550 Selling? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Selling?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Sep 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    The two Smith Volvo Maranellos are far from top condition. The cheaper one had accident damage and the more expensive one has an airbag and CEL issue that previous owners have been unable to fix despite multiple attempts. Both have significant wear and tear and tear and are far from representing the best on the market.

BTW - I bought the 575 stick this morning. I spent a year looking for a 550 in this condition, with no stories and with records from new, in the color I wanted, and all maintenance current. Such a 550 did not exist. I was not planning to spend this much or get a 575. However, this car came to my attention and I went to look at it. I paid a premium and got a 575M that met my criteria. YOLO.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mrp_e and 550nitis like this.
  2. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My point is this: there really isn’t a “best” 550 available publicly. There’s only the “the best of the bad/mediocre/neutral” out there.

We still have yet to really see a blue chip 550 (despite how we feel about 5-10k mike cars and investment discussion, its germane to the topic and some of love the analysis).

Show me the $150K 2001 with flawless colors, condition, maintenance, ownership history and <10K miles. Doesn’t exist - obviously too valuable to current owners despite the ‘17 run-up and current stable prices.

So market commentary is on existing inventory, for which there is little demand among those with money to pay what it takes for the best of the best.

docapl and NE550 like this.
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I do have a 2001 550 that I am considering selling it is Rosso Corsa about 12000 miles with , factory barchetta wheels, Daytona seats (black with red Daytona ) , Factory carbon fiber , factory luggage , quilted headliner , quilted rear area, all on the factory window sticker also has a quilted tunnel (can not verify this is factory but looks it) very late 2001 I am told one of the last 30 built ... excellent condition ... and fully serviced ..I have owned it since Jan 2012 purchased through Bradan from another Fchat member...... this is the best 550 I have ever seen..
    It would be priced top of the market when I bought it I paid way over market and would be priced similiarly

mrp_e and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple

5. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am going to attempt to list my 9,600 mile 550 on ebay tonight. Buy it now price of $149k. blk/blk, service records, keys, books, clean car fax, owned it since 2014. just incase anyone here is interested.

mrp_e, Bas and docapl like this.
  6. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I thought you had it sold twice now. Your 550M is one of the very few that I would have bought. Now you have it priced right too, but a week too late for me. Good luck with sale.

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    E why you selling and what’s next on your list?

Sent from my 16M

8. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yep, maybe selling Carrera GT next. just too many cars

9. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Keep me posted on the CGT. I have a friend looking for one.

10. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Larry,
    why would you sell such a car ?

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wouldbe interested if I lived in the States. Sadly not. Good luck with the sale!

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have not been driving it ..and looking for space ..

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do you have a picture of the quilted tunnel please? I think I've seen it on one maranello, can't remember if it was a 550 or 575 however.

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Simple, the asking prices are asinine. Many of these were gobbled up by speculators only looking for profits and now they're stuck with them.

Also, I strongly disagree with the comments about this car being visceral and having a supercar feel. It is a great car, but is anything but. It's trump card is it's styling and fabulous gearbox. It's easily the prettiest Ferrari of the past 25-30 years. If you're looking for a visceral car, this is not the car for you. Think CL Mercedes with a Ferrari V12 inside and a Lexus exhaust. I had a centerpipe, and capristo on mine and still could barely hear anything. Caved and went straight cats before eventually selling her. Funny thing was my mechanic knew me well, warned me not to buy it, but I went through with it anyway due to picking it up for a bargain. I was looking at a v8 Vantage prior and wish I had bought that car in hindsight.

bellwilliam and 550nitis like this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- V8 Aston over a Maranello? Your tastes vary quite a bit from mine. Lots of ways to make a Maranello sound as loud as you like, and Fabio's exhaust sounds like a old V12 F1 car. Your definition of visceral differs quite a bit from mine, too.

Texas Forever, 550nitis and NE550 like this.
  16. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It depends which V8 Vantage he's talking about.

If it's a late 80's X-Pack Vantage that's as good as it gets for me. I'd take one of those over a 500 or 575. They are sadly beyond my reach now.

550/575 comes a close second and is more "affordable".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrp_e, 550nitis, davidoloan and 2 others like this.
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not me. The handling is nowhere near as good as a Maranello. More like a hot rod.

18. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    I have owned one of these and can tell you it is nowhere near as good to drive as a Maranello never mind the feeling of quality and integrity i get from my 550.

mrp_e, Graz and 21ATS like this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I will try I did post it several years ago in this forum we were discussing if anyone had seen another .. that was back around 2012 or so... I will try to find the picture right now the car is getting a full service so I won't get it back for a couple of weeks....
    That could be where you saw it .. I can't prove that it is factory but the leather grain matches perfect... in either case it looks very good really finishes off a 550 interior ..

mrp_e and Bas like this.
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    you may feel that way about the 550/575 and that is fine ... but if I have mine for the next 20 years I would have no issue with that . IN my garage the car is truly beautiful to me .. and it drives great ...I liked them from the first picture I had seen and I like the looks better then any other recent V12.. others feel the same way.. so we are good...

Bas likes this.
  21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It's not a surprise though, I'd imagine there's 2-3 decades difference in technology and design at least.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks...I tried looking but couldn't find anything, sadly.

23. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I don't know if this is the right thread, but, there's a 2000 550 black/black on eBay right now. It does not appear to have a reserve. Does anyone know this car?

24. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I know it quite well, it's mine. Read post # 30 in this thread. Bid with confidence.
    Thank you.

25. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Very good. Thank you.