575 died on me, what happened | FerrariChat

575 died on me, what happened

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F355 Fan 82, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
  2. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sorry to hear it. My car died on me a few days ago, but different symptom, no electric power. Never fun when something like this happens. Looks like you are at least on a relatively quiet street. Would suck to have died in the middle of serious traffic!

JSP likes this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    O I’m on Collins and 4th it’s kinda busy actually lots of honking at me and not happy fans lol do you recognize the light on the right I posted not the check engine light?

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #4 greyboxer, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Transmission related - hang on whilst I look it up - not very helpful but 2.13 says 'F1' Gearbox Failure if not flashing and if accompanied by an audible signal

This may sound weird and may not help but sometimes the reverse lever can lose internal pins and cause a light (which is why Hill do a replacement) - try wiggling it

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Isn’t that gearbox or F1 oil light? I have a 550 so not familiar enough with the 575’s F1 system. I’m sure others will chime in soon.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks for the update waiting in the car that won’t turn on no ac for 45 min now in Miami summer is awful

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Make sure you send it to the best possible tech. F1 issues can be expensive.
    Last summer my ‘02 played out the exact same scenario, plus add in a little rain. In that case it was a clutch position sensor. Hopefully your story will end better. Only time the Fcar left me on side of the road. Feel your pain...
    Bill
    FL

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks I have a great tech he was shop foreman at the Ferrari dealer and has his own place now still waiting for the tow it’s so hot here

9. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That sucks... So sorry

10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    What’s funny is I was on a busy street you can see from the sign Collins ave, not 1 person stopped to ask if I needed help in 2.5 hours hundreds took photos but I think people genuinely hate Ferrari owners it was just funny

11. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Broken down Ferrari pictures are great... at least when you are looking back. Last summer on a small road trip, I took the ferry to Manitoulin Island a few hours north of Toronto. When I started my car to drive off the ferry, my slow down light came on. So I pulled over and shut off the battery switch for 30 mins hoping something might reset. It was not a happy time sitting there fingers crossed hoping I wasn't going to have figure out how to get the car back to Toronto (1.5 hr ferry ride + 3 hr drive), let alone cancel the rest of the trip and disappoint my wife our friends who were following us on their bike. I took this photo of the "stranded" 550 while we were waiting. Now it's one of my favourite photos of my car. All was OK in the end, the light did finally go off, but how and why it happened is another story for another day. Soon your car will be fixed and back on the road, and you'll have just photo of your car dead, but looking fantastic on Collins Ave.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Look at the pic I posted above, my wife took it while I was in the drivers seat looks like the guy in the pic has a Ferrari hat on, he probably thinks no thanks now lol

13. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  14. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That’s funny about the hat!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Bill so you’re had similar symptoms to mine? Same lights?

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
  17. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes, same lights. Hot summer day tried to sneak in a short drive before afternoon storms. Three miles from home pulled up to stop sign, car dies. Got it started. Pulled off in first, then second and dies again coasting in neutral. Coast into a side street. Car would not light up again. During wait for truck the rains come.
    Then with car indicated in neutral it wenches up onto flatbed (toe hook) no problem. We go to unload into my garage and the car with no power had slipped itself into gear. With it still indicated in neutral it would not roll in either direction, obviously not coming off the bed. Back in the car and tried to get it into neutral. No luck. By now flat bed driver is thrilled he pulled this job. It’s still raining. Fortunately I had some wheel dollies. We jack the car up on the bed and install dollies beneath rear wheels. Driver tilts bed and we guide it off.
    My independent tech made a house call the next day ( Saturday). With his computer hooked up you could hear the car shift to neutral even though it already indicated it was there.
    I think the flatbed driver will do a drive by at his next Ferrari call.
    Better days ahead...
    Bill
    FL

18. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This was from mid-August last summer, after car shut down from a "slow down" light driving home from a cars n coffee. Left cat overheated. Root cause was (of all things) a bad alternator. Misery loves company!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    My tech got the car late in the day like 6 pm so he didn't have time to work on it, he's going to tomorrow. He told me initially the battery has no charge, and I told him it had a new battery i had installed when I bought it in november and that I used my car 3-4x a week and he said he was going to leave it on a charger over night and check in the morning but he said the car when charged went into gear normally,etc. He's a great tech so I know he will find what happened, but I don't get it, if the battery lost charge, why would the check engine and transmission light come on? Why would they come on after I was driving for 20 min today, wouldn't the car have charge by then? I wasn't really thinking all these things when he called me at 7 or so but ill ask him tomororw. If its just a battery issue I would be ecstatic but I have a feeling thats not the issue.

20. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There are many things that could cause your results. I mentioned similar symptoms. Low battery/charging systems have certainly caused their share of strange things to happen. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Bill
    FL

21. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #21 DZ-96, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

OMG

How did this "tow expert" lash the car ?
    The tension belts through the rims.
    Unbelievable how some professionals work.

There is so much good load securing stuff on the market to prevent the rims from damage.

Daniel

22. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  23. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep. I was happy to just have a rollback show up that could load it without scraping anything. Fortunately everything turned out fine, no wheel damage/scratching but certainly would've preferred over the tires and not thru the wheels.

24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006

Attached Files:

25. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I just got a call from my tech, the stored error codes were there and it looks like a clutch position sensor failure so need to drop the gearbox, torque tube to get to it $2600 to resolve it, whew was worried it was going to be something with the transmission or engine bc those were the lights on. He said its actually something that should have been done when the clutch was changed last time with the previous owner but the previous owner cheaped out and did just a clutch disc.

Should be about a week to resolve mostly few days till he gets the part.

Glad I didn't need to sell a kidney lol feels good having a great tech to help out with such issues, i feel really lucky to be able to talk to him and not just a service advisor