599 HGTE | FerrariChat

599 HGTE

Discussion in '612/599' started by F1 MONZA, Jul 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 F1 MONZA, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
    Any 599 HGTE Owners. Would like to share their views at this time. I have a 2007 599 GTB.

Like to add the 599 HGTE exhaust. How do you HGTE owners like the sound of the exhaust.
    Also my next step will be to add the suspension package. Since my car is a manuel Gear Box. Will not be able to modify the electronic as far a shifting the car much quicker.
    Any pictures of the inside of the car? I like to see the seats carpet glove box.
    Any changes to the body with the HGTE package. Bumpers rear apron. I know rims are different but with the cost will keep my 20' option rims.

Thanks

John

2. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
  3. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I agree HGTE with Driftracer, HGTE exhaust is probably 20% louder than stock.

4. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Is it really worth the extra expense? Wouldnt a tubi work better?

I asked Ferrari of Central Nj if they could open up the valves to get a louder sound, but was told they dont recommend it as it causes an increase in engine pressure. I didnt go with it as I didnt want to compromise the engine in any way.

5. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I replaced the HGTE exhaust with Tubi, and Tubi was perhaps 15-20% louder than HGTE. Personally I wouldn't recommend opening the valves with the stock exhaust. Opening the valves doesn't add much sound at higher RPM's. At lower RPMs, there is just more noise and a lot more droning.

6. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Most dealers like to BS or just talk out their backsides. Opening the valves does not hurt the engine. The valves serve two purposes: to increase exhaust gas velocity at lower RPM for better torque; and also to control the sound while at lower RPM and cruising speeds. Valves can seize open or closed, and if this was detrimental then Ferrari would not have them on their exhausts.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm curious how those who have driven both base and HGTE would relate the difference in performance. I don't care about the exhaust. The car I've been eyeing does have the HGTE package.

8. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I think the differences are subtle, especially in the transmission reprogramming. Maybe it is a few milliseconds quicker to shift, but it is hard to tell. I think the biggest improvement was handling; the HGTE has a little less roll than stock but still not adequate for the race track. On the road, handling for the HGTE felt a little more confident although I never really liked the handling of the 599 anyway.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Does anyone here think the HGTE upgrades are worth more than 20% of what they originally cost on the sticker of a used vehicle?

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Yes.

12. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I love my 2010 HGTE but wouldn't think the difference would be worth the cost on an older model.It will probably not increase the resale much, if any ( lack of originality ),and the performance will really mostly involve suspension improvement.I would leave the car original and change only the exhaust to the Tubi.

Good luck!

13. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley
    Is the HGTE pack just ECU upgrades to suspension or do they replace springs/shocks ?

14. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    They replace lowering springs, not sure about shocks.

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I dont think the shocks themselves are replaced.

16. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Springs are replaced, new rear sway bar(thicker) ,new ecu for shocks to account for the stiffer springs, wheels are 1/2 wider in front with a stickier compound P-Zeros all around.Kevin

17. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is the break down of the Kit.
    You can buy two types of kits for the HGTE.
    First type is rims
    firmer springs
    thicker sway bars
    Springs lower ride height
    ECU ONLY UPGRAGE IF YOU HAVE F1 GEAR BOX... This will not work with Gated Shift cars...
    And Exhaust kit
    you can buy HGTE FRONT GRILL with Satin Horse front and rear Horse. 1,200 USD
    Kit with out tires or rims is about $6,000.00 Dollars
    Kit with rims is about $12,000 USD.
    Exhaust is about $3,000 USD.
    This does not include install from your dealers... Check with your dealer on how much they will charge you for the install.
    If you have the optional challange style wheels no need to re place them since they are already wider then the star shape rims.. Unless you want to buy the HGTE RIMS . Then get the entire kit..
    I am thinking about just the suspension kit . No ECU Upgrade for my car, since it is a gear box. Not a F1 Transmission.

18. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley
    Thanks for the replys, ive already got 20" challenge rims and decat tubi, but the handling is a little "soft". Not sure whether to keep with Ferrari parts or someone like novitec.

19. carmaro54

carmaro54 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Full Name:
    Carlos Miguel
    Hi John,
    I own a 2010 HGTE with the F1 gearbox but I do not think you should modify your 599 because it is a very rare car. I believe that less than 10 were delivered with a manual gearbox. One was sold sometime ago for around $600K.
    I would advise you to keep your special car as original as possible to retain its value. Maybe wheels or items that you can re install if one day you decide to sell it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Carlos : There is a post called
    "599 gated stick manual Official picture thread" where 49 cars are recorded, more the 10 cars you mentionned but I agree with you as to keep the car original. I do not know if John's car is registered on that list.

21. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    This post was resurrected 8 years later. A new record!

22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

And really expensive!