575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion | Page 8 | FerrariChat

575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dhalperin13, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When Matt at The Smoking Tire did his Aston conversion years ago I think it was about $40k plus transportation to and from….is that still close?

2. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Thankfully the pound is tanking so yes $40k is still close for just the conversion. Transport costs are what’s crazy. I actually flew the car there for only $3k more than a shipping container quote ($15k for overnight on a plane vs $12k for who knows how long on a boat). For that car it makes way more sense to buy an already converted car unless you have a strong attachment to your existing example (which I do).

dhalperin13 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #178 Ferrari55whoa, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    The irrational “car/motorcycle/plane/boat” stuff I’ve done “emotionally” is a long list….totally get it for sure. To me the $40k is reasonable it’s just the shipping that’s unfortunate.

4. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    @SteveVT I think the first report we will get about how my car drives will be from @Mellow_Maranello ! He was kind enough to check in on the car and progress a few weeks ago (When I thought it would be ready to be picked up). He reset my expectations:) I’m learning my lesson, though slowly, to not get too excited for delivery. The new goal post is the week of July 4…

71veedub, SteveVT and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  5. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Any update on your car? Are you at the one year + point?

6. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    We have an update! EAG delivered their first 575 conversion and from what I am told, the owner seems to be pleased with its performance. I’m expecting mine to be the next out the door. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t delivered this month!

Hope to get some photos I can share soon.

brogenville and Auraraptor like this.
  7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Brilliant! I take it this is with the new cable actuated shifter mechanism?

8. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    No sir, completing this with the solid linkage. Cable mechanism is still in R&D

brogenville and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  9. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    It’s been a while since I’ve read through the entire thread, so apologies if this was covered: what’s the advantage of a cable vs solid shift linkage? Which arrangement did the original 6 speed cars come with from the factory?

10. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    No worries! OEM on the V12 cars have the solid linkage. On some OEM cars, there tends to be some vibration that Art is trying to reduce or eliminate with the cable system.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  11. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Thank you for explaining, really looking forward to seeing the outcome of the EAG conversion.

12. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    Nicely done, but no OEM. I would be hesitant to convert a Ferrari using non-oem parts. Use OEM parts and no one can really debate the conversion as it would be indistinguishable from OEM as it is in effect oem. But use aftermarket mechanical parts on a Ferrari?

13. FerrariIcona

FerrariIcona Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Yingli Cheng
    550 / 575 / 599 OEM set up uses rods with rubber bushings. Never experienced any unusual vibrations. Again, straying from OEM mechanical parts IMO detracts from value and certainly originality of the Ferrari. Using OEM Ferrari parts would make the converted car indistinguishable from the original manual 575 / 599 and as such use of OEM parts should significantly bolster resale value of the cars converted with 100 percent factory parts. The rod assembly is key to giving the direct feel that the 550 is so famous for.

ewright and brogenville like this.
  14. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I had ordered the Ricambi 575m major service kit a couple of months ago and noticed they recently bumped the price as it stands ~15% higher today.

Dave over at EAG has been making a real effort to keep me updated as to what is going on. He sent me some pictures that I really enjoyed…hope you do as well. In addition to the major kit and belt service, EAG has suggested and is replacing engine mounts, trans mounts and spark plugs. The Easter Egg…look at those headers!!! Oh, and new rubber on those 20s :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ooooooh that’s sexy!

dhalperin13 likes this.
  16. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Some progress I wanted to provide an update on. Some interior panels and dashboard components were sent out to the upholstery shop for a refresh. Sticky buttons, and sticky bits also going in for a refresh to match that new to US (bad pun...it used to be metric) AC Panel!

I wish I had the car, but I am happy that when I do take delivery the smaller cosmetic items should be resolved.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ffre92 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  17. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Wow you are spending some coin here! Well done.

18. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I wish I was doing more driving less check writing

19. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Dan,

Might as well do the coolant hoses if not done already while still in check writing mode

dhalperin13 likes this.
  20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Dan is most definitely embarked
    on “big boy sheet”…..
    (I used the $ sign for the “s-word” but it edited me)… but look what his very reasonable buy in was and what a BEAST he will have at the end. #imJealous

dhalperin13 likes this.
  21. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thank you!!

22. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Could this be the forever car?

23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don’t know why not? The color set up is perfect as well. It’s a knock out.

Problem frankly is it will be so valuable you might be tempted to let it go?

24. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Re: color combo - @dhalperin13 I think we have the identical color spec, no? Can you share in interior shot?

25. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Those headers are so sexy looking!

dhalperin13 likes this.