575 to 599 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

575 to 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by msgm1, Aug 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #26 Ferrarista3, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    I could write a 3000 word post telling you how much I love the 599 and what wonderful machine it is...but at the end of the day they're just words based on my personal experiences and personal views.

FWIW, I have only driven a 575 without the FHP or GTC packs (which make a big difference I have been told) and, truth be told, found the car rather uninspiring during my short drive. More than anything, the car felt too soft (I am told that the 550 or a 575 w/ FHP don't suffer from this issue) and the stock exhaust note was surprisingly muted.

The 599, on the other hand, required only a few short minutes behind the wheel for me to fall in love with the car. She has done 32K+ miles in the last 2 yrs and I'm more in love with her now than ever. The driving experience only seems to get better with time.

There are, however, many aspects that are ultimately very subjective when it comes to such observations and decisions.

There is no substitute to driving the cars for yourself. Don't be shy and arrange to drive both :)

Good luck!

2. kris308

kris308 Rookie

May 31, 2007
    Do you guys really buy these cars based on lap times? If you like it, buy it. They are all great cars. If you want them to go faster, that is always doable. I don't get the lap time comparison, unless you are the rare owner who tracks a lot more then road use.

3. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, it's the whole, my dick is bigger than your dick bull****.

I have found this thread interesting, which is why I read it. I was curious as to what the 575 guys thought of the 599 when they bought the (essentially) new model.

4. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    No skin in the game here but wouldn't the CC brake replacement costs of the 599 be disproportionately higher than the 575?

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #30 Condor Man, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    Firstly, I do NOT want to take anything away from Johnny's Post as the Gentleman clearly has a lot of experience with both vehicles and race experience as well. Which to me is very important.

It's just that sometimes when we own a particular car we can become bias towards our own model....

Having driven both vehicles it is my opinion that if you had the same driver in both vehicles the 599 would be much faster than a 575 with FHP or HGTC.

And yes I understand that Johnny recently dusted a 599 on the Autobahn, however this may have been driven by a driver with far less experience than Johnny. Indicating that this comparison is unjustified.

As a matter of fact, recently I took a bunch of guys on a run up through the mountains and a guy in a 599 HGTC was glued to my rear end in my GT3RS MKII which surprised the hell out of me. And I can tell you stratight up, that my 550 would have been 10kms behind.....

Me too, I am not really sure why it bothers you as it seems that you didn't read his posts fully. My reference to his comments above are the reasons why I provided a 3rd party source showing the differences of the 2 vehicles.

BTW - Thanks for the CAPS LOCK champ.

PS - If you want to discuss ignorance, perhaps you may wish to bring to light the fact that the advances in tyre technology since the 575 was released has been revolutionary and this hasn't even been brought into to our small debate.....

6. nfg2507

nfg2507 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, you advised Johnny to study 0-100MPH times and lap times - while he had already stated that the 599 has a better straight line acceleration and had already explained why the 599 is faster on especially those tracks. So your comment seemed somewhat superfluous to me.

But the tyres thing seems interesting.

Don't want to get into a stupid discussion/fight!

PS: Awesome 997GT3RS you got there!!

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles

Thanks and me too...

The 0 - 100MPH was merely a reference in showing the acceleration of a 599 as I assumed that on a tight authobahn the speeds would be around 100 - 160KPH.

When I was in the UK 6 weeks ago on the same day I drove my 550, then a stunning 575 with FHP in Manual that creamed my 550. (And I have to say, that I was I really, really impressed by the 575), then I drove a standard 599 GTB which was twice as good as the 550 and the same step up from a 550 to a 575.

The 599's handling, brakes and of course the power is sensational!

just my 2c....

8. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley
    Just sold my scuderia and bought a 599, nough said !

9. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I know this is a late reply, but just revisiting some old threads. It cracks me up when people talk about the "old" F1 in 575s. I drive my car all over town and use it as a daily when I can. I have NEVER experienced any problems with stop and go city traffic, be it on hills or otherwise. I am wondering if the complaining parties are driving correctly. As to the 575v599 debate, jeez, last 599 I drove curled my toes and made me want to pay her money and not tell my wife. and that was the standard model.

10. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    I am looking to move up to a 599 and it is great to hear that the car is great in stop & go traffic, as well as at speed. Best, David

11. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I have had mine for 2 months and have put about 600 miles on it! No issues and she is a joy to drive.

The big factor for me was the styling, and the fact that they are MUCH cheaper to maintain than a 575. No belt service worries at all.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    The 599 is one of the greatest road cars I've ever driven, there should be no hesitation in trading to this car.

13. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Said from someone with your experience with such cars that certainly means a lot.

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Apologies in advance if this comment feels like picking on you...but, I just don't understand why folks make the "no belt service MUCH cheaper" comment when comparing a 575 to a 599 or a 360 to a 430. The belt service is about $2000. Many folks say they can get it done for less. (belts and tensioners, not a "major" which for most folks includes the normal annual fluids/filters for another $1000 which you have to do for all of the above cars).

I mean, really, is $2000 over 3-5 years (3 years for a 360, 5 years for a 575), or $666 per year on a 360 or $400 per year on a 575 going to be more than a very, very small rounding error? Good grief, a 599 costs upwards of $200,000.

So, clearly the maint is not MUCH cheaper due to having to do belts every 5 years on a 575 (unless you consider $400 per year MUCH). BTW, this is not to even begin to mention that total cost of ownership is largely dictated by depreciation and fixing what breaks, not by the required maint per the book).

15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks to all for your comments. This is a decision that I too am debating.

To me, it looks like this:

$100,000
    Must get FHP or HTGC
    Fast.

$200,000
    newer, better looking (to me)
    Scary fast.

Thinking "out loud" here (or with my fingers I guess) the $100,000ish price delta is meaningful to me (heck I could get the 575 and a 360 spider for the price of a 599 thinking of this in "car dollar" terms). I could swing it, but the "opportunity cost" of that extra $100,000 invested in the v12 "role" in my garage might bug me...And, I can't imagine getting rid of the CS, and I'll always have a convertible and an SUV...so the v12 won't get driven more than a couple of thousand miles per year best case...I guess depreciation curve placement (599 being newer and just prior to a replacement car coming out) means there is likely a $20k per year hit to own it (that's my guess of 10% per year from here until down to $100k ish). That means north of $10/mile to have the car. The 575 would likely depreciate perhaps $10k per year, so more like $5/mile. Heck...I hate when dollar and sense (!) get in the picture, but this is a lot of money for a car!

I think, for me, I'll get a 575 (unless I just fall in love with a well-priced 599) and drive for a couple of years and then upgrade to a 599 when they are down in the $150k range. That's the "strategy" I took with my CS, which I expect to keep for a few years and then get a 430 Scuderia. That way I get to own each of these great cars for a period of time...while also suffering less depreciation (obviously traded off against the risk of breakage).

thanks again for all the posts that help me sort this out.

16. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    My wife says the 575 looks like an old person car...

Kai

17. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Does she wear glasses?

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Is she trying to tell you she likes older men?

19. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Lol, she just thinks that the 599 is more modern looking and that the 575 looks more appropriate on a gentleman advanced in years...

She doesn't think that either looks like a "real" Ferrari, whatever that means.

We made a deal and shook hands that I'll just have to get the 599 and the 458 when/if I reach a certain Dollar threshold.

Otherwise it's one or the other.

Kai

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Life can be so unfair!

21. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007