550 Upgrade: 19" Rims & MovIt Brakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Upgrade: 19" Rims & MovIt Brakes

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bjc138, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shelbee

shelbee Guest

what are the pluses and minuses between BREMBO and MOVIT??

2. gl911

gl911 Rookie

Jun 5, 2004
    Luxembourg
    The Movit calipers that I have gotten on the three cars as compared to the Brembos on either Ferrari or Porsche are one piece vs 2 and are in this case machined. I know for a fact that any Brembo caliper currently on offer for road use, or as a matter of fact any AP Racing one (Had 4 cars with those) will actually "open up" under hard braking (around 70 to 80 bar pressure if not mistaken), the cast Movit calipers won't move. They are also lighter.

The disks are different alltogether and resist cracks much better as the holes are not drilled but cast. No tension to the material.

While this is subjective, they also modulate better, just a more consistant feel to the pedal and the braking point, quite important when using cars without ABS. (or even with)

Btw SBL who does the PCCB disks for Porsche even looks at these guys for clues....

3. gl911

gl911 Rookie

Jun 5, 2004
    Luxembourg
    By the way, Movit started using Brembo calipers in its early days and went away from them.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Strictly speaking from a price perspective, Brembos are cheaper here in the US.

They also have a better customer-technical relationship. I am still trying to get information to know what all I would need to in theory install them on my car. Brembo was just easier to work with to get similar details.

That said, I am still looking into it since brembo does not allow the function of the parking brake with their rear application.

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    gl 911, I have to agree with you on the physics of tracking the 550, or any car for that matter. I think what Maranelloman and I were saying is that the stock brakes can be quite adequate to the task if maintanenced properly and with the right pads do ok. My conclusion was that the car is a blast to drive fast but to really enjoy the track, you would have to put the car on a serious diet. I had a built viper that had considerably more hp than my 550 and 500lbs less weight but it too was a handful on the brakes. Ultimately, from my track experience, there is nothing that can compensate for weight reduction and 3700# is a lot to stop. I am setting up a 2500# boxster with 3.4 carrera engine conversion and 996 brakes as my idea of a fun track car.
    While the 550 is a very responsive and beautifully mannered road car, tracking would be hard on the car just because of how heavy it is, unless it is a very open high speed track, but you still have to stop her!
    Thanks for the pics of your TVR. Sounds like you have quite a nice stable of cars to draw from.