575 - fitting new front cover bearings | FerrariChat

575 - fitting new front cover bearings

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by PAUL500, Apr 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Putting my engine back together and now at the stage of fitting new Hill engineering bearings into the front cover.

Its been a while since I stripped out the old ones, so my memory of how they came out is vague.

According to the parts and workshop manual, the sequence is (working from engine side of the cover outwards) :-

Inner seager ring
    cupped washer
    Bearing
    o ring seal
    Outer seager ring

Now the thing is the bearing case has a groove half way up the centre of the bearing in which the o ring would fit, but I cannot see the ring staying in place as the bearing is pressed down into it, however if the o ring sits on top of the bearing instead it wants to sit in the groove for the outer seager ring which then results in the seager ring not sitting in the outer groove correctly as the o ring will not compress enough.

So my question to those that has carried out this procedure is :-

a- as per the workshop manual the o ring sits on top of the bearing and shares the groove with the outer seager ring or

b- the manual is not correct and the o ring sits half way down the bearing in the central groove in the case?

Appreciate a quick response as I have now come to a halt until I can clarify which is the correct way.

Thanks in advance for all input from those that have done the job :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    When I did mine, the old o-rings were in the grooves located mid bearing. I could not get the new o-rings to stay put when pressing in the new bearings. The new o-rings were either slightly smaller in diameter or had a slightly larger cross section compared to the old ones and just wouldn’t stay in the grooves. I ended up reusing the old o-rings and they stayed in the grooves, but I don’t think they do much. Two years and about 15000 miles later and no leaks from the bearings, but I didn’t think they would since they are pressed in.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Fantastic, thanks, that's exactly what I thought, which goes against the manuals. My new o rings are the same, slightly smaller and that's what I guessed may happen if I used them mid point. Luckily I still have the old ones so will do the same as you.

I could see a dirt ring half way down the old bearing which would not be there if the o ring was missing so thanks very much for the confirmation.

As you say I think the o ring is just a belt and braces method of sealing the bearing outer race.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    All now buttoned up nicely. The new o rings would not sit in the mid point groove for me either, they are slightly smaller than the originals it seems. Stretching them slightly may have worked, but I elected to re use the originals and they stayed in place.

So the parts and workshop manual do not show the correct install sequence it seems.

Thanks again Ryan for your confirmation :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login