599 gated stick manual Official picture thread | Page 17 | FerrariChat

599 gated stick manual Official picture thread

Discussion in '612/599' started by Zarathustra, Mar 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Typing mistake : # 166663 is no more in Belgium but in Italy

gated.599 and of2worlds like this.
  2. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wow, that is a really early SN for a 599, early 2006. They were still building Superamericas when that one was built.

of2worlds and gated.599 like this.
  4. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    It's actually got a really interesting story. Started life as an F1 gearbox press car for the French press, then went to Goodwood, then disappeared in 2006 and reappeared two years later with a manual gearbox as well as a manual gearbox code. It's conversion was done with all brand new OEM parts, so that probably makes it one of, if not the last true OEM conversion recognised by the factory!
    (Credits to @Zaza for telling me more about this example)

L.L.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Interesting, thanks. Ferrari could have made good money, like Aston Martin, doing 3 pedal conversions.

JackCongo and gated.599 like this.
  6. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    #167772 just sold for $640,000 and I can't say I'm surprised. Although I was informed it might have had an electrical problem, because it's fuse box was open at the private previews. Plus it had a broken radio cover, and the already mentioned broken light switch. Image Unavailable, Please Login

L.L.

7. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    Let's be honest, this is ferrari we are talking about haha. The same Ferrari whose last priority is (or at least was) to make money.

L.L.

8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Here is the same car at Spa Ferrari Days in June 2006.

I don't think it was for the French press particularly, although it did appear in the French press. It was just a press car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    Lovely period correct pictures!
    Yeah I meant that it was used mainly by the French press, as only they featured it on a magazine. (to my knowledge) Image Unavailable, Please Login

L.L.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like she has had 3 sets of wheels: pentagrams, Challenges, and GTOs.

Zaza and gated.599 like this.
  11. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  12. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    Indeed! If we don't count #182296 that was listed for $875k(which I really believe didn't sell) this is the highest a manual 599 has sold.
    Interesting that the now second most expensive example is also Nero (#150345).
    That price was a result of two buyers fighting to take the car by the way.

L.L.

13. Yan-Alexandre

Yan-Alexandre Karting

Dec 15, 2016
    Hi there.

I'm currently working a piece on the 599 and I'm curious about manual conversions. Who did them ? Were the 8 cars you listed converted by Ferrari or somewhere else ?

gated.599 likes this.
  14. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    #415 gated.599, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    To my knowledge, none of the conversions were converted officially from the factory. The closest a conversion has gotten to an "official" conversion is #146539 which had its engine code changed to identify as a manual in the internal database of Ferrari, as well as having a certificate stating the conversion was done to OEM specifications by a Ferrari dealer.
    Other than that I believe #152979 used original parts, along with #157964 and #163812. (Could be second hand)
    #164298, #180532, and Kode 57 use the easiest solution to the availability problem, 612 linkages.
    I know of 1 other chassis that got converted by Nomad Engineering recently, using parts engineered from scratch.
    I am not sure about the other conversions listed by Zaza. Will have to wait and see what he thinks.

L.L.

Yan-Alexandre and Zaza like this.
  15. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Correct ! Pentagrams only for the French magazine test early June because they switched to challenges at Goodwood late June 2006. The previous owner in France changed to GTO’s in 2018 or 19

gated.599 likes this.
  16. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    I couldn’t write better. I will add that if the first one mentioned #146539 has been converted in Germany, the rest if not wrong has been converted in the States. Maybe the Kode57 in Japan but not sure

456-boy and gated.599 like this.
  17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Other conversions out there include in the UK and in HK.

The car converted by Nomad wasn't really done by Nomad; it was done by the same guys when they worked for EAG. Its the subject of ongoing dispute, but I have on good authority that it worked fine when it left EAG, but due to an ongoing dispute by the owner, and the animosity of the employees exiting EAG, that it was curiously found to be in need of much finishing work immediately after leaving. So Nomad "fixed" it. Or they didn't and it never needed fixed. Who knows? Either way, I still assign that conversion to EAG rather than Nomad.

gated.599 likes this.
  18. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    I didn't want to go deeper into that subject when writing my reply, in order to avoid any disputes and disagreements, but oh well haha.
    One thing is for certain, the conversion that was finished by Nomad Engineering (started by EAG) was done using the OEM gate and linkages engineered from scratch, as I've seen the CAD files myself.(not posting them here in fear of replication). Below is a picture of its gate pattern, confirming it's an OEM item from the cavallino on it.
    Im also informed that the other 4-5 examples meant to go through EAG, will go through Nomad instead. Image Unavailable, Please Login

L.L.

19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ha! I guess I'm the master of putting my foot in it. To be honest I think its better for all of us if we can be as open as possible about this stuff.

So have EAG outsourced the 599 conversions they had lined up to Nomad?

456-boy and gated.599 like this.
  20. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    I agree, I'm just not a fan of heated disagreements. Nothing wrong with some casual conversation!
    I believe the 5 cars(to my knowledge) intented for conversion are already at EAG, they just haven't gone to Nomad yet.

L.L.

21. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
  22. gated.599

gated.599 Karting

Dec 12, 2020
    Volos, Greece
    Full Name:
    L.L.
    456-boy likes this.
  23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Interesting video. Clearly the conversion was not done to the right standard, but the message I took away from the Nomad guys is:
    - We were not working under any formal contract at EAG (this one is on EAG)
    - We were not happy with some of what was happening at EAG and the changes afoot
    - We decided to leave, and take advantage of the fact that there wasn't a contract in place to stop us stealing the designs for a new venture.

I mean, the designer says that Art at EAG was never authorised to use his designs in the first place. Why on earth would he think he was being paid to design something that the buyer couldn't use?!

rickyg75 likes this.
  24. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    More chances that it’s 151605, a confirmed US 599 GTB F1, as 151805 is a confirmed US F430.

gated.599 likes this.