550 VS Gallardo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 VS Gallardo

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stephens, Apr 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I owned THEM BOTH FOR A FEW MONTHS.
    I had an opportunity to run them against eaxh other on a deserted
    Toll road.My Gallardo at the time was bone stock. The 550 had just Tubi exhaust mod.
    The run started at 55 mph and went bto I think about 135 ir 140?

The Gallardo initially took a 3 to 4 car jump ahead . It was continually pulling the 550 but not "wiping it out". The 550 did much better against the G car than the 360's I've run against.

2. BlueMaranello

BlueMaranello Karting

May 29, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Steve

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    On the 575 rather than use upgardedairfilters, they increased the capacity of the whole intake system, bigger filters, air meters etc.
    As to the exhaust, well that's debatable, it is certainly much more "aggressive" sounding than a standard car.
    The Superamerica is now being quoted wtih 540hp, which is just a midly tweaked 575.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Mark
    Bring the Gallardo to Melbourne and I'll give you a first hand demonstration! :)

The Gallardo standard is less than 150kg lighter than the 550, with significantly less torque and a 4wd system to eat up the power. Great for a fast launch though.... No one has disputed that a Gallardo is faster than a standard 550. It should be faster! Not night and day, but quicker non the less.
    My point was, that with these minor mods to my car, it is now demonstrably quicker than the Gallardo, not that Gallardos are slower than 550's

5. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Stephen, no argument from me. I just posted the link because it got mentioned. As Phil said, the driver of the 550 in the pic didn't look like he was trying.

All great cars if you ask me... :)

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    In all fairness, it should be noted that Stevens car not only gains power by these mods, but the exhaust changes decrease weight!!!

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    yeah... but Stephen won't mind me saying that he is at least 20kg heavier than professional driver Paul Stokell...who was driving one of the Gallardos... and the other driver of the Gallardo was Will Davidson...who recently tested for Minardi and is no slouch either........

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    LOL

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Just noticed this thread. Not to start anything, but there is no way that a stock 550 takes a stock Gallardo (both cars on street tires). I like both cars, and drove a Gallardo on the track with several other cars, including a 550. Sorry to rain on your parade, but Gallardo walks away from the 550. It doesn't annihilate the 550, but it is clearly a faster car, in all respects. The Gallardo can brake later, corner quicker and accelerate faster. I love the classic & timeless design of the 550, and I think the shape is very sexy. And, the V12 is very nice indeed. I really do like the 550.

And, it sounds like you are running race-spec tires. Anyone with any track experience knows that makes a world of difference. Sure, the Lambo has AWD, but that doesn't help nearly as much as race tires, especially in corner-exit speeds, which are crucial in track situations.

By the way, calling the car a Gaylardo shows your obvious preference and lack of objectivity.

And calling out a Gallardo owner for money may not be the wisest choice on your part. I know of a few Gallardos that have done similar mods to your car, and you may want to hold onto your wallet.

Both great cars, but let's be a little more realistic and objective.

10. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was lucky enough to be a passenger in the Lambo G, driven VERY well by Paul Stokell for a few hot laps at Sandown last Friday.
    I was impressed.
    The yellow car was what they called a Lamborghini Gallardo S.
    It has a Tubi exhaust system (which makes the V10 sound a lot better) and supposedly has 510HP.
    It ran on Corsa System 19" tyres (the same as what is on the CS, but not as good as the Corsas for track work)
    The 4WD was a distinct help in the slower corners at Sandown, especially corners 2,3 & 4.
    The brakes worked well on standard pads, but were not able to do more than a few laps at a time.
    This very same car will be the one Paul drives in Targa Tasmania later on this month, against a gaggle of Porsche GT3's and Turbos, GTR Skylines, Evos etc.
    He is hoping to be an outright contender against 7 time winner Jim Richards in a GT3, Tony Quinn in his Porsche Turbo, and Tony Longhurst in a special WRX STi. He is also hoping for some wet weather!
    Although I was impressed, I still like the F430 better :)

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Gallardo S? I doubt this was the production version of the Gallardo S, probably something they referred to on their own. To the best of my knowledge, Lambo has not officially released the Gallardo S. And, the factory Gallardo S is supposed to have 550hp+, and RWD.

12. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think it would a Gallardo with the Sport Option rather than the Gallardo S (as you mention this is not release as of yet). The Sports Option is around 3K and would have stiffer suspension, Accentera (sp) Steering wheel, and a few other things - I have heard it has a few more HP - due to a more tuned Engine Management System - so could be 510HP...

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    A Gallardo with the same mods as my own car, as confirmed by Andrew, was observed to be SLOWER in a straight line, yet I'm not being objective?
    Realistic, well it happened in the real world, doesn't get more realitic than that does it? Objectivity, the highly respected RACE drivers in the Gallardos brought it to my attention, how objective is that? None of the parties involved was there to prove anything, we were just circulating a track and having a good time, I'm sorry that offends you!

