575 exhaust | Page 5 | FerrariChat

575 exhaust

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by boxndoc1, Jan 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I don't think Tubi mufflers are being overlooked by Ferrari owners, Moe. They're very popular. In fact, F355 owners feel that Tubis provide their cars with one of the nicest exhaust sounds ever to come out of a car.

Barry

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Moe- No, not Tubi from the factory. Tubis are only aftermarket for the Maranellos and Superamerica, at least. I have Superamerica HGTC mufflers on mine, and they are not Tubi and neither are the 575M original two sets nor the HGTC set.

I seriously doubt Ferrari would pay Tubi prices for mufflers or exhaust pipes.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I'm not saying Tubi's are overlooked- I'm saying the 'more sound' versions of their exhausts are overlooked.

There's a lot of continual discussion on the merits of their exhausts vs. others all over FChat, but no mention or specifics with regard to the 'more sound' version which a very viable candidate, and my point is, not to be overlooked.

Additionally- Although this is not a 599/612 thread, can anyone be sure who makes the HGT exhaust on the 612 for Ferrari???

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Moe- The only way to make sure would be to look at the cans. That is how we knew none of the Maranello/Superamerica exhausts were made by Tubi.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #105 308 GTB, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Moe,

I see what you mean. Thanks for posting the catalog. There's a difference in the internal baffling between the two versions, probably like the "first and second generation" mufflers for the 550. The changeover came around the time the 575M went into production.

I think most 550 and 575M owners already have their Tubis. I'd be curious to hear the difference between today's versions.

Barry

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- No, he is talking about the different loudness levels available on Tubis, regardless of whether they were valved. At one point there were three different sound levels available for the Maranello, with different baffle configurations.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I was editing while you were replying, Terry. Yes, I saw that when I looked at the catalog pages Moe posted.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Fastest post in the West.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I've always liked the vaned ("intercooled," as Borla refers to them) tips.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #111 308 GTB, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bas likes this.
  12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Thank you Daniel at Ricambi for getting those Challenge pipes for me.

Barry

13. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I bought my 612 second hand & it had a 'Maranello X host' brand set of mufflers on it that I didn't care for, so I can't check the cans

The 456 never had valves obviously & my 612 is set without valves as they don't make them valved.

The standard Tubi is nice enough to let you know what your driving, but too quiet for me- To a certain extent, the sound is half of the experience for me and for all of us, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

;)

14. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Let me clarify- my 612 Tubi isn't valved as Tubi doesnt make the 612 set valved.

15. ddd910

ddd910 Rookie

Apr 4, 2002
    I see a lot of love for Capristo on this forum so I have made up my mind on ordering a set to try out. Im quite upset with my current setup which is a custom muffler made by a local shop. I hope my money is well spent and the Capristo will put an end to my quest searching for the "right" exhaust for my 575. For the past few nights before falling asleep, I can't stop thinking about the beautiful sound that a 550 with center straight pipe and no muffler makes. Knowing I will never achieve that kind of sound with a 575 so buying a 550 some day is inevitable I guess... My wish list just gets longer each day.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For a higher pitched sound than the Capristos, the Kreissieg is another high end exhaust. You can have a really loud, beautiful sound on your 575M. That would be Novitec Super Sports with no valves. Had them on my car and it became obvious the pre-cats and cats do not quiet the car down at all. Too loud for me and the neighbors, even though the local police gave her a pass.

17. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I purchased my 575M # 135175 two later then Taz's with theTubi exhaust muffler only installed by a previous owner. Everyone outside the car thinks it is the best sounding 575 they have ever heard..... But while I am driving it is too darn loud after a few minutes of cruising type driving and on longer drives I find myself changing gears or various speeds to achieve a quieter sound inside the car.
    . I love noise of cams and gears etc.etc. of older Ferrari V-12s which is missing in the 575 but if I had the choice now, I would keep the stock exhaust system. (Maybe with straight pipes before the mufflers).
    The best time for me to enjoy the Tubi from the cockpit is when I downshift to slow down, it is incredible when the computer matches revs for me,even on multiple downshifts.
    If anyone in So.Cal. Wants to hear her PM me.

18. Healeyguy

Healeyguy Rookie

May 13, 2011
    I have Tubi exhaust on my 550. The muffler is stamped "550" and the serial number of the muffler is 000014832. The stock centre resonator is still on the car. It has a nice deep idle but is a bit quiet going through the gears. Any idea what version this muffler is?

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #119 tazandjan, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    HG- Affirmative, it is an early Tubi for the 550. Later ones for the 575M and 550 had 575 embossed on the cans. They sound good with the stock center muffler/resonator but get quite loud if you change to straight center pipes. Maybe a little quieter with an X-pipe, but not much. If you think it is too quiet, changing to straight/X-pipes will definitely make her louder, and may give you resonation around 2500-3000 rpm. Straight pipes available from Bradan and X-pipes from several sources. Straight pipes give more hp and torque, but not enough more than X-pipes that you would notice the difference.

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You summed it up succinctly, Terry. I've seen 100 post threads on the subject that say the same thing.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- We have repeated it so often, we probably should have a canned word document we could just cut and paste.

22. Healeyguy

Healeyguy Rookie

May 13, 2011
    Thanks Taz. I've done a ton of reading on the forums on the topic. Just didn't know which version mine were.

23. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Hate to bring up this old thread but I am curious. I purchased my 575 with the exhaust already modified. It appears that the center resonator has been replaced with straight pipes and tubi mufflers that say "575" are installed out back. The car sounds great during idle and during acceleration. Problem is when I decelerate it lets off a little pop / backfire sound. That part is what I don't like. If I were to remove the straight pipes and install an x pipe in its place would this remove the popping sound that I dislike? Has any one had this experience?

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I don't think switching to X-pipes will stop the popping. Putting the original center resonator back on might eliminate it. Putting the center resonator and the original valved mufflers back on will definitely eliminate the popping.

25. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    In Monaco tunnel ....nice sound .During cruising nice sound level and when when you decelerate no poping sound After 4500 rpm good ´music.No ear pain .Really good combination...and little more power with KN filters (without too much oil on them...Because theMAF ) Enjoy