599 GTO Y spoke wheels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 GTO Y spoke wheels

Discussion in '612/599' started by glob1971, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

Sorry for this :-(

According to me there are 5 type of rims :

- silver thin Y design (standard at the launch)
    - grey thin Y design (standard)
    - grey thick Y design (standard)
    - black thin Y design (option)
    - black thick Y design (option)

Other wheels are aftermarket.

I was watching the "vehicle database" of my car, there is no mention of the wheels = there is no way to distinguish who has, or don't have the thin/thick Y design.

2. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    #27 Thomas Quintin, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    There are a few with gold wheels too, but I don't know if it's from factory or repainted

3. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Sorry about that! I didn't mean to leave you hanging...

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Of course. I was being helpful to those that remarked about having a boat load of ugly weights on the outside of the rims and expressed the desire to correct it. I had the answer and wanted to share. Sorry if you felt the thread was being derailed as it was not my intention.

5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahahah no problem nobody can see all replies...

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #31 tazandjan, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yep taz... the second one after Nelson's car. i posted this car a few month ago.

I find this completely conservative livery really interesting.

I always have wondered (And nobody has explained me why) why the GTO and only the GTO attracted so many weird paint schemes , bizarre strips and more.

Something you don't see on others ferraris

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Olivier- I love the silver GTO wheels and the clean look of this last GTO. Knew I stole the photos from someone, but did not remember who.

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    No no those aren't "mine" ahahah I posted pictures of the same car but yours are better quality.

ANyway it's simply beautiful.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The colors are relevant as to the wheel type - the wheel colors of each individual GTO can be denoted upon documentation. It's the wheel style that concerns me. But based on your list, it's my understanding that there are two types: thin Y and thick Y.

...but out of curiosity, why wasn't the thick Y available in silver?

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I was about to say aren't the original wheels BBS FI and wasn't BBS going through bankruptcy during this time? If yes then I will just offer pure speculation as to what you theorize- 2 suppliers and maybe the 2nd one couldn't make an absolutely perfect replica due to patent/ copyright reasons.

12. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    http://youtu.be/yKX5t0BBbiU

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely... probably trough the atelier. there is a purple one and a red one.

The purple one belongs maybe to michael Mann (Movie director) but I'm not sure

14. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yeah, problems with the thinner ones, where all 4 wheels would suddenly, and with no warning, fall off the car. Luckily, I'm willing to swap my 599GTB (with meaty challenge wheels) for your inferior GTO with the scary thin ones :p

15. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seems like bent wheels lead to broken wheels so this would likely be severe enough in the US to force a recall due to safety/defect. Should be easy to check for recalls on the NHTSA website.

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    The first one looks really nice.

18. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

Thanks for this, you are fully right those weights are ugly but is there some way to have it inside the wheel instead of having it outside ? I am planning to keep my GTO for long, it will happen some day and I will need to solve it :)

19. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic

You are right, color is not the issue and could be painted from factory anyway in any color buyer would want. So there are 2 type of rims, the thick and the thin Y spoke design. The first to be introduced was the thinner one, reason the silver wheels are only available with the "thin design".

I have no idea what happened after, why they changed the design but 2 options : 1) it is pure aesthetic and we should not care too much although I still prefer the thinner design :). 2) this is a technical issue such as broken wheels, bent or other issues. In such case, we 599 GTO owners should investigate to prevent this but unfortunately I have no access to this - my dealer don't even know there are different wheels ;-)

20. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I don't think that there are any safety issues with the thinner design, if there were they would have been recalled and replaced by Ferrari on all GTO's. I beleive the issue may perhaps be a result of different suppliers being used. I know on the earlier GTO's the wheels were BBS F1's. If the later GTO's don't have BBS's (someone would need to check as mine is a 2011 early car with the thinner spokes) then that may be the answer. But my guess is that it is just the result of an evolutionary re-design by BBS of the F1 wheel which occurred during the course of the GTO production cycle.

21. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    I can't help but think the supplier changed as the thin ones are the ones currently listed on the BBS website. Anyone with thick ones that can have a look?

BBS Rad: FI - Forged Line

22. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    Look where? I have the thick ones.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #48 tazandjan, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Duffy- Unfortunately, you have to remove a wheel to see the casting marks on the back of the wheel.

Here is what the back of 19" modular 575M wheels looks like. TUV standards require manufacturer, width and rim design ("J", etc), offset, and recycling info usually showing the alloy used.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thanks. See my post #13 on this thread. By knowing the heavy part of the rim itself you limit the number of weights. As far as location, I've watched my guy do this many times and he knows how to read the numbers on the balancer to find the spot where to put the weight on the inside only. Sometimes he would miss it and dismount the tire and do it all again. What a perfectionist. So nice to have a guy like that. He once took hours to do a balance but still only charged $20/tire (hence the hefty tip).

Also, his (4) wheel alignment was only performed with a full tank of gas and sand bags on the floor in front of each seat because the factory spec called for it. When re-installing the wheels, he used an air wrench with a "torque stick" that would set the wheel bolts at 80% spec and then finish up with a hand torque wrench (2) times around.

25. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes, Michael Mann owned 179235, the Vinacia Claret 599 GTO that was for sale at Ferrari Beverly Hills, seen 22 December 2012, with 2,559 miles, for $539,000. When I saw it there, it was wearing black wheels; but an asset had informed me that Mann's GTO had gold wheels, and he later swapped them out for "stock color" wheels. I'm not sure if the stock color was the black wheels that I saw, or a different color, and then the black wheels were the third set worn by the car by that time.

It is as frustrating as it is fun and fascinating to still learn about the options and details of a limited edition contemporary Ferrari. Thank you.