Off the back of the previous video's and trash talk by the Lambo set, I find it very amusing, that a car with an exhaust system upgrade was quicker than a car that according to some, was virtually a joke, performance wise, compared to the Gallardo.

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #39 Mark(study), Apr 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ring times from Sport Auto.(All done by the same driver)

06/1997 Ferrari F355 - 8:18
    06/1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello - 8:07
    12/2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello - 8:05
    10/1999 Ferrari 360 Modena - 8:09
    02/2004 Ferrari Challenge Stradale - 7:56

12/2003 Lamborghini Gallardo - 7:52
    06/2002 Lamborghini Murciélago - 7:50
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    And yet the 360 is 2.5 sec quicker than the 550 at Fiorano, according to Ferrari figures. Strange.

Gary

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wouldn't short tight tracks favor the 360 over a 550?
    Ring times are fun because its such a long track with a bit of everything.

Ring times from Sport Auto.(All done by the same driver)
    06/1997 Ferrari F355 - 8:18
    06/1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello - 8:07
    12/2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello - 8:05
    10/1999 Ferrari 360 Modena - 8:09
    02/2004 Ferrari Challenge Stradale - 7:56

12/2003 Lamborghini Gallardo - 7:52
    06/2002 Lamborghini Murciélago - 7:50

17. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Could that be because the Fiorano track is relatively tight, where weight, handling and braking play a more impotrant role.
    The 55O/575's need to have power circuits.

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Consenus is that Fiorano lap times are "marketing" numbers. As an example, Schuey has done a 1.28 in a Maranello with FHP at Fiorano, yet the official number is significantly higher.

19. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    "Observed" by whom? What you say does not offend me, I really could care less what you think of your car versus car x, y, or z. And, if you call yourself objective, the use of the term "Gaylardo" proves that to be false.

Here's some objective/factual/real information for you:

Nurburgring times (published, verified, same driver, not "observed", these are factual numbers):
    7:52 Gallardo
    8:07 550
    Fifteen seconds difference...

...but maybe the Gallardo is somehow slower in the straight line on the Ring. Uh, don't think so.

The 550 is a nice car, but stock for stock, and same mods for same mods, the 550 loses. You want proof? Look at the Nurburgring times. Those numbers are real.

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Firstly, you seem to miss the whole point of my post, which now seems intentional as you keep on repeating it despite clarification, perhaps because it doesn't suit your position.
    I DID NOT SAY A 550 WAS FASTER AROUND A RACE TRACK THAN A GALLARDO.
    What I did say was the 550 was faster accelerating on the day on a track day at Sandown, completely at odds with previous comments/observation on this board.

As an aside, if you want to be technical about the 'Ring times you have quoted, they are not on the same day under the same condition, so they are immediately somewhat meaningless anyway, unless you are able to confirm the track conditions were the same for both cars. the 550 times posted are with a tyre that is at least a generation older than that on the Gallardo, the suspension being the "soft" version also, not the FHP. It would actually be interesting to see how a 550 with FHP and new tyres would do against the Gallardo around the ring. BUT THIS IS IRRELEVANT TO MY POST ANYWAY.

21. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I have seen a Gallardo vs. 550 video posted by a guy named allen lambo, some of you guys know him; he is such a ***. Anyway, the 550 loses; but I am positive it was rigged.

22. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    First of all,

i might well believe the Gallardo might be quicker than a 550, but given the right (and wrong) guys, it could also outperform a Murcielago.
    Anyway, the point of the 550 is not being the quickest on a track or whatsoever (though it does and we see it here again perform quite well), but rather it provides a very elegant, timeless way to travel in a very relaxed and quick way from A to B, with a decent amount of luggage, in one word, it is the perfect GT. I just can't compare it to a gallardo, while i don't mind comparing the later with a over-tuned Mitsu EVO. The lambo (and any recent Lambo IMO) lacks all the elegance and class the Maranello has.
    No offense with that, but it looks a bit too much like a toy, a boys' dream or so, a McLaren F1 is far more subtle, even an enzo is.
    Lastly, considering the video, come on guys, forget that. In the first run, the window is opened on the 550, there are always two guys inside etc. You don't know much fuel each has, what kind of fuel, tires etc (though, construction wise, the Lambo should have the egde at least on 0-60, the same way a 996 GT2 will kick the arse of the Lambo the whole way up to 125 mph, and the same way a SL55 AMG derestricted eats a Murcielago on 0-300 kmh -though here there is no weight balance question, just a bloody blower)

23. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    An SL55 will not touch a murcielago on its way to 300 KPH.

24. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I think he is referring to the infamous Autocar test.

25. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    No, i'm referring to the original AMS test (Auto motor & Sport)
    But they're probably the same.

Anyway, straight line performance is an issue....real life another.
    Any kit car Cobra (or daytona for better Cd value) with a decent 20Ks 10 Litre engine pumping out 800 Bhp or so would give us all a run for our money.
    But that's not the point.