550 tubi exhaust question | Page 6 | FerrariChat

550 tubi exhaust question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by george001, Jul 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Phil: is there no end to your excuses? (smilies)
    Seriously, best wishes to you both!

James
    (making appointment with shop to install )( pipes.........)

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #127 ferrarifixer, Mar 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, MK3B is pretty much identical to MK3, except it's made of lighter gauge Type 109 stainless, and the siamese is moved back a little. This simply makes less bends necessary, and accomodates the option for the silencers in the MK5, so both options can be built in the same jig using the same pipework.

This current run are all mandrel bent, with no reduction of diameter anywhere, and the internal surface of the siamese is flowed more neatly.

They are both ceramic coated inside and out, which keeps gas velocity up and reduces radiated heat.

The open pipe weighs only 5kg/11lbs, the MK5 weighs 6.5kg/13lbs. The original centre section of a 550 weighs 13kg, and has a 40% reduction of pipe diameter at the silencer exits.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Anyone have photos of a 575 center exhaust to confirm it has no center muffler?

Will the Mk5 fit a 575?

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The very first 575's had the same exhaust as the 550 in the centre, but there are just a few.

Later 575's have a similar silencer, but it's outlet pipes go further up over the gearbox, quite different to 550. So I'm afraid the 550 pipes don't fit a late 575.

Besides, the need for 575 is less... it breathes better than a 550 as std.

5. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Thanks.

Anyone have a picture comparing the center section for a 550 vs. a later 575? The 3M shop commented the exhaust sounds good (haven't received car yet), which surprised me as the exhaust should be stock at the moment. ;)

Wondering if there were any other changes?

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #131 ferrarifixer, Mar 23, 2006
  7. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    At risk of repeating both several posts and my own experience, I've installed an X pipe, had the stock rear mufflers "wired" open and added performance air filters.

The X pipes weigh less and IMO make a noticable difference in engine performance, esp mid range. They also sound a better. The air filters also help with overall performance. By opening up the stock mufflers, you get a noticable addition to the sound itself--of course, not like Tubi, but I'd guess about 1/2 of the difference between original stock and Tubi. Tubi's are just too loud for my day to day use, esp in the neighborhood.

This entire change, including installation, cost me approx $1,800. It was well worth it.

8. Desmo550

Desmo550 Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    UK
    Ferrarifixer pure genius - thanks. I had your unsilenced )( pipe fitted today to my perforated (quieter) Tubi system. I've never been completely happy with the Tubi as the sound, although it less resonance than the original unperforated, had a burbling on idle, which sounded as though the car was underwater. Addition of your ceramic covered )( pipe absolutely hits the spot for me personally on all the following counts:

1 - Quieter inside car, less resonance at that famous Tubi low rev band
    2 - Just the right noise level externally - perfect for the 550
    3 - Much improved exhaust note. Harder edged and better pitch at high revs (its out of the fish tank!)
    4 - Its provided an instant cure to the pinking I was experiencing in higher gears under full bore acceleration following a replacement of a faulty ECU/remap
    5 - Less heat comes up through the centre console

A highly recommended buy

9. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    I tried both a center X-Pipe and Straight Pipes on the 575.

Stock 575 straight pipes sounded better by far.

P.S. The 550 doesn't have these straight pipes, just the 575 and Superamerica.

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    And on the 550 straight pipe give you an additional 25 rwhp from 3900rpm to redline on a stock exhaust system. I had it tested back to back, same dyno, same day. From a performance perspective, the crossover pipe does not work at all on the V12.

11. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Dear Stephens,
    Now I'm confused, when you refer to the crossover pipe you mean the stock central resonator? But X-pipes are better right, extra 30hp over stock right? Or do I need to upgrade from X-pipes to the 575 straight pipes ? Are the pipe diameters still 2.25"?
    Ron

12. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    ..just to clarify by X-pipes I mean ferrarifixer's siamesed pipes,
    Ron

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Straight 2 1/4" pipes produce make another 25rwhp over the siamesed pipes. Same dyno, same car, same day. Going to a full 3" system makes significantly more power again.

14. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    Just a quick note that I was mentioning the center resonator pipes where straights sounded much better than an X configuration. I have always had Fuchs SS mufflers behind the straight pipes or X-pipes when tested.

15. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Desmond
    You finally did it. Are you happy with your choice? Did I push you over the edge?

16. Desmo550

Desmo550 Rookie

Sep 30, 2005
    UK
    Greg, you certainly did, with a bit of help from Mahatma Ghandi to justify my spending more on this damn car...

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.. "

Many thanks

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I hope to see you in maranello with the maranello!

18. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Just bought a used 2004 575M. I was told it had Tubi exhaust. It is extremely loud. Sounds quite cool from outside, not terribly pleasing from inside. Some droning on the highway.

I decided to have a peek underneath to confirm.
    It has parallel straight pipes from the catalytics all the way back to the differential area, then bent pipes with what look like heat shilelds on them. At the very back are the Tubi tips. In other words, straight trough from the catalytics to the back. No silencers of any kind that I can discern from outside. The labels on the straight and mid section pipes say Zeuna Starker and lots of part numbers. The exhaust tips are labeled Tubi.

Does anyone rcognize this setup What is Zeuna Starker? Is this a good setup for a late model 575, and does it make any more horsepower to make up for all the noise?
    Thanks

19. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #144 frefan, Sep 4, 2006
  20. 550marcelo

550marcelo Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 6, 2006
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    MARCELO
    How about performance? Have you notice any difference?
    I have a 550 with a final Tubi only. I have the same filling. I am missing the nice v12 noise on high RPMs .
    How about temp of the cabin? Is it better now?

21. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    550marcelo
    I did the tubi (2nd gen), the center x-pipe stebro, and the BMC filters. I love it. Is it loud, yes! Is it faster, yes. I have not had it on a dyno, but seat of the pants guess would be maybe 20-25hp gain. It is hard to keep the power to the ground even with 19" wheels. The cabin temp is about the same. If you want a wav file of the exhaust I will send it to you.
    2000 550M

22. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    From mufflers alone you wont really gain much power. The major benifit would be the weight savings from factory. We are just about done testing our complete exhaust system. The straight pipes vs X pipe do give more power but resonate in low RPM. Our final system design start with long tube headers, High flow cats, X pipe, ending in race mufflers. The complete system is 3" from the cats back. The car sounds like a real F1 race car, much better then factory or factory with only mufflers.