575 Won't Crank! HELP | FerrariChat

575 Won't Crank! HELP

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Detroitsteel, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I drove my 2002 575 all day today with multiple stops (one by the police). The weather here in Michigan is non humid and in the mid 70s. I pulled the car in the driveway and shut it off. While the car was off I removed the driver rear tire (check on a squeak) and replaced some cd's in the trunk carousel about an hour later went to start the car, hit the key fob button heard the 2 beeps turned the key waited for the "Check OK" light, turned the key and nothing absolute silence. Since then I have checked; the battery in the fob, tried the extra fob, checked the inertia switch, appropriate fuses and relays, battery was at 12.7 volts now several hours later and messing with the car its 12.5 volts and holding. Also I put the emergency brake down and to tried to roll the car into the garage and it feels like it is stuck in gear. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Does your F1 pump run when you open the door? Can you get the car in neutral by pulling both paddles back with the key on? If not, then the F1 system may be malfunctioning. When you try to start the car, the F1 system first opens the clutch and then puts the gearbox into neutral before allowing the car to crank. If the F1 ECU doesn't see the clutch sensor with the clutch in the open position, it will not allow the starter to crank the car.

Do you have your foot on the brake pedal while you are cranking the car?

3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Adam this has happened to me a couple of times after jacking up the car.
    Sit inside the car while having a friend gently rock the car forwards and backwards. Have the key in position two so that it’s powering the systems. Do not try to start the car. While the car is being rocked keep trying to put the car in neutral pulling both paddles back. Listen for the trans to shift the car out of gear and into neutral. You will hear this happen as long as you are not around a lot of background noise.
    Once in neutral again you will be good to go.
    Bill
    FL
    2002 575 F1

wbklink and JL350 like this.
  4. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    SOLVED! Thank you guys. It was because it was stuck in 1st gear also seems that it may be time for a new battery. 1st time this has happened in 4 years of ownership. Not sure if it was user error (possibly forgot to shift to N before I shut it off) or from jacking it up but either way key on, both paddles back and the car shifted to N and it was able to crank. Small tip: after all the messing around the battery was low 12.25 Volts and the car was throwing an immobilizer code as well as several others and still wouldn't start. I disconected the battery and charged it up and upon reset all is well. She running great, thanks again for the tips!

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You do not need to shift to neutral when you shut down. If you do, she will beep at you telling you not to do that. I always shut mine down in 1st gear and always select neutral before starting, just like it says in the OM.

6. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Taz I’ve always shut down in neutral with few exceptions with no issues and no beep that I recall. I figured the OM had that for safety reasons. The two times I’ve had issues, one had shut it down in 1st then jacked the car and the other involved jacking the car. Otherwise it sits in neutral in a level garage. I’m 9 years into the car.
    Bill
    FL

7. Detroitsteel

Detroitsteel Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan/Japan
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hi Taz, thanks for the tip! I too have had no issues or beeps shutting off in neutral, I did forget to pull the E-brake once which could have been catastrophic ;) but I caught it quick. That said it never hurts to change to procedure to how it is was designed from the OE side. Thanks again!

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- I have been driving mine now for 11 years and have never had a problem shutting her down in 1st, but I do not use a jack on her. I always select neutral before starting.

9. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I am with you Taz
    I crank in neutral and I shut mine down while in 1st gear
    Just like a 3 pedal car

10. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019