550 running warm - ideas? | FerrariChat

550 running warm - ideas?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TheZinger, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    So I’ve done some searches, and I can’t seem to quite find anyone with this same issue. I noticed my ‘99 550 was running warm today... so much so that I turned around after about 10 minutes and went home. Water temp was hovering near the 2/3 mark.... just at the edge or slightly beyond the edge of the “0” of the 190.

Both electric fans are working. The oil temp never got much more than a little bit above the first tick, it’s normal position as long as I’ve had the car.

When I got on the car a little going onto the highway, it went up a tiny bit and then I expected to see the water temperature gradually decrease as I went into cruise and got some airflow over the radiator, but it did not, which was concerning.

I suppose it could be a stuck thermostat, but the car seems to actually be holding temperature, albeit a higher than normal one which leads me to believe it is somewhat regulating itself. Not sure what’s up. Thoughts?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    My car always was running hot this is how my tech fixed it :)

Radiator removed & professionally cleaned by a radiator shop.

Then he used "No-Rosion" with Bottled drinking water and 1 liter of anti-freeze.

That's it and the car can stand any temps.

Came back from Vegas Got to the 210 freeway and the temp was 104F traffic stopped major accident ahead, CHP & FD were
    behind me trying to get to it.

Needless to say I was going nowhere, it took me about 45 min to get past it once again it was 104 F.

Car was perfect never past 190 :)

I posted this in 2014 and it still is perfect today (of course every 2 years I have fresh stuff put in)

Good Luck

F456M and TheZinger like this.
  3. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    I was having similar issues to you when we had 45 to 50 deg Celsius temps. The garage did similar to what wblink describes plus alot of backflushing and it now seems ok. The worrying thing is that neither the fans or radiators are available new and so its a case of really keeping on top of the system.

I am currently seeking a solution to the fans as I would like to change these on the basis that they are 21 years old an run all the time and so must be less effective by now

TheZinger likes this.
  4. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    Thanks for the replies.

The thing that bothers me about this is that it just started happening. I’ve had the car a few months now and it’s always run on the cooler side and seemingly overnight it’s started to run hot.

I will try those things, but it seems weird to me that it wouldn’t be a gradual thing if it was coolant quality etc. Again, fans seem to be working as intended...

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Could be sending unit i/ gauge is not working probably .. have you confirmed with a infra red thermometer .. may not be 100 accurate especially where you point it but it can give you a better idea ..point it a hose it the thermostat and see what it says

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's easy to check the sensors that trigger the fans. At what temperature do your fans turn on? There are 2 sensors that turn on the fans. The primary sensor is on the LH coolant manifold and turns the fans on before the coolant reaches 190F. The backup sensor is on the RH coolant manifold and turns the fans on at 220F. If the primary sensor fails, the fans come on late and the car runs hotter. This happened to me a few years back. Start the car with a cold engine and the climate control system turned off by pressing the STOP button. Watch the coolant gauge while listening for the fans to turn on. If they turn on before 190F, it's not the sensor (assuming your gauge is reading correctly - use an infrared gun to verify first). If they turn on closer to 220F, you need a new sensor. You say the car doesn't cool down when moving on the highway. It should if it's just the fans coming on late. You should be seeing normal temp on the highway since the airflow from speed does a better job than the fans, but the sensors are easy to check and rule out before digging deeper.

Qavion, TheZinger and flash32 like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi SE16. Are you saying that your 550 can sit in stop and go traffic in 45 deg Celcius and stay at around 100 deg C coolant temp...!? How is it inside? I assume you have full AC on? I am impressed.

8. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    I know - that’s the concerning thing. If I saw the temps going down on the highway I would have chalked it up to fans or maybe even a weak pump. But it’s just holding high or even climbing after acceleration to highway speeds and then stays high.

9. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Hello Kai,

Had you car been sitting not used much before you bought it ?
    When i bought mine, i drove it alot in the first few months, things started to happen...leaking shocks, leaking high pressure steering hoses, even the $1000 braded oil pipe(there are 4 of them in our cars)

and now trouble(almost) free as i take it out at least once a month for a spirited run so everything heats up nicely.

10. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    I am not sure as yet because the weather is still cool here in Abu Dhabi....but it does seem to be running cooler in general...

F456M likes this.
  11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I don’t really understand the cooling system of these cars. When running highway speeds, the temp go as low as 60 degrees. Almost at the bottom of the scale. But in traffic. 115 is normal according to the user manual. I think this is really a wrong way to make a coming system because the 115 degree heat put extreme pressure to the hoses and gaskets. If you compare a 550 to a F12 or 812, the intake area of the grill is about 1/2 or 1/3 of the area. And those cars also have better vents to get the heat up and out of the engine bay which also boost up the speed of the air when the car is standing still.

12. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    It probably wasn't being used much, no. And yes, I had to work out a few bugs when I first got it. Just finished the actuator upgrades with thus far excellent results.

This particular situation is strange to me because something must be causing it. It ran perfectly cool up until the other day and then I started having this issue, so SOMETHING must have failed. I haven't had a chance to do the temperature test for when exactly the fan kicks in, but that seems like a logical place to start.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It sounds like the coolant is not circulating through the radiator properly. You could feel with your hand (be careful not to byen yourself!) on the two hoses going to the radiator. The one from the thermostat is usually warmer than the return hose. If both are not warm, then the water goes to the header tank and back into the engine. Try a new thermostat.

14. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    Yep - checked that already. Hot both sides. Could be it’s not opening all the way or something, though.

I don’t have any time to diagnose until tomorrow so will check all these things more thoroughly and get back.

F456M likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    When was the last time you changed the coolant?

16. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Check your water pump too. The leak on mine wasn’t totally obvious

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pretty common in Ferraris actually. Never tested my theory but I suspect the springs in the thermostat are not well heat treated and get weak with age allowing early and too wide an opening for any given water temp.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    First thing I'd do is confirm the temp reading is correct.

flash32 likes this.
  19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I said that many posts ago .. totally agree

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Also, usually but not always when you have real overheating you will get some reaction in oil temp. Oil cools the motor too. Makes me suspicious.

21. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    Yes.

Okay so, I spent some time running the car up to temp today. Fan kicks on at precisely 190F so it’s not that.

I did notice the thermostat side hose was not getting warm this time, and at idle my temp was climbing WAY too fast, so I’m going to chalk this up to a failed thermostat.

Has anyone done this job? I’ve done a million thermostats on old BMWs and this looks pretty straight forward. Anything I should know before going into it?

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Really simple. Have you checked the coolant level? Those caps are garbage and it is very easy to believe coolant loss can be a factor.

ColGraves likes this.
  23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If the coolant was not changed regularly during a Maranello's early life (easy to believe since there was no recommendation to change), the small hoses attached to the filler tank can get clogged. This can cause over-heating. Luckily relatively easy to check, if not easy to replace.

24. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Make sure the air bleed hole is positioned uppermost during assembly

ColGraves likes this.
  25. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    To follow up with Ferraridriver and Rifledriver, I had this problem and it turned out to be Air in the coolant system. I bled the puppy out (one of the very few easy things to do on this car!!!) and joila, worked perfectly. Image Unavailable, Please Login

In the attached picture, it is not what I am working on, but rather the bolt to the left on top of the coolant manifold.