550 Shifter Position | FerrariChat

550 Shifter Position

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by crburg4, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crburg4

crburg4 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2019
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Reese
    I've been unable to find a posting on aligning my 550 gear shifter. Mine sits a little north of the gated plate centerline. The position is not keeping me from making shifts, but I get a shifter to gate-plate metalic "collision" when I go between the vertical paths (ex: 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th).
    I've looked through the online diagrams without finding an adjustment part. American car linkages I've adjusted have a threaded coupler so that the length of the shifter-to-trans throw-rods can be lengthened or shortened to center the shifter. Guidance is appreciated.
    Reese

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like there might be some adjustment on the rear of the front control bar, but a pain to adjust. Calls for removing the center muffler/resonator and lower underbody to get to it. Nothing in the 575M WSM on how to adjust, but that is the only part of the linkage I see that is not bolted together. Would likely be a trial and error job until the lever is centered. Maybe one of our pros can chime in. The WSM just tells you how to remove the control bar, I guess they assume a pro would know to center the lever.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have rarely found a shifter out of adjustment. I have often found other broken stuff making the shifter out of line. I would look elsewhere 1st to make sure all is in order for a potentially good shift Then look at the shifter mechanism last. I have found bent pennies in shifter boxes just to name one weird thing that can gum up the works

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    On my 550 I could adjust the stick when I reinstalled it after replacing the clutch. I am pretty sure there is a threded joint there. I tried to adjust to make it better, but it did not do it anything better. My shifter is about 12 mm. higher up in 6th than at the bottom of the gates slot. But I can live with it.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If it is bottoming in the gates at one end or the other it is out of adjustment and needs to be fixed as Terry outlined. If it bottoms it potentially will not fully engage the gear internally and can lead to some very expensive to resolve internal transmission issues.The gate cannot be allowed to limit shifter for and aft travel.

6. crburg4

crburg4 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2019
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Reese
    You are always very helpful with your F-Chat posting. I agree that the "F" coupler looks to be the only joint with potential threading. I don't have the diagram you posted from your 575 WSM in my 550 WSM. The cars are similar. Do you have a digital copy of the 575 WSM and will you share it with me? If so, send me a PM through CONVERSATIONS (to crburg4) and I'll provide my email address.

7. crburg4

crburg4 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2019
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Reese
    Thanks for responding. I've pulled the shifter plate, looked around and found nothing. No coins in the compartment to cover the next annual maintenance costs. The shifting is full-range without binding and I've put 6K miles on the car this past year, so I suspect that if there was an obstruction it would have produced some negative results by now. I'm the 4th owner and I did find find a maintenance note indicating that the shifter position has been aligned in the past.

8. crburg4

crburg4 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2019
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Reese
    Thanks for your response. Your information tends to point to the "F" coupler in the diagram provided by Tazandjan above.

9. crburg4

crburg4 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2019
    Springfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Reese
    Thanks - a good warning message. Fortunately, the shifter plate is not limiting the shifting in any direction. It's bothering me that I get a metallic "twang" from hitting the downward tooth between 1 & 3 when I slide from 2nd to 3rd. The adjustment is out just enough so that the shifter hits the top teeth when the shifter is moved side-ways, but doesn't touch the bottom teeth.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Some of the “tink” sound can be misalignment. Some is driver induced. Some is intentional people like the tink of the Ferrari gated shifter.

F456M likes this.