550 to F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 to F430

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 00 550, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Pretty much the thread deal breaker right there! You can't top (gun) that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave rocks likes this.
  2. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    too bad if the arguments go out .....

3. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Tim, thank you for proving my point. Once again Porsche is NOT making manual transmissions for the GT3 RS since 2011 and will never again. All the links you provided are for a regular GT3. Lousy research on your part.

4. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Yes you are right. I was driving the GT3 RS with PDK. The driving was wonderfull, the motor and PDK awfull. Such a bad Dynamo motor.....no emotions
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra

6. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's why all five of my Porsches (2 GT3 RS's) are manual transmission. The only car I have with a dual clutch is a 458 and it is brilliant, cant imagine it with a stick. I love the gated shifter in my 512TR and 550. To each their own.

TheDiffuser and Dave rocks like this.
  7. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I did the exact same thing a few years ago. After 12 years of 550 ownership I added a 08 430 f1 spider. For me they are the perfect combination and the sweet spot in the history of these ranges, plenty fast for the street without the hyper fast virtual driving experience that makes me find the current crop of supercars irrelevant for the street. The 430 is a very exciting sports car, and a perfect weekend fun car.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Inverted ? ;)

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Agree the 430 is the last model that is still fun on the street during normal daily driving. With the 458 ur either gonna kill someone or goto jail.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I went from a 456M GTa to a 360 Modena manual (With a sunroof!). No regrets, and I drive the 360 in traffic with no problems now (I do lots of legwork in my workouts, so I literally never think about the clutch; I keep it depressed at stoplights, and I'm 61). Never driven an F1 or DCT vehicle, but I will, because I'm shopping for a 612 or an FF. For me, there is no replacement for the engagement of a manual for a sports car. Paddles or even an automatic are fine for a GT though, to my taste.

11. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I couldnt agree more, I think an earlier manual car and a DC F car like the 458 is a perfect match. My combo as well.
    Two pre 458 F1 style cars I WOULD like are the CS or a Scud. Scud probably for the more developed F1 gearbox, CS because its so raw.
    Hmm - I think a Scud looms in my future... Anyone have a nice RHD example theyre moving?

12. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    There are no real good wings to buy, as for F12, 599GTB....

Many of the supercar drivers are totally overwhelmed with their supercars with ASR and DSG.
    Here in Munich, a McLaren Senna owner crashed his 30 minutes old car right after delivery.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpRtKkxnZjs/?utm_source=ig_embed

the assistance systems only deceive a security that is only available up to a certain limit. If you exceed this limit, you only have a chance to catch the car as a professional.

If I want to drive automatic, I drive my Rolls Royce or load my Ferraris on the trailer and hang it on my Rolls Royce to drive where I have fun with the Ferrari to drive. So I have no stress in the traffic jam on the highway and drive no unnecessary km on my Ferraris. If I want to be athletic, I want to have the feel of a sports car with a manual transmission.

To reinforce this sports car feelings even more, I would buy a exhaust with exhaust of Fabio Fiammenghi. That sounds like a 599 GTO

http://fiammenghiengineering.it/

That is the sound of my F512GTB (F355 with 512tr engine and 5 gear MANUAL). I will never buy a little 8 cylinder Ferrari!

For Porsche fans:
    https://petrolicious.com/articles/i-found-porsche-paradise-at-the-nurburgring-in-three-gt3s

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Tim, you have some very cool cars and seem to enjoy them a lot. I own three gated V12 Ferraris and enjoy those a lot also. (And my manual 430 Spider is far from dull). I'm sure it's a lost in translation thing that leads you to describe certain things as for girls - you don't look like you were born in the 18th century, if not. Do bear in mind that Stuttgart's finest manufacturers create their fastest and most extreme cars only in PDK/paddeshift transmissions, GT3 RS, GT2 RS, 911 Turbo S Exclusive, and all the AMGs including the most extreme ones. Maybe only 'girls' can handle them! Lesser models get manuals, like the GT3 or stock 911s. I get invited to test drive all these on the Autobahns, which they testify themselves are pretty crowded, reaching anything over 250 km/h for a decent period is only possible with a bit of forward planning.

