550 vs. 575 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 vs. 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by gabf1, Jan 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

exactly

2. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Geoff, as expected, emotional arguments against technical facts, F1 against manual gearbox....

My suggestion, drive a 550 and then decide which one fit's you personally better....

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As well as the usual variation in quality in used cars, there is more variation between 575s than 550s. FHP/HGTC/neither, date of manufacture as I learned from Taz, and there was more difference in the 575s I have driven than between 550s from different years.

I'm not going to give my opinion on overall preference on mine as I am saving that for when I finally I drive them back to back on a big drive.

Ferrari's own quality control also progressed in this timespan.

4. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    In a galaxy far far away, Ferrari replaced their 550 model with the 575M - but no F1 transmission option was available and there was no dodgy shock absorber ECU 183960...

Both the original 550 and the later 575M models drove very well in their standard chassis configurations and FHP chassis upgrades were seldom seen on either model - as the original owners were generally looking for the full GT experience.

The 550s are more abundant and tend to need a little more in terms of 'maintenence investment' to keep them in tip top condition but prime examples of the 550 trade for just as much as the comparatively rarer, comparatively less troublesome, marginally more energetic, younger sibling.

:)

5. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I agree. I took my car out today for lunch in between the rain we've been having. The shifts are smooth as butter on a warm summer day.

6. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Thanks. Yes I agree. And as always it is the emotional response I get when I'm in a car that tells me what I want. 0-60 times are meaningless. I own a cls63 S and it's currently for sale because the car doesn't do it for me. My 335i is staying with me because of handling characteristics and overall feel. Go figure :)

7. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Great perspective. After a year of ownership, I've spent $1,100 in service repairs. I am pretty happy about that. My brother just bought a boxer. That car, I'm sure, will be an eye opener.