575, COLD start up issue. | FerrariChat

575, COLD start up issue.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Konadog06, Sep 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Upon taking my car in for it's annual service (for the paper trail), it has not been starting "normal" as it always had. It now will not start to fast idle. The accelerator pedal must be tapped raising the rpm until it catches the fast idle sequence and then everything is fine. At that point the idles holds fast as normal, gradually coming back down normally as it warms up. No other issues.
    I realize this should have nothing to do with an annual service however, is it possible that something, a connector or similar, could have been nudged to change this? Curious if anyone has experienced similar or if there were any ideas where to look first.
    The battery switch has been recycled a couple times followed with the required start up procedure documented here, in the hopes that this may not have been done right. No luck. There are no warning lamps or other symptoms.
    Thanks for any comments.
    Bill
    FL

2. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Check the cold air valve.

3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thank you. Any further hints as to where this is located on the 575. Have searched the forums and the parts diagrams for similar " cold air valve" or idle control with nothing obvious.
    Appreciate the input,
    Bill
    FL

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    #4 360modena2003, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Alpine 575

Alpine 575 Rookie

Nov 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a similar issue, but it is not consistent.

Most of the time, the engine will idle roughly for 1 - 2 seconds, then speed-up and idle correctly. Other times I have to wait for 5-10 seconds before the engine idles correctly. Tapping the throttle helps immediately. I too have disconnected the battery and gone through the re-start procedure with no apparent improvement.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Bill, I was baffled by your problem because I thought your 575 had idle air control valves like our 550's do, and they would normally control the fast idle warmup RPM, not the main TB's. However, I can't find any mention of them in the parts diagram or the WSM for the 575.

So it appears your idle speed is controlled directly by the main throttle bodies, so IMO, it sounds like one or the other may be sticking just a tad, and tapping the throttle is "unsticking" it. I'd be tempted, therefore, to give the throttle body butterfly shafts a shot or two of carb cleaner where they come out of the casting, and see if that might help.

It might also be worthwhile to pull the MAF's out and give them a cleaning with some dedicated MAF cleaner (I think CRC sells it?).

Perhaps Brian or the other pros would have another idea.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- Mine has done the same thing intermittently and is on one of its bad streaks now. I think it is injector leak-down, but am not sure. A double start always works. techron fixed it once on mine, but not this time. Will keep fiddling with it. 360 has the same problem.

8. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    John and Taz, Thank You!
    John was thinking the first thing I might try would be to clean the MAF. I'll try throttle bodies too and report back.
    Taz your post jogged my memory. The first tank I ever used Techron at all was this tank where the problem has begun. I used a third less than the recommended amount. Have never used any additives prior and can't quite remember why I chose to this time other than my usual not leaving well enough alone.

A question for each of you. John do you have a preferred carb cleaner? Have used Gumout on the old cars, seems like there might be better for modern cars.
    Taz, on the "double start", can you explain your process? my current procedure is by the book using about 8-10 seconds in each of the two key positions.

David thanks for your comments, hopefully we can find a solution.
    Thanks Always for the Time.
    Bill
    FL

9. Alpine 575

Alpine 575 Rookie

Nov 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    David
    Bill,

From personal and professional experience, Techron is the best valve / fuel injector cleaner. I use it in all my cars because of the cold climate in Calgary (lots of idling to warm up engines)

10. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    David have no doubt about the product and have even recommended it to others for different applications. It's probably just coincidental that in this case the problem arose after an initial dose.
    Bill
    FL

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Bill I still use the old school Gumout, because I'm old school too :)

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- I start her and if she does not immediately run up to 1400 rpm on a cold start, and stumbles around 400 rpm, I shut her down, wait for the Check OK, and restart. Works every time, but double load on the battery and starter.

The throttle body trick is certainly worth trying. If it was the MAF meter, it would not work perfectly on the second start.

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Bill
    I hope you are making progress on your issue.

I am not an engineer but do have a question for those that are. I am surprised the car does not have an IAC valve. I am also surprised if Ferrari is trying to control idle speed with the throttle plate. I'd have thought it was too much of a blunt instrument. So, for the engineers and pros out there, how is the idle speed controlled on a 575?

Philip

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- Idle speed is not the issue, that is steady as a rock at ~800 rpm when warm. Cold start to high idle is the problem. Once she hits 1400 rpm, a steady letdown to 800 rpm works perfectly. Getting her to 1400 rpm is the problem.

15. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I have the same problem with my 456. When cold it will not idle at high speed unless I blip the throttle. Then it goes to normal, high idle speed. I thought it might be the injectors leaking down, so I sent all of those off to be cleaned and calibrated while the car was in for its belt change. The cleaned injectors made no difference. I thought perhaps it was the IAC valves, so I took them off to clean, but they were perfectly clean. I electrically tested them on the bench, and they worked fine.

I think I have traced it down to the throttle position sensor. If I remove the connector from the TP sensor while it is in its slow, "fast" idle, and reconnect it, the fast idle is restored. It's not a matter of fretting on the connector, replacing it once should cure that. Plus, I cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and used stabilant on them to no avail. What does solve it is disconnecting and reconnecting the TP sensor while the engine is running.

This brings up the question, can the TP sensor itself be replaced or is it an integral part of the throttle body, meaning the entire throttle body must be replaced ($$$)? Any advice?

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- The 575M Motronic 7.1.1 and 456M Motronic 5.2 differ so vastly in cold start and idle mechanization I am not sure there are many lessons to be learned from one to the other. 550 owners have had their injectors flowed, cleaned, and resealed when they had no cold start problems at all. They then found out they had injectors leaking and flowing poorly, but no obvious symptoms.

Motronic 7.1.1 (575, F430, early 612, early 599) cold start seems to be more sensitive to injector operation than Motronic 5.2 (late F355, late 456, 456M, 550).

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    #17 360modena2003, Apr 15, 2015
    YES, the TPS can be replaced separately, and they are very cheap - I Alfa/etc. carry the same one.

Part #: Bosch: 0 280 122 001 ALFA ROMEO: 60549359, ALFA ROMEO: 7637025 ALFA ROMEO: 9946862, CITROËN: 1628 L1 CITROËN: 72 408 124

Can find them on eBay Germany for around 30/40 Euros.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Thanks! I found the part on ebay (new) for $16 including shipping! I'll find out next week if this cures my start issue.

19. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Good luck and remember to post results so it will help the next one with your same problem.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Terry,

Apples and oranges obviously, but sometimes I experience the very same symptoms you described with my 3.2 Mondial. Instead of turning the key off and reigniting the engine, I give it a bit of throttle and problem solved. Revs go up and stay up, then come down steadily to normal warm idle. Don't know if this practice is advisable on 575s, nor if it solves the problem, but has anyone tried it? How did the engine respond?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    According to the online retailers - Ricambi for example, the correct P/N for the 456 TPS is 0 280 122 004 - that's the part number on mine. I don't know the difference between the -004 and -001, but there sure is a price difference.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nuno- Like the double start, that is just a Band-Aid, and I always want mine to work like she is supposed to. No throttle added on my starts. I used the double start until the Techron overdose kicked in. Injectors rectified cured it completely in my case.

23. jaymax7

jaymax7 Rookie

Mar 6, 2016
    I am experiencing the same issue of very rough idle, sometimes snuffing out on cold starts. I am dropping the 575M in for service to look into the problem today. They have already suggested that it may be any one of the reasons suggested in this thread. It was good to be able to confirm they are on the right track through this forum. I will let you all know the outcome.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #24 tazandjan, Mar 6, 2016
    Jay- Cleaning the injectors is good maintenance practice for a 575M, at any rate. The rubber seals tend to deteriorate from contact with alcohol and the injectors start leaking. Here are the before and after results from mine. The injectors were resealed with Viton seals that alcohol does not bother.

25. jaymax7

jaymax7 Rookie

Mar 6, 2016
    Sorry for delay in update. I decided to try cleaning the injectors and was driving around the city to use up the tank of fuel and things took a turn for the worse . The engine block light came on along with beeping, a few times and as I tried to make it to my dealer who luckily was in that area, the engine would cut out all together when I took my foot off the accelerator. I only just managed to get to the dealership. They put their diagnostic equipment on and found that the the clutch plate sensor was faulty and not indicating when the clutch was disengaged. I waited 4 weeks for them to get a replacement part from Italy(I am in Australia). Yep you guessed it, wrong one.

Not real happy, have to wait another two weeks (at least) for another part to arrive and still do not know if this will fix the original problem? Miss my car.