I personally prefer manuals, but that's really a matter of opinion.

I had an interesting race with a F512M (not my own) a couple of years back. I was in a CLS 63 AMG with performance pack. I was properly impressed at the M, which must have been quite a thing to be driving at the very high speeds we reached, and it was only above 150 mph that I pulled away a bit in my armchair car. Above 174 mph, my limiter would have kicked in, but we didn't get there.

You should have put a F512M engine in your 355...lighter pistons, freer revving, more power!

14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Not good for your throwout bearing...

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You mean the brand new one I put in last year? I'm not going to worry about it. :)

16. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    I grew up with Porsche, MB, VW, BMW. My father drove different Porsche. A nightmare. In the summer we drove every weekend 180 km on the road (no highway) from Stuttgart to Switzerland on Lake Constance. Back at night over mountainous roads. Always full throttle to get home in less than 2 hours. I with my sister in the back on the emergency seats .... since I do not like Porsche 911 anymore

It's about the Ferrari driving today. Man does not have to be able to shift, has power steering and power brakes .... Step on a F40 brake
    For professional reasons, I often drive AMG and have even driven McLaren 722. They are all so boring when you first drove a Ferrari V12 handset.

Professionally, I build flushing devices for automatic transmissions. So am something of the subject. Do you actually know what it costs to overtake such a great technic DSG gearbox? At Ferrari 20-25,000 euros
    Who should pay even with an older Ferrari, this super technology? A new clutch is much cheaper. Just like new ceramic brake discs. These are the new Ferrari timing belt ... only much more expensive.

The main problem of 512tr / M are old tires due to low annual mileage. After 4 years you have to change, no matter how good the profile is. They are just too hard and the main reason for accidents.
    Such a 512M engine you get almost donated .... mine has more horsepower than a 512M, has different timing, higher compression, polished channels, other air filters and special software from Ferrari. I want to convert but in 1-2 years to a new Biturbo with special loaders, freely programmable controller, etc. The King Specials Competition my friend has 1000Ps and runs 370kmIh. But hardly mobile. I want to be more mobile and get 750hp with a lot of power down too. Best regards Tim

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Themaven, root and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Tim, you definitely know your stuff and we all get there are different preferences but it's just the way you were coming across saying they're for "girls". There are many reasons why some people have F1s/DCTs over stick and ultimately it doesn't matter as its their money.

18. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Political madness has been breaking out in the world for a few years. Since we are not seriously arguing about the type of circuit in a Ferrari but us with a lot of fun to fool each other. Unfortunately, Google Translate has no humor. In German we say: what loves that teases ....
    A Ferrari driver will always fool a Porsche driver .... let's see how Google translates that?
    What a great situation we live in when we argue about our luxury cars. Many people in the world do not know how and where to live !!!!

Here's an example of old tires and an inexperienced driver:

19. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Looks like Google replaced correctness with madness in the translation? I thought this conversation started light hearted but turned serious and a little personal probably at least partly due to translation. When Tim said "girly" I heard Hans & Franz voice In SNL and had a chuckle. I love the iconic gated shifter in a Ferrari, but wouldn't mind F1 in the right model (430 or 559). It is personal preference that changes over time especially when tactile feel is more important than performance.

We will pump... clap... you up!

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #45 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Really?Also has a Daytona,512BBi,360 Spider, in her stable.ohh no Porsche?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  21. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    OK I see here a older woman standing at a F40 in Racing outfit. She looks not like a IT-Girl! No picture or video of driving!
    But in Germany Biggi makes there sometimes a Testarossa meeting. She and 2-3 womans came with their own Testarossa, really driving. But they are no beach girls...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  23. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    It’s an ‘06. Sounds amazing

24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yup the backfire gurgle burble is amazing

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I see a line of Testarossa's ,with not even a woman in sight ...never mind actually driving one of them:rolleyes:

And no sign of a Roller towing a track Ferrari LOL

You have to do better my friend.