575 on the move | Page 10 | FerrariChat

575 on the move

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Clyde Romero, Oct 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I just think the 575 is about to pop like the rest!
    They drive great and comfortable with little repair.
    GTJOEY1314

F456M likes this.
  2. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    here are my 575 clutch wear readings
    at 42K the machine read 14% clutch wear
    a new clutch was installed @26K by an authorized dealer before I bought the car that I would not recommend whatsoever!
    I bought my car used in 2019 from an independent dealer with partial service records (I was satisfied what I saw I do a lot of my own work)
    currently my clutch reading is 24% at 56K miles
    I NEVER USE THE AUTO FUNCTION and always come to neutral at a stop light.
    so, it appears that roughly every 15k miles you lose 10% of clutch the way I drive
    just putting that out there
    after driving a F-1 car I would never go back to a stick Ferrari, and I owned a 512 TR for 23 years and put over 110k on it before I sold it last year, did not replace the clutch ever had to replace the flywheel!
    the shifts are smoother and especially on downshifts you could never duplicate it, ever.
    and when you see sticks being advertised, the first thing you see is clutch replaced at ......
    I never replaced a clutch on any Ferrari I've owned, and I drive my cars.
    it's sad but the majority of Ferrari owners or most drivers don't know how to drive properly with a stick.

F456M and DBomb117 like this.
  3. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I replaced the clutch on my 575 at about 100k miles, wasn't slipping but thought it was about time. :>)

Ferrari55whoa and Clyde Romero like this.
  4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth

Clyde Romero likes this.
  5. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    well you like myself learned how to use a clutch
    all the best
    what did you do in the Navy?

6. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Image Unavailable, Please Login well I have my first fault which I have not been able to clear
    the suspension
    anyway will take the car to the dealer and see what it is
    car runs fine

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #232 intrepidcva11, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    I was legal officer of U S S Intrepid (CVA11); although I was a Navy lawyer I was not a JAG, but a general line officer (1105). When I reported aboard in October 1956 and was interviewed by my C.O., Capt. Forsyth Massey, at the end of a quite informal (addressing me by my first name) and comfortable meeting he asked me if I had any questions. I replied: yes, Captain, I'd like to know if I'll have a chance to qualify as an officer-of-the-deck-underway? Complete change of demeanor: Ensign Rosner, what is it with you? you're ging to be plenty busy with discipline, preparing Captain's masts for the X.O. and me and legal assistance when crew members get in difficulties ashore.

'Captain, with great respect, I joined the Navy because I love the sea. We lawyers are supposd to do poorly at O.C.S., we're typically verbal and not skilled at math and science: engineering, celestial navigation, gunnery, ship operations, maneuvering boards etc. but for some crazy reason I graduated OCS fifth in my class of over 500 so basically I got my choice of duty stations. All my shipmates in Co Lima 5 said Seth, you're going to get cushy shore duty in San Francisco or New Orleans or New York and I said negative; I want a major combatant ship. Captain, when I got my orders to Intrepid I was over the moon.'

'Seth, to the best of my knowledge no lawyer legal officer of a major combatant ship in the history of the Navy has ever stood an underway watch on the bridge, let alone qualified as OOD. Right now, here in the Navy Yard with skeleton crew I have just five qualified underway OOD's: myself, Commander Stultz, my XO, the navigator, the gun boss (gunnery officer) and the first lieutenant. Young man, if you want to qualify underway and if you can qualify underway let me assure you, you will be one of my OOD's. A month later he cut orders to send me to OOD School in Newport, we worked on the BZ trainer, I graduated, returned to Intrepid and when we got underway for Guantanamo for our shakedown cruise in spring 1957 I was learning by standing regular junior Officer-of-the-deck watches on the bridge.

I got my qualifying letter months later and in September 1957 we shipped out for Operation Strikeback, a NATO combined fleets war games exercise off the Norwegian coast north of the Arctic Circle. You can read a description by Harrison Salisbury in the N Y Times October 1957. We operated with U S S Saratoga, USS Forrestal, USS Wisconsin, USS Iowa, HMS Ark Royal and French and Dutch carriers and battleships whose names I do not recall.

As we were getting underway from Norfolk, the Navigator, a commander who was responsible for training and assignment of OOD's, came to the legal office to tell me that at General Quarters his assignment was as OOD on the bridge and that he wanted to ask Capt Massey to assign me at G.Q. as his junior officer of the deck but wouldn't do it unless I agreed. I felt like I was finally in the Navy and, of course, agreed.

With the many remarkable things I've done in my 67 years practicing law, apart from the splendid love affair that is my present marriage, nothing else has matched the thrill of those years.

NYC Fred, VColin, NE550 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    wow
    what a story
    good for you sticking to your guns and getting what you wanted from the NAVY
    so many people join the military and never get the assignment they want
    me I was lucky I was a pilot Vietnam, Desert Storm
    I visit that carrier every time I go home to NYC, I am from the Bronx.
    by the way your memory is incredible, how you remembered all of that, especially during the Cold War!
    Take care my friend
    All the best
    and you know what this means

when this bell rings man your station!

9. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Well my 575 fixed itself, I took it on a trip and when I stopped for fuel the suspension fault went away and has yet to return.
    I did 600 miles in 2 days with the car.
    Go figure
    These cars are like my old F-4
    A write up by the pilot
    And the crew CND
    Could not duplicate!
    Oh well I am back to code one
    I am putting on my headers next month to get the heat out of the engine compartment
    If you have never taken an IR gun to your engine compartment after a run do so
    I always raise my hood after I drive the car
    With the headers the temps will go way down
    The cats will be moved underneath the car
    This is the source of the heat on the 550/575

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This gave me goosebumps. Thanks for sharing.

11. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I also have a 1 mile 25 zone from the highway to my house to help cool down and also leave it in the driveway with the hood up for awhile just to air out and be safe. Good practice/policy for sure.

F456M likes this.
  12. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I just went over 62k miles and I installed a super sprint exhaust system on the car
    it makes a huge difference in performance
    it gets the heat out of the engine compartment
    which in min opinion is a huge issue with the 575
    the headers are great, and the performance is amazing
    I dyno the car stock I was getting 475 rear wheel horsepower
    now I am getting around 550 at the rear wheel
    it's a clean installation
    no regrets
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sexy! Can’t tell, will those be cerakote (sp?) or other to also help with heat and aging?

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Clyde so glad your enjoying the fruits of our extensive labor ! Kent and I worked so hard on this project!!

Believe me the ECU calibration and software development on this (not just calibration but true code upgrades) have totally modernized the 575M platform.

It's been a LOT of work but the changes are so different I'm proud to have worked on this... Near as dammit 600rwhp is pretty impressive out of a 575M!

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

15. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Trevor
    yes it is like night and day with those ECU's on the 575. The car performs like nothing I have seen, hats off to you!

F456M and 360trev like this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just like you ... Kent worked me hard too ... After something like 18 detailed revisions and countless Dyno sessions we extracted every last ounce of safe useable power out of the old girl..

From a p_ussy_cat to an angry tiger. Loving that with the firmware upgrades we where able to achieve real manetino style driving modes between normal and sport as well as entirely eliminate the bog down between gears for a seamless flat shift experience like no 575 that's gone before!

I'm confident you've got one of the fastest 575M out there in the wild! Enjoy in rude health sir, after all your glorious service for your country you most certainly deserve it ! It's been an absolute honor to do this for you!

F456M likes this.
  17. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Trev both you and Kent did an outstanding job with this project.
    no CEL and plenty of usable power plus increased gas mileage
    it's what this car should have been all along
    Can't thank you enough for all the work you put into this
    the ECU truly redefined the 575 across the board

F456M, 360trev and Steen Jensen like this.
  18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looking forward to getting my similar set-up. The HGTC TCU helps quite a bit, too. Unfortunately, not compatible with non-HGTC Motronic ECUs unless Trev massages them.

360trev likes this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've loved working on this one!

Kent is an absolute gentleman and his vast experience and knowledge oozes from every pore. It's been wonderful collaborating to create something extra special that's never been done before. We spent more time calibrating and fine tuning the 575M than the factory ever did and having a professional test driver critique it has been just awesome. Think of this work as a 575 GTO if you will and you won't be far off. It's almost perfect.

I guess having a highly experienced ex-Ferrari employee (from the era when Enzo was running the show) and more recently doing F1 special projects this was always going to be a "showcase" of what's possible if you combine forces and do a cost no object exercise "just because"...

I'm so happy with the results I'm actually strongly considering snapping up a 575M myself ! To say I'm happy with the verifiable and quantifiable improvements in drivability and performance results is an understatement!

This is as good as a 575M gets! It wouldn't have been possible without Kent's tireless commitment to the project (and that's during his cancer treatment too, what a trooper!!)

F456M likes this.
  20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It would be pretty pointless to just upgrade the HGTC shifting even if it was possible because the fine work we've done even fixed the "bog down" you get when you flat shift the F1.. it's just epic and Everyone who drives is just smitten by how the 575M feels. It's really that good.

Kent did 2 years of work on this and spent the price of a 575M along the way to get it to this point. The fact this now exists, if you don't get it and you eventually get to drive one of these "converted" cars you'll be kicking yourself!

I used to think the upgrade from Modena to the CS was a big upgrade.. this is much much bigger!

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

F456M likes this.
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trev- Yup, no doubt. No way to just upgrade to HGTC shifting, at any rate. The HGTC TCU and vanilla Motronic ECUs are incompatible.

22. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    ok I have to post a correction to the header picture and mention Trevors outstanding work on the ECU's
    this is the correct header with the secondary air injection ports which are on our 575's
    Also, worth mentioning that with Trevor's ECU software, provided the 575 is in proper working order it will pass all 50 state and Canada emission test so long as the Secondary Air Injection and a pair 100cpsi catalytic converters are present, also all I/M Readiness checks will say Ready within the first 5 seconds of powering up the ignition.
    with regards to ceramic coating, it's not worth the cost vs performance gain.

Attached Files:

F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  23. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    The BOG down when shifting is totally gone Trevor, it shifts at lightning speed now, as fast as you can paddle it shifts!
    The throttle acceleration is seamless almost to the point of electric!
    It reminds me much of flying my F-4, from 350 knots to Mach, very linear !

24. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Can the ECU upgrade be done on any 575 or do you have to do the header/exhaust modifications for it to work? May goal is to make the shifts better.

25. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    you will have to ask Trevor about this