599 coolant leaks | FerrariChat

599 coolant leaks

Discussion in '612/599' started by hsc2001, Jan 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hsc2001

hsc2001 Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    started smelling coolant - no evidence of pooling on the ground. Ferrari advises there is an issue w/ radiator and line leaks - more so w/ GTOs; mine is an HGTE.

anyone been through this?
    Thanks

2. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    Hello
    As shown on the pictures on a previous thread,i think it is possible to be the little cooling hose above the heads which connect both of them,near the windscreen .
    Change it for a silicone hose because it is a weakness point on this car as the radiator.

3. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I'm curious - how many miles are on your car?

4. hsc2001

hsc2001 Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    thanks Phil, will do. Car has 1,700 miles.

5. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    recently went through something similar on my 599 ('08 non-HGTE c/ 14k miles). smelled coolant but no visual evidence of leaks. shortly thereafter, coolant temp went way up, into the red. had it taken in and the dealer said it was a cracked radiator. $7k fix.

6. hsc2001

hsc2001 Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks - did you have FBH do the work? That's where I bought my 599 in November.

Did not know about the radiator / cooling hose problems w/ 599s...are there other well known issues w/ these cars?

regards,
    Steve

7. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    A hgte with 4000 km with the digital dashboard off.
    Expensive fixing told me the dealer.

8. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    My car is a 2007 with 14k miles, so I'm thinking of having this hose changed as a precaution. Does anyone have a source and or part number for the silicone hose? Any idea of the labor costs?

9. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    I think you can get a Venair silicone straight hose of the same from Oreca.com in France with a pair of steel clips.
    It si an easy fix but a little long to remove the intake manifold .

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Plenum hoses plagued the earlier V12s, too, until the 575M switched to silicone hoses. Except the small ones.

Scuderia Rampante has really good silicone hoses, but not sure they have done anything for the 599 yet. Those are really short miles for hose failures, and radiator failures.

11. hsc2001

hsc2001 Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    thanks for the info - my 599 is being looked over at FSV - really great team & facility.
    was treated to grilled salmon at their in store cafe' by Chef David...very cool! The Cafe created an interesting feature to the facility over their Beverly Hills shop...(James, a little family competition?)

i'll report back on what was found and the proposed fix. nice low mile black GTO available for $540k

regards,
    Steve

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh geeez, you Californians! :D

13. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    hmmm... i wasn't treated to any salmon, but then again autogallery sends a flatbed for picks up and drops off so i don't have to leave the comfort of home. and no one can compete with the latte's i make in my cafe. :)

14. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I was talking to the people at Scuderia Rampante today about a replacement silicone hose for the one under the intake manifold that seems to be problematic on 599's. Does anyone know what the Ferrari part number is?

15. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    I didn't smell it or see any pooling but the dealer discovered a small leak in the water pump. The water pump is integrated with the oil pump and has to be replaced. Not cheap (replace oil/water pump $5753+tax).

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andrew- Many of those outside seals are available separately, but apparently that must not be the problem. Unlucky that the entire assembly has to be replaced.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    How common are these coolant issues on the 599? Hearing a lot about radiators lately, too.

18. wth

wth Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    Wong Teck Heng
    Greeting from Malaysia.

As am new owner to 2007 f599 gtb... am facing a small leak at side of the water radiator. Am thinking patching it with radiator sealant. Anyone has tried it before? Am waiting for my bar leak's liquid aluminium seal leak to arrive.

Any advice i could get it here?

Best regards
    Dan

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have a small drip on the bottom of the radiator. I can't smell coolant nor does it pool. I HOPE it is a hose but most likely a radiator issue. In the next month or so, we are going to remove the radiator and find the leak. I won't use a sealant but I may try to get it repaired if possible. If not, either a new core or new radiator.

Nine9Three, Anthony James and wth like this.
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm having similar issue - any resolution? would be helpful THANKS!

21. wth

wth Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    Wong Teck Heng
    Hi. Yes. I been using a coolant seal leak and has been working fine since till now. #touchwood. the brand that I am using is BAr's leak liquid aluminium seal leak. it only works if your leak is not serious. this liquid reconditioned the internal. hope it works for you. good luck!