599/430 Prices Crashing | Page 19 | FerrariChat

599/430 Prices Crashing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Napolis, Oct 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I presume the gain is mainly because the less massive disc has much lower rotational inertia / momentum -- it takes less energy to accelerate and decelerate the disc itself.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #452 PSk, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    Being saying this for ages. Just as silly as the paddle shift gear change thingie ... like it does NOT matter how quick your gear changes are for a road car.

Sort of sad that Ferrari makes cars to suit wanky marketing requirements instead of cars that are designed to be the best for the environment they are going to be used for ... the public ROAD.
    Pete

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Brian

Let me see if I can out of this mess - let me restate the GT car deal - I'll simply say the pit crews train to change the brake components. Secondly, the stock carbon brakes on a stock Ferarri will outbreak the steel brakes on an identical stock Ferrari and have better fade characteristics. I understand you are a gear head(meant in a good way - I have many gear head friends who have taught me a lot including the Andrettis) so you know your deal - I am just a drive them person and have someone else fix them

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I thought that's why they came up with the 308 GT4?

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #455 PSk, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
    An F1 car with steel brakes is not outbraked by an F1 car with carbon brakes ... so why would a humble road Ferrari be different?.

The only reason F1 cars use carbon brakes is they are lighter. Williams about 5 years ago ran a car with steel brakes ... no difference.
    Pete

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree.

Time will tell with the 308 GT4, a great, efficient and complete design ... with no bollocks.
    Pete

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I give up on my statement - all I can say is after 100s of laps in Ferraris on the track that my personal experience is that the standard carbon brakes out perfrom the standard steel Ferrari brakes

8. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Umm.............well.....................let's see here......................I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So if there were only one type of brakes offered then the 599/430 prices would not be crashing! YAY!!!!!!!
    Seriously, the topic here is not brakes. We got off topic days ago and it's drifting into the abyss.
    I find it hilarious when this happens but Im bored of the brake controversy.
    Im just gonna put another 21K miles on my 430 to see if I can actually drive the wheels off it!
    Later,
    Ape

9. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    yeah, i've noticed a drop in 430 (& 360) prices too :) i still need to work on my investing foo though

10. jwbest

jwbest Rookie

Oct 14, 2008
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Walt
    A 2006 F430 F1 7k miles just went for $152,700 on eBay. No reserve!

11. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    That may actually be true; but it is not because of the difference in materials.

12. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    +1

13. checklist_34

checklist_34 Karting

Nov 26, 2008
    That is exactly right and something people seem to often forget in discussions of brakes. Brake fade, pedal feel and effort and perhaps more things that I'm forgetting can depend on the brake system, but almost always stopping distance is a function of limited tire grip before limited brake power. Changing tires on a car can make a big difference in that cars stopping behavior.

14. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    brake bias is another very significant factor of the brake system which will affect stopping distance. i've read that a lot of the braking system is different on the F430 (and so I would suspect the 360/CS/etc), not just the pads/rotors, with iron vs. CCB. if the bias is different that would be a big deal.

15. checklist_34

checklist_34 Karting

Nov 26, 2008
    It sure could be. In a recent magazine article (Car and Driver I think), Porsche 911's with standard and ceramic brakes stopped within inches of each other and exhibited similar fade (no fade) also. They had the same tires. A Corvette also exhibited no fade, and a few cars that I would have thought would have done well didn't do well at all.

Overall it was a pretty good read.

16. Joe Rock

Joe Rock Rookie

Oct 22, 2008
    Like tobacco products, fast food.....change "NEED" to "have the disposable income for".

17. checklist_34

checklist_34 Karting

Nov 26, 2008
    Good post. I think tobacco products fall into the "need" category in the mind of those who are addicted to them. The brain classifies its addictions as necessary to survive I think.

I wonder if alcohol, which doesn't have a majority of customers addicted, will suffer or not during a recession?

18. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Not overpriced if people are bidding for it...

19. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You're not in marketing are you...

It's a used car. BIN is huge, reserve not met at 301k, "overpriced".

The days of getting +MSRP for "previously thrashed" current Ferraris are so last year.

Of course they could always adopt the DeBeers model, but for how long?

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
  21. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Ah, snap, I didn't notice the "Reserve not met"!

22. Joe Rock

Joe Rock Rookie

Oct 22, 2008
    As soon as I typed "tobacco" I wondered if that was incorrect, sadly, I would have to agree that in practical terms tobacco is a need item. Alcohol sales are subject to economic fluctuations, there is less consumed, less of certain brands (premuim vodkas, scotch, etc.). Info thanks to best friend who wholesales spirits :) ) in short, Taava vodka gets a minor boost, Grey Goose does not :0)

23. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
    http://www.winespiritsdaily.com/2008/11/remy-remains-cautious-for-fiscal-year.html