575 air-con compressor | FerrariChat

575 air-con compressor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Drew Waters, Dec 31, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Hi all,
    Is the Air-con compressor for a 2002 575M the same as any other make or model? A genuine one is pretty expensive, so I wondered if this may be a stock item by a third party which could be sourced outside of the Ferrari dealer channel?

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I have a 550 my tech sent mine out and had it rebuilt it's been perfect ..

3. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Thanks mate. Finding someone to rebuild them in Sydney seems to be a challenge as is finding the bits to refurbish it seems as this was done about 18 months back. I’ll check out the GM line.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you know the manufacturer name and part number? It may be a Sanden.

It may be helpful if you know the type of pulley you have (pulley diameter, how many grooves and what type of grooves). I had trouble finding a new compressor for my F355 in Australia. I ended up buying an original Sanden, but with an extra groove (still compatible). However, I also had to replace the end fittings (direct swap from the old one).
    Sanden can supply you with instructions on how to do this. I may still have a copy somewhere.

I went for a new one for reliability and appearance purposes.

F456M likes this.
  5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The pricing on these seem to vary more than reasonably when I read the prices some pay here. I paid about 700 euro for a new original «Ferrari» AC compressor in Italy at the workshop in Modena. They should not cost 4-5 x that price just because they are far away from Maranello.

6. Patrik550

Patrik550 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik

My ac-comp stopped working years ago. The local (only) F-dealer in Sweden said a new one would cost me USD 4,500 and advised me to look for one on e-bay. No luck so far....

7. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So a Delphi or Delphi-Harrison 6580332 according to the collective wisdom of FChat.

If you were in the USA, you'd probably just send it to places like PolarBearInc for refurb.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/price-info-on-aircon-compressor-550.508048/

This website suggests that Sanden make an alternative:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compressor-w-Clutch-for-Ferrari-456-1995-1998-NEW-OEM/154189460346?fits=Model:456+GT|Make:Ferrari&hash=item23e668737a:g:eVcAAOSwH-RfrBKE

Note: According to the Eurospares website, the 456 compressor is interchangeable with the 550 compressor

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/search?partNumber=204539

Maybe you could contact the Sanden compressor seller on eBay for the Sanden part number?

Anyone know if Gowegroup has a good reputation? I see a 2 star reputation on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com.au/GOWE-COMPRESSOR-DKV14C-506021-2353-506221-1371/dp/B01FOAJSSA

This site has the specs for the compressor.

3. Compressor Model:V5;
    4.Pulley Diameter:117mm*;
    5.No. of Grooves:6PK;
    6.Voltage:12V;
    8.OEM NO.:170594 164547 204539 6580332 0151144;

GOWE manufacturing part number GWE-39002097
    *some sites say 118mm

Original Delphi (some assembly required) from a USA source
    https://www.ebay.com/c/526283351

Still expensive for Aussies if you factor in exchange rates, postage, GST. I don't know if this is suitable for the new gas?

Here are some (too low) aftermarket prices:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33005382089.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.67552bc76y70Sh

https://www.dhgate.com/product/v5-air-conditioner-compressor-for-ferrari/440820351.html#redirect_detail=WAP2PC

Patrik550 likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see that Sanden website has this note about the Ferrrari 456 compressor:

Please compare the picture to your original compressor. There are two possible compressors for some of the vehicles above. If you are unsure of which one you need please contact us with any numbers off your original compressor or to email a photo.

I can't find any details on the two types. Buyer beware )

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Well spotted! Gotta read the fine print.

11. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It’s probably cheap enough to buy, post directly to someone in the US that can recondition, then have them post to Sydney

12. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    #12 15765, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    I used a new clutch coil from a 1988 Cadillac Catera for My Maranello and the rest of the Compressor appeared to be the same, take the the compressor assembly to one of the larger A/C repair shops and have them compare it to the ones they have on the shelf the, only difference was that the Diode that keeps stored electricty power in the clutch coil from going back to the Computer needs to be taken off the old clutch wire and put on the new one, because GM puts the Diode in the fuse box area instead of in line. The Compressors are standard parts that Ferrari bought off shelf in Germany for about $400.00 and added a Zero to get there sale price. You have to realize Yellow Boxes don't come cheap.

Chuck

F456M likes this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Brand new factory «Ferrari AC compressor. 860 euro minus 20 % discount (I did not ask for a discount!) + 22% Italian VAT (Value Adddd Tax) = 839 euro. + installation and refrigerant of course. So how you guys can accept to pay 4-5 times more at your US dealership is hard for me to understand. The dealers has of course their discounts as a dealer too! And Patrik, just call Motor Service in Modena and you can get one from them and leave the bill on the passenger seat when you leave the car to the Swedish dealer to install it. They have seen Wall Street to many times. «Greed is good» is not always true when they don’t make the sale. If you are to use the car in southern Europe or even Sweden on a hot summer day for that matter, AC is is mandatory!! Best of luck. Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Patrik550 and Qavion like this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The part number "204539/A" suggests an aftermarket replacement. Could this be why your bill was cheaper?

Did you also fit an aftermarket tensioner bearing? (Hills Engineering?)

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have no idea to be honest. I have never thought about it. What would be the difference between the two? Would the original one make colder air? I guess that only have to do with the pressure differential between the high and low pressure side? The pressure is controlled by the high ad low pressure switches. When I got the car, I was not impressed by the cold air temp. Later it became worse, and when I re-filled it in France at a local AC guy, it was much colder than when I got it from Ferrari when it was just replaced. I have assume later that they did not put in enough refrigerant...!! Now that I also have more powerful fans and can let the AC be on all the time, it should both stay colder and let med have the inside air recirculating longer for an even better result... Curious to know If I got a semi good compressor. Thanks for sharing! Erik

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    How accessible is the compressor on a 456M? Is there a brand and model plate on it? This would be good information for others, especially if it's a reputable brand (Sanden, etc) as the original Delphi seems to be hard to find.

17. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The Ferrari dealership in Sydney (FMS) sent mine out for repair/rebuild about 2 years ago when I the car in for a cam belt replacement. No issues since then.
    Have you checked with them?

Qavion likes this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I am about to change the oil and filters and I can take a look. And post here if I see any name and number on it. As long as it blows ice cold, I don’t care what kind of AC compressor I have. It has about 45.000 kms. on it now and still work. :)

Qavion likes this.
  19. Patrik550

Patrik550 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    Thanks Erik for this tip. I will certainly contact them for the purchase of a ac-compressor. Ferrari in Sweden did indeed mention it would be cheaper to source it myself. I am puzzled why they too can't buy it from your mentioned source and charge me a more sensible fee. However, they did mention that their "official" part no is 170594 (Ferrari), and if I were to source it myself , I would have to look for part no 204539 (Ebay), which fits with the number in your quotation./ Regards Patrik

F456M likes this.
  20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari dealers are often restricted to Ferrari OEM only parts. Depends on the dealer.

Patrik550 likes this.