550 Service Requirements | FerrariChat

550 Service Requirements

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jim Converse, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Converse

Jim Converse Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    550Jim
    I'm looking to buy a 550 and saw, in the forum, that it might be a better idea to buy an older 550 that has had its "service" done already as versus buying a newer one in which this service has not been performed. Exactly what should be done or should I ask if it has been done while shopping? Most of the '97-99's seem to have 10 to 18M miles, so I assume this service should have been performed somewhere in this mileage range? Hope someone has the answer and I Thank them in advance. Jim Converse

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Jim, the 550 is like any other car...
    "All" cars have recommended service intervals listed in the owners manual.
    There is not a "single" service that must be performed,
    but a number of different service operations that must be performed over a given number of miles/or time, as with any car.
    So rest assured, that if you buy a 550 that has had its so called "service" done, you will be doing yet another "service" on the car.

3. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    main service other than fluid changes is the cam belts...they need to be changed every five years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first. I dont believe in that...but that is what most services refer to.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jim,
    Just remember that regardless of what "should" have been done, or what the owner says has been done, only trust what has been documented on paper, and verified by the service dept.