumps that I was hearing and feeling whenever I went over railroad tracks, tar strips, and other road irregularities then made sense, and I was resolved to sort out yet another mad idea from the Italian engineers. So I researched the 575’s shock mounts and learned that Ferrari had come to their senses, dumped the spherical bearings of the 550 and gone back to rubber isolation, but unfortunately the 550 couldn’t be upgraded to the 575’s mounts. Of course not; that would be too sensible, and sensible is soooo un-Italian. So when I learned that Ferraridriver was converting these things to normal rubber dampened mounts, I knew I had to have a set.

Once I received Ben’s mounts, I sent them on to Dave, who modified them as described, and sent them back with full instructions how to install them. I decided I was going to have them done at the same time my fuel tank was being pulled to sort out the fuel fume problems from the rollover valves. So last month while I was playing desert fox, Mark Darragh and the crew at Sphere Motorsports in Houston, pulled my fuel tank, changed all the rollover valves and gaskets, and at the same time, installed the “new” shock mounts.
    I picked up the car last week and on the drive home, I immediately noticed a difference in the feel of the suspension. There’s a series of manhole covers in the road near Mark’s shop which I always steer around, as if I hit them, the car sounds, feels, and acts like a 60’s pickup truck with a set of blown shocks. Well, I was suffering mightily from jet lag and completely forgot about them and hit those puppies dead on, and literally cringed as I did so, but the car hardly reacted at all. There was just a minor bu-bu-bump feel that hardly would have put a ripple in a cup of coffee, had I been holding one. Astounding. Before this suspension mod, I would have been wearing the whole cup! Encouraged, I decided to nail a known set of killer railroad tracks at speed instead of gingerly creeping over them like eggshells. Same thing – the car just took it in stride, and if I hadn’t known better, I would have thought I was in a Merc, not the 200 mph Italian equivalent of a 60’s chebbie pickup with blown shocks.

So the feel of the car has been transformed from totally solid (you usually get that when you mount metal to metal) to compliant but taut (with the top of the shock isolated from the frame of the car by compressed rubber.)

In summary, this is a suspension mod that really works, and is a very good thing. And to think only the rear of the car has been done so far – now I can’t wait to get the fronts done!

And did I mention the side benefit of no more twisted shock actuators?

16. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I was told by the guys at Wynn Vegas that Ferrari has a fix for the 550 front shocks that works !

Twisted no more is what they said.....

I'll find out next time I'm in Vegas.

cheers,

Bill

17. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll bet it involves replacing/modifying the front bump rubber, which I think is the cause of the twisting actuator problem since that's the only place a fixed bump rubber is used and that's the only place the actuators twist.

Remember it's not the actuator turning, it's the shock rod with the actuator attached to it that's turning.

18. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Will let you know Dave... hope your knee is doing well !

cheers,

Bill

19. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    John, thanks for the update & feedback! Glad my two old shock mounts have found a new and better life than as paperweights on my desk. Already have plenty of other ferrari parts doing that job anyway...

When my current shock mounts wear out, I'll give this mod a try. At the moment my car is still laid up at the dealer while we search for some parts for the dreaded fuel pump issue, so I've put zero miles on the car in many many weeks.

Best,
    Ben

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #20 308 GTB, Oct 6, 2011
    I've been using this as a paperweight, Ben. I have twenty-three more just like it. ;)

F456M likes this.
  21. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ouch! That picture just made me cringe involuntarily!

22. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I'm new but need some for my 2001 550 with 29,000 miles. Suggestions welcome!

Thanks, Brad D

23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Brad, give me a week or so, right now I'm on a three masted sailing ship in the middle of the Adriatic.

24. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    Is there anyway to email me the description of the retro fit?

Thanks, Brad

25. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #25 wbklink, Nov 19, 2011
    Dave, This is the Ferrari part that is suppose to fix the 550 front actuator turning problem...

what do you think ?

Thanks,
    Bill