550 Virtual Project (Any technical info is appreciated!) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 Virtual Project (Any technical info is appreciated!)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by garyjpaterson, Sep 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Gary Paterson
    Well, my work on the 550 is now more or less finished - now its moved onto the rest of the team for some final polish/tweaks, mostly to textures, and general optimisation. Hopefully it will be coming out in the next few weeks, fingers crossed!

As always, bumper album of the whole creation progress is here: https://imgur.com/a/bHTv5

Here are some highlights!

Lots of fun physics testing - this is against the official Maserati MC12, though we are 99% sure it is not in 2004 specification like ours are, instead looking like a neutered, limited 2009 spec.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nice to get a good look round the interior - can't get away with anything these days with VR, have to model all areas!

Liveries being built as we speak (not by me), only fictional brands/logos to avoid any copyright infringement, though we will release templates that allow anyone to design their own liveries as they please.

Testing the collision all works properly ;)

And of course, just starting on the 575 now, shouldn't take nearly as long since much of the leg work has already been done. In the early stages of matching the unique body shape before grafting it into the existing shell I've made for the 550. Not much to show quite yet :)

Patrik550 likes this.
  2. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Very nice work. The little air scoop on the driver's side rear fender appears to be missing.

3. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Also, the color list is missing one of my favorite Maranello colors Grigio Canna di Fucile.

4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Beat me to it! Yes, this is the scoop for rear transaxle oil cooler. It is on the left side of the car regardless of LHD or RHD. Also, there should be a fuel filler door on top of the right rear quarter panel, basically in the same location opposite of the transaxle cooler scoop.

As for the 550's top speed....although I've not personally done it (yet), a 550 unmodified is known to be able to reach an honest 199 mph, if not an actual 200. And it gets there pretty quickly, too, pulling like a proverbial freight train all the way up with no hesitation or "drop off" covering the final few "knots". This is indicative of its relatively small frontal area and overall slippery aerodynamics.

5. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Gary Paterson
    For the 550 Maranello? Yes I'm not finished that yet, thats a personal project. The GTS race car is finished now, as its being commisioned, and I've definitely added the scoops on those!

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky