550 to F430 | FerrariChat

550 to F430

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 00 550, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    I have had the 550 for several years and was always a hard core "has to be a stick shift" guy. I actually got frustrated at the F1 575 guys saying its as fun, if not more than stick. Well...I just picked up a F430 F1 transmission spider, and while I imagine it's probably a completely different car driving experience than a front engine V-12, I must say I am in love with the F1. It's an absolute blast to upshift and downshift. And the stock exhaust is a symphony. I feel like ****** because I don't even miss the 550 right now. Just thought I'd share my experience. F430s are a bargain right now and worth every penny if you ask me... I kept the 550 and have it tucked away. It will be interesting to see how it makes me feel when I drive it again.

2. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Awesome, and congrats on your "new" F430! You are fortunate to own the best of both worlds: front engine V12/gated manual and rear engine V8/F1. Happy New Year, and enjoy!

There seems to be a lot of "either/or" -type comments in the context of discussing the relative merits of F1 vs. manual, and front vs. mid-engine, or whatnot. To me these are false narratives; it is BOTH. Both types, in whatever combination, offer a unique driving experience and should be appreciated for what they are: singular machines infused with the incomparable pedigree, history and sheer passione that Ferrari represents. What's not to like?

RKZ841, neil e dale and kandi like this.
  3. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Agreed. Well stated

NE550 likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Now you understand why we 575M F1 owners enjoy the system. Another skill set to learn.

NE550, Dave rocks and colamclean like this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Manual is very old fashioned. Not always the best choise for everyday use. I really liked the Cambiocorsa system of my Maserati even though it had a bad reputation.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I hated the one in the 360 I drove. 458 on the other hand....wow what a gearbox, can't imagine owning a 458 with a manual.

To me the gearbox has to suit the car. 575 may just be GT enough to suit the F1 gearbox, I don't know...not driven an F1 575. The 550's manual is fantastic, it enhances the experience to me.

Personally, I think anything that matches ''superfast II'' (so 430 Scuderia and 599 GTO) or faster speeds and feel I'd take over manual. 360 CS I'd be very interested in one with the gearbox updated to Scuderia spec (software + the different clutch) and see if it shifts as fast. Otherwise manual conversion...

Jamie traina likes this.
  7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I NEVER thought I would consider an F1-equipped car, but my 575 presented itself (via Zygomatic :) at a very attractive price in “my” color, so I thought, “Hell, give it a whirl and see if you like it!”

I would still prefer a manual and may convert it at some point, BUT I’m not at all dissatisfied with the F1 and feel it in no way diminishes my love of the car. As Taz noted, something new to learn.

8. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Great post! I’m also interested in 430s/458s because of the value and technology. That said....I can’t sell the 550. It’s an end of an era, and icon, and has performed better than my 401K this year:p

I really do want to get into a mid engine car...never owned one. The 430 is also very reliable. My main question is do I get a 430 in a year or do I wait to get a 458. Or sell the 550 and buy a mint 458 now. Ahhh the problems with having car ADD.
    I’d hate to sell the 550 now....I’m a firm believer that these cars will be worth $200K+ within the next 5-10 years.

parkem, Bas, F456M and 1 other person like this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    congrats - what year 430 did you go with? to me the 05 and 06 sound better than the 07+ for some reason

10. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I hear ya, serious car ADD here, too! Been on the hunt for a higher-mile F430 or 360 Modena Berlinetta for several months. Initially I was focused on a 6MT car only but now I'm considering an F1, too. I do plan on keeping the 550. Good luck with your hunt!

F456M likes this.
  11. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Because of this I have 550 manual 6 gear 1997 and my special F512GTB 1997 (F355 with 512tr engine and 5 gear manual). I am allwas so happy when I hear the CLICK when change the gear. The work to change the gear makes so happy. That is really Ferrari driving. No Girly F1/PDK/DSG...driving....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

root and F456M like this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- Having driven 3 pedal Ferraris since 1975, F1 is only girly to the uneducated.

