550 Sport button | FerrariChat

550 Sport button

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by speef, Sep 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Hi there

Don’t have manual info handy, does anyone know if the sport button on the 550 affects throttle response, or other, in addition to altering shock response, or is it only there to modulate the suspension response? Thank you

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm fairly certain it's only for suspension in a 550.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Affirmative, nothing else affected on a 550, unless fitted with one of the first 10 or so Maranello Skunkworks steering ECUs.

4. speef

speef Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Got it thank you guys

5. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Immediate feel in my car when I hit the button with shocks, steering tightens (perhaps due to shocks stiffening) and the ASR allows more wheel spin

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What TAZ says is true. I have had 2 550's. One was an USA version one was a Germany Eurocar. The sport button did nothing to steering or ASR only the shocks. Both my cars were outfitted later with MSW switchable steering ECU keyed to the sport button. So if you feel the steering change maybe you are one of the lucky dozen. The change is dramatic.

7. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Does anyone have contact info for Maranello Skunkworks? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On the 575M, Sport affects both shocks and ASR intervention. Plus F1 shift speed.

9. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Besides the shocks, the sport button relaxes the ASR on the 550. When in sport, you can spin the rear wheels, but engine power is cut if you slide sideways. When not in sport, any spin or slip at all causes power to be cut. I use sport mode more to keep the ASR from being overactive rather than the stiffer shocks.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One big difference between the 550 and 575M is the much smoother intervention of 575 ASR due to the digital throttle and more advanced ABS system.

11. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Anthony, contact John or cribbj on FC for MSW.

docapl likes this.
  12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    How come it was only the first 10 or so ECUs?

I have one I have yet to install...it's in a box somewhere and I haven't been able to find it since we last moved.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

MSW only made a run of a dozen or so. When MSW does something you gotta not think about it and just buy it. I have most of the stuff they ever made and it is all flawless OEM or better quality. You better than that switchable ECU. It is a Unicorn!

14. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I installed the MSW steering ECU for my 456M. Dramatic change in steering; sharper and more responsive.

15. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Exactly what I feel with ASR, immediate interruption if sport mode not engaged, a Fiat 500 can dust me at a light.....
    Shock stiffening on my car is very apparent, as is the steering feel, just had my shocks rebuilt by Delta Vee so that may have something to do with it?

16. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Awesome! Definitely gonna hunt for it now hahah

17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I had my MSW Switchable ECU installed several years ago. It's the best modification on my 550. As John (Cribbj) says, it's the "Poor Man's Manettino."

18. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I have MSW's non-switchable steering ECU installed. Works great and improves steering feel. Can't think of a reason why I'd want a switchable one since there'd be no reason to switch back to original assist curve. Maybe if I want to be reminded of how much better MSW's ECU is? Thanks John :)

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Dave & I appreciate the friendship & collaboration we enjoy here.