599 dead battery.... how to jump start??? | FerrariChat

599 dead battery.... how to jump start???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gordon Z, Mar 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gordon Z

Gordon Z Rookie

Mar 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gordon Zimmermann
    2008 599 with dead battery....how should I get it started? Safe to jump start? Specific steps...turn isolater on? Don’t want to fry electrical system. Thanks. Gordon Z

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - take a look in the 599 section where I'm sure this issue will be covered - I'd guess jumping is a big no-no

SonomaRik likes this.
  3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Agree w/ greyboxer I would not chance jump starting. Even though 599s have the battery disconnect switch there is still a low draw that is very effective at draining a battery to the point where it will not take a charge. For long storage either disconnect the terminals or better put a 750 mamp trickle charger. Once the battery is disconnected there are some ECUs that need to "re-learn" to previous settings.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    NO jumping! Charge battery properly see if holds charge. If not just put a new battery in.

SonomaRik likes this.
  5. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

DO NOT JUMP START THE CAR !!!!!
    you will blow out the warning charging circuitry
    disconnect the battery with the rotary switch and charge the battery
    check it for a minimum of 13 volts
    run the car and see if the battery holds a charge
    if not get a new battery
    I cant tell you how many late model Ferraris have had the warning circuit board blown

LagunaJimenez and SonomaRik like this.
  6. westerner

westerner Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    Im new to the forum and looking in buying a 599GTB how come the owners manual doesn't say anything about " jump starting is not recommended? Are you guys talking about its bad to jump it with another running car ? What about jumping the car with one of those devices that car dealers use or you can buy at an auto store? In this video they clearly demonstrate this.

I ask because what are you suppose to do if you get stranded on the road with a dead battery??

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Read post 5 short answer or post 6 long answer but you want the hold charge of a recharged battery to be 12.3V or higher to start your car denoting 70% battery charge. 12.6V denotes 100% battery charge. 12.06V and a battry is already 50% discharged.

SonomaRik likes this.