Dave rocks, Chupacabra and JimEakin like this.
  13. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    When I want to drive Automatic, then I drive my RR or MB. These F1/DSG...are for girls to drive. But girls can not drive a F40.

root and F456M like this.
  14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Ummm...I'm pretty sure there are plenty of girls who will hand you your ass on track in an F40 ;)

Il Tifoso and colamclean like this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- How childish. Do us a favor and keep your comments to yourself. Like I did originally when thinking how repugnant a wing is on a street 550. If you are trying to prove what a manly man you are, you have failed miserably.

flat_plane_eddie and colamclean like this.
  16. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Chupacabra I am sure that you do not know, how a F40 drives.
    No brake booster, no power steering, a concrete clutch, no ABS, no ASR and a turbo that starts abruptly. Even the most experienced racers and countless Ferrari masters have crashed the F40. tazandjan we here in Germany drive really fast. You can drive here really 350km/h on higway, 200kmIh at normal streets. Many American People died here in Stuttgart, when they want to drive here with your new Porsche. They are not used to drive so fast!
    I bought a Novitec wing, but the seller want mor money for the transport as for the wing.
    Some 458 owner sold the boring Ferrari and bought a 512tr, to get the feeling back of driving a real sportscar.
    Porsche is building again a Manual gear in the GT3RS, because many driver do not want this Girly PDK driving.
    Some Porsche drivers rebuilt their old Porsche with more Power and MANUAL gear: https://petrolicious.com/films/kaege-retro-porsche-911-much-more-than-a-restomod

17. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The F1 paddles were introduced to the Formula One approx. 30 years ago and became standard for all teams since 1993. I was not aware that "only" girls were driving in the Formula One for decades, including Senna (who died in a "sissy" paddle car in 1994), Schuhmacher and Villeneuve. I am sure these guys had no idea how to drive one of these hardcore, manual F40s and would crash it immediately, being girly paddle drivers...

By the way, I live in Switzerland and spend many hours with my Ferraris in Germany. I did not know that people in Germany drive "200km/h at normal streets", a least legally. Reckless speedster who endanger the lives of others, these must be real man with a stick shift F40 in their garage...

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    omg a wing on a 550??? sounds blasphemous!

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #19 tazandjan, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Tim- I lived in Europe for 14 years, 2 of them in Germany, so have plenty of time on the autobahn. No big deal compared to flying a fighter at 200' and 600 knots, especially in a Corvette or Ferrari like I owned there. The speeds you mention are pure BS. The autobahns are usually so crowded the only time you can go really fast is early in the morning on a Sunday when trucks are banned and away from large cities. In general, you can maintain a higher average speed here in the States on I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio (805 kms, where the limit is mostly 80 mph (129 kph) and anything less than 90 (145 kph) does not get the police excited. Save the autobahn war stories for gullible folks who have not lived there.

20. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Porsche is NOT building a GT3 RS with a manual gear box. Do some research. The last manual in a GT3 RS was in 2011.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  21. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  22. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  23. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    We are used in driving fast at normal streets till 250km/h but I drive this allways alone and it is not easy to make with more as 200km/h a picture. I have only this two sorry! The PDK/DSG is for people that cannot drive a manual gear, but can pay the Leasing credit! It is built for Ferrari Driver that drive to the beach. When you really want to drive fast with fun, you need a manual gear. My friend with his 360 Stradale novitec Compressor 660PS makes a rebuilt to manual gear. He drives only the Nordschleife and a F1 crashed there only. The Nordschleife is the only real racetrack in the world. I was also driving there with my Maranello. The Problem is that the Maranello has no real Downforce. ASR is also at straight lines working. You will never see there a Ferrari 488 Pista, because this is only built for show, not for driving on a racetrack. A Porsche GT3 RS with more weight and only 520PS is faster as the 488 Pista at real tracks. Ferrari built this car for the ******* to drive to the beach.... A Ferrari Formula 1 transmission ist much different as a Ferrari streeet F1/DSG. The Ferrari streeet F1 were built for the generation Automatic, for people that cannot drive a car without F1/PDK/DSG and ASR. Every housewive can drive a LaFerrari, but not a F40.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- You are as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. Anything you have to say is no longer of interest to me.