550 tubi exhaust question | Page 5 | FerrariChat

550 tubi exhaust question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by george001, Jul 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    phil - no response from the email?

--dan

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    which email?? Didn't get one for ages from you.

You must have some setting that block hotmail senders or something, if you didn't get my last reply??

I reply to every email I get if it needs one.

3. paul.zr1

paul.zr1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul Dehnert
    Here's the info Quicksilver emailed me:

"Stage 2 - Quicksilver ‘Sports’ Centre Section. The sports centre section eliminates the large and restrictive centre silencer and replaces it with a tube assembly incorporating a siamese section to maintain the correct back pressure and exhaust tone. The section allows the volume and flow to increase in unrestricted proportion with revs.
    As the sports section is considerably lighter than the standard exhaust section the weight of the car is reduced still further."

I assume where they talk about the siamese section they mean the pipes are actually open and connected to each other. Don't know for sure, however.

Paul

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yep, I guess it is then. Any pics etc

5. paul.zr1

paul.zr1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul Dehnert
    #105 paul.zr1, Nov 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    That's like the first pipes we made. can't say I'm impressed with the pipe bending though.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    What is the "plug" on their center section (look at the bottom left).

Agreed with Stephen - even the stebro is worlds better than that!

--Dan

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Thats not a plug, it's the mounting pin.

That centre section is like my Mk2... not a true siamese, but a parallel port.

I just fitted the Mk2 to a new customer, and he's very happy with it... he only drove the car for a few days before, and had his thumb out the window before he drove out of sight with the new exhaust fitted!!. And the guy with the Mk4 loves it too....

I'll have a few Mk3's and a couple of Mk5's (Mk3 incorporating small silencer), will be ready 3rd week of December.

Current problem is air filter supply. Green cotton having troubles, so BMC.. which are great, but $80 each more expensive.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    If one runs test pipes is the mk5 essential?

--Dan

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    HELL YES!!!

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    For the old guy here; please recap the features of the
    MK 2
    MK 3
    MK 4
    MK 5
    so I know which one to harangue you about........
    TIA,
    james

12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #112 ferrarifixer, Nov 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ok...

Mk1 was a long siamese/parallel chamber combination. This was the system that was dynoed to produce 541BHP with BMC air filters, and no ther mods. And the car was dynoed before and produced 486BHP in std form. Sounds nice. (12 cylinders noise). Prototype, steel, black ceramic coated.

Mk2 was the parallel port... like the QS pipe. Sounds ok (two six cylinders) but not as sweet as a true siamese. Prototype, steel, shiny ceramic coated.

Mk3 is what stephens is running.. pretty siamese made from polished stainless with decorative tig welding. Excellent sound and I "think" better power... but we haven't done true comparative tests to confirm as too many other changes have been made.Photo.

Mk4. A narrower siamese section to raise back pressure slightly. Really sweet sound, but "probably" less top end power... not dynoed. Prototype, steel, shiny ceramic coated.

Mk5. Not made yet, but a Mk3 with small silencers in line after the siamese.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    great information, and something to think about.

If one chose a new MK 5 w/small silencers, and kept the std. cats, could one then eliminate the expensive Tubi rear boxes and still not be legislated off the road by ones neighbors & fun-police (sound-wise)?

thanks,
    james

(I especially like the ones with the decorative TIG welding......)

14. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Not tested for that. I actually like the noise it makes with just std rear boxes. Apart from appearance, 550 Tubi rear boxes dont justify their expense in my opinion... I actually dislike the noise they make.

If you think 20kg is important on a 1750kg car, then ditch the rear boxes for something smaller, lighter. But unless you track the car (and can lap consistently to within a tenth or two), I'd spend my money elsewhere.

15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Tubi money already a part of the car......no point to remove at this point. Looks like my name on one of the MK 3's?
    (with the decorative TIG welding please.......)

james

16. paul.zr1

paul.zr1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul Dehnert
    Phil,

How much for an MK3?

Thanks, Paul

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    If power loss for the 4 and 5 are similar, why choose 4 over 5, even if running test pipes?

--Dan

18. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I don't know about power loss for 5 yet, but the silencers will be quite small, so I wouldn't assume much loss at all.

Mk 4 was just made for curiosity, and although I "Think" it makes better torque than a Mk3, I haven't proved it, and people always buy power improvers not torque improvers... despite torque being what we feel 90% of the time.

I only have the MK1 left anyway. I'll make Mk3 and Mk5 only for stock, but any can be made to order.

Mk5 will be around ~US$850, ~AUD$1100, but not confirmed until built. Any of the others will be a little cheaper, as they'll have no silencing. All will be built from polished stainless unless specified otherwise.

They take about 2-3 hrs to fit, and no other parts are needed. No nuts, bolts or anything... you just swap the front clamps from the old system to the new...

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Swapping the center pipe should be about 1-1.5 hours, no? I'm assumign there's little to no cutting necessary.

I'm tempted to go with a mk4

--Dan

20. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If you're lucky, maybe. But it can be a little strugglesome to separate the old pipes, and making sure of perfect fit with no touching and even length tail pipes protrusion etc.

2-3 hrs will get a proper job done. I also put lockwire on the front end clamp to catalytic converter to stop it slipping back should it try.... one came loose once, which can happen if you rush or do the job with the car warm and the new part cold.

Absolutely no cutting needed. Only need sockets etc, and some lube to loosen the old pipe. If the slip joint is a little tight, I use a pneumatic hammer to shake it off/on, as there is no easy place to hit with a hammer without damage.

21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Bump, for the benefit of a certain Fchatter having trouble finding it.

The Mk3 and Mk5 systems are in production as we speak. But looking like they'll run over xmas.

22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Phil - xmas is over now.....

Happy valentines Day!

Assume my )( pipe is winging its way to me even as we (speak)..........?
    Car has become a sorry garage-queen waiting for its exhaust.......this is getting embarassing.....

James

(was going to threaten you by saying I've signed onto the list for a 599 so the blue car is going away; but we all know what a hollow threat that is! Local dealer "doesn't even have a list"! Yeah, right!

Imagine how great those years could be, wailing through the mountain passes with my )( pipe & Tubi....no annoying resonances.....no longer setting off every car alarm in a 6 story garage as I drive in & out.......are my pleas falling on deaf ears?

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    James: do yourself a favor and dump the tubi.

--Dan

24. joe g

joe g Rookie

Mar 2, 2006
    Have a 550 all stock with tubi mufflers. Looking for more & better sound. Tubi center pipes are a pricey $2,100. Would like a link or phone number for a alternative center pipe. See Sterbo mentioned, can't get a web site up, and Quicksilver who I have no info on. Anyone enlighten me?

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ok, FINALLY, I have all the pipes sitting in my shop, all wrapped for shipping, all ready to go.

Just waiting on shipping clarification, and they'll be sent.

Photo's of MK3B and MK5 later, but no time today.

Also, wife about to give birth again, so excuse me for erratic responses!