599: Ferrari's Hummer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599: Ferrari's Hummer

Discussion in '612/599' started by checkmate, Nov 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    Boy Howdy, let the self styled expert pipe up.

Last Friday we drove 160 miles one way to the Seattle auto show to see the 599 they had on display. The big disappointment was seeing a black car in what I can best describe as a cave.

I do have to admit when seeing it side by side with an also black 612 I liked the lines of the 612 better. The young folks were drawn to the red 430 Spyder in droves and probably didn't have a clue as to what the two black cars were.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    problem here are two:
    1) your a porsche guy and I drove them all and couldn't give a diff about them! You proberly never drove a Ferrari or owned one!
    2) You describe the 599 as a passenger.if you want I can sell you a seat and it will cost you far less than a car!
    Drive a 599 its got an engine compared to an Enzo!

3. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Interesting thoughts...
    Nothing wrong with being critical and I reckon many people (mostly not present @ Fchat) will agree.
    The same thing can be said about some Porsches, Lambos, and many other modern sportscars, though.
    I'm not a fan of the modern "Microsoft-Mobiles" either.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's incorrect.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Texas cheater 355C's that couldn't beat NY cheater 355C's on the day don't count.
    :)

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think Lee is pretty happy with his........:)

I think you have to turn some of the driver aids 'off' to really work it......

I have this pic of Schumi twisting it thru a curve hard enough to lift the inside front tire.......:rolleyes:

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We'll meet up at Gruene Hall for some "high tech meets low tech" Fcar comparisons........

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #33 rob lay, Nov 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, Texas cheater 355 C still won 2 National Championships, how many 1:18 Hot Wheel models were made of the NY cheater 355 C? :D:D:D #104504 is still racing too. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Don't mind me. I was just searching for the biggest "Talking smack while drunk" threads and somehow wound up here...

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

11. MickOpalak

MickOpalak Karting

May 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mick Opalak

See my Lotus comment above.

12. checkmate

checkmate Rookie

Dec 5, 2006
    Hello
    I've been in Asia for a couple weeks and didn't come back on here until tonight to see what "banter" was going on with a matter that affects a friend of mine (ie two stolen cars), the courts, etc.

The replies to my original posting on this topic ran the gamut - from the predictable to the ignorant (Mr. Todt no longer drives the "bare aluminum" 599. His new one is white). And then there were the truly informed and cool people: Particularly RBK, Dan360 and Mobiel. My client simply doesn't like his 599 and I know why (the newer Porsches don't let me nail a hairpin like I want...as the TC kicks in). As one reply said, ALL the new "performance" cars drive like an insurance liability lawyer was on the final engineering team. Hopefully, Ferrari will have learned a lesson here: That marketing testosterone- acceleration particularly- and eliminating any FEEL for the road (to save money in assembly and maintenance with the GM shocks- just as they did with the use of light-reflecting -but cheaper to produce- carbon on the dash) is not the road to take- not when you're up against every other idiot car company in the world, bragging about "0-60 in whatever". Do you think I care about how fast my 1968 Ferrari goes?

These are just cars!
    And Ferraris have always been about the driving experience. The new cars- from all manufacturers- lose that.
    Whatever you're driving, do it safely and happily with your familes this holiday season.
    My wife and I will be doing the malls in an H3

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    FWIW I have access to some of the most exciting cars ever built (many in my own garages) as well as a plethora of venerable vintage cars of several diverse marques. In short I can pretty much drive whatever I please.
    Having said that, I absolutely love my 599, precisely for the reason that it is a modern, technological tour de force, that allows me to use it everyday, without the nagging fear that something will break, or burn or stop working. With all of that it is still a Ferrari with a beautiful customized interior and a rarity on the streets that ensures attention wherever I drive it. It is fast, much more so than the average run of the mill high line stuff it shares the streets with and it simply does perform better in every measurable parameter than any of my several benzes or Bentley FS. The intimation that the 575 is a better GT is frankly laughable.
    So while I appreciate your very subjective and clearly uninvested opinion, it seems to be in the minority in my experience of discussing the 599 with all and sundry.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You couldn't use a laser or a radio to keep in touch while globe-hopping? Pity.

Thanks for your inspired input on the 599.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    "Mr." Don "Quixotic" is the gift that keeps on giving, year after year.

Gordy? Gordy? Is that you? STFU and put the mic and acoustic guitar down. This isn't 1979.

"The Edge of My Toilet Seat" was an amazing read, even if I read it red faced with blue veins popping out of my forehead like they were maps of major interstates. Rapture descended upon me much in the same way that it descended upon Robin Williams in his Epic Advetnure "The Fisher King" "OMG, I shyt angels, or something."

Not to be confused with book titles such as, "How to Get Off: On the Edge of My Blake, by Robert: How to Deal With Inept Cops."

Mendacity! Why are two city squires
    like you abusing a knight like this?

Raisins, rat ****, Mr Quixotic...hard to tell em apart.

16. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #41 Sfumato, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's painted, two-tone, dark over light. Not "bare aluminum". MS's is white with chrome wipers.
    Cheap to produce CF? Maybe in Laramie
    John, IIRC, it is a 97 or 98
    Keep the love alive John-Joyous Festivus to one and all.

17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    People cheated in the Ferrari Challenge?!! :O

but its all good though cause anyone can have a 1:18th scale model made of their race car..no need for cheating to get that done

18. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Great Value on a very classic GT, yellow with black and yellow piped seats would be an awesome combo.

S

19. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Yes you do :)

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One of our 308GTB guys just made a 550 move.........it's in detailing now, so I'll let him make the announcement when it rolls out.........

Looks like I'll finally get a ride in a 599GTB after the 12/07 Kelly Willis Christmas Show.........

"Baby, it's cold outside......."

I guess we'll have to use fake snow........

Looks like Ron Tonkin has a 599GTB in inventory for sale...........

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    IIRC, As far as 550's go, that was a pretty weak copy right? ;)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've done that too for the FerrariChat.com graphics, but Hot Wheels made tens of thousands of #104504 in both 1996-1999 Steve Earle yellow and 2000-2001 FoH silver without having to pay for it. Don't have the exact stats, but I believe #104504 has 5 times more commercial models made of it than any other challenge car minus the generic reds.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Is the yellow one the dirty one?

I ran across that the other day, I'm gonna get it out and include it in the displayed collection.......

25. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Didja realize all those HW together worth more than a 430 field or perhaps Class 5 at Monterey? Toys indeed. :)