599 F1 Oil Leak. | FerrariChat

599 F1 Oil Leak.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Rex71, Nov 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    lately I have been getting a transmission failure alarm on the display of my '08 599 GTB and i can only shift 1st & 2nd gears.
    The car will not shift to third unless i put it in nutral while moving then hit the upshift paddle and will engage 4th or 5th.
    The dealer's mechanic say that the F1 oil tank is leaking and must be replaced which is a costly repair.
    Did any one else experienced a similar situation ?
    Are the F1 system oil tanks known for frequent failures?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have not heard of tank failures, but accumulator failures are fairly common for systems that have not been serviced every three years as recommended in the maintenance schedule.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The tank is a BMW power steering bottle. About 45 bucks. They themselves dont leak. The lines however do leak. But usually it's just a sweat. Many times these bottle leaks can be sourced to an over filled system.

Its seems you have a different issue. I would ask the dealer to assign a more experianced tech to the job. Sure the fluid may have been low, but I dont believe that is the underlying issue you are experiancing.