599 fuel pumps done! | FerrariChat

599 fuel pumps done!

Discussion in '612/599' started by afwrench, Aug 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys a bit of an adventure with my fuel pump install. The WSM is of limited value here in my opinion. Taking apart the interior is OK. The pumps are under quite a bit of spring compression. This makes un screwing the retaining ring difficult without the special tool. I used a punch and hammer to get them off. Drivers side not too bad a bit fiddly but doable. The hard part is to compress the new pump down and get the ring started.The passenger side was problematic as it was not possible to remove the ring once it was unscrewed due to interference with the bulkhead.Perhaps my tank is a bit out of position but it was a no go. I ended up cutting the ring and then smoothing a couple of the ribs on the outside of the new ring for clearance. All together now but not without a bit of head scratching. By the way when I accessed the old pumps they were not leaking a bit.But now I dont have to think about it.Happy to answer any questions . Mike

2. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Figured out why I had some trouble with the pumps. My gas tank is a bit to far forward. Do not know why but the holes for access through the top of the bulkhead do not line up with the pumps causing some interference. Not enough attention paid when the tank was installed. Mike

George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 afwrench, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    No photos but I do think that the tank had been moved in the past. Where is the best place to get the proper tool? Thanks,Mike

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Who claimed what now? The job is already done...

I'm very grateful to have knowledgeable people like yourself on these forums, but please don't berate others for being amateurs. Almost everyone on this forum is an amateur when it comes to working on cars. Doesn't mean they're useless or deserving of an insult.

599_GTO likes this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ok, I follow your logic now. I didn't get from the above that the job wasn't compete.

I think the ship may have sailed on not giving advice. :)

(Don't get defensive - I'm just having a giggle.)

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- RickK/Dick Darlington (same person) was permabanned.

7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I took no offense. For the record ,Afwrench harkens back to my days as a "professional" mechanic in the USAF. I have worked in the engine room of tugboats in NY harbor ,built custom motorcycles and fixed farm equipment in the midwest. I then became a dentist and so with 50+yrs of fixing stuff, big small and in between, I feel I have about as much experience as most.My method was the same as a previous poster. My questions usually are related to things I have not encountered before. As an old guy I like to proceed with caution in unfamiliar waters. BTW I ordered a tool just to check my work.I will let all know if it is a worthwhile purchase. All the best to both pros and amateurs alike Mike

599_GTO and brogenville like this.