599 HomeLink Programming | FerrariChat

599 HomeLink Programming

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skidkid, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have a 2008 599. It has the factory HomeLink buttons. I found the instructions online and some in the 458/488 section that are the same. BUT I am having no luck getting the system to program to my LiftMaster garage door opener.

And yes, I did RTM. That option isn't covered in the owners manual. I am sure there was some other supplement but I don't have it.

The instructions on the HomeLink site and others are below. There is another section if the door still doesn't work but I am not convinced I am getting this part done correctly. When I push the button the light illuminates (solid, not flashing) hold 20 sec and it starts to flash; it stops when I release the button. I push the button to program and the remote, the light goes on solid. After about 30 sec or so it starts to flash quickly. NOTE: there is no flash slowly as stated in step 3. Thoughts?

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
    2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
    3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
    4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
      • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
      • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

2. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    You may need a homelink repeater. It’s what I needed for 2010 458.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Skidkid, I have 08 612 OTO car which I assume has the same Home Link system. It took me several, maybe 8/10 tries to program but it did finally take w/o any special equipment.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks guys. I was getting what appeared to be closer so maybe I will keep trying.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This thread is a year old but I finally got back to this project so I will update. In 2008 they changed the protocol for Homelink. Theoretically everything should be new style after 2008 but that doesn't mean that the Italian's got that message ;) so you will need a compatibility bridge. I got a Chamberlain Homelink Compatibility Bridge for $30 on Amazon. Then it took a couple of minutes to get this working.

The compatibility bridge is a small box that plugs into the wall and has an antenna (this does the translation from old protocol to new protocol) and a remote that is mated to the small box. Here is the process: Hold the provided remote 1" to 3" from your Homelink buttons. Push the button on the remote AND the button you want to program at the same time. In about 5 seconds it will start flashing fast. You have now mated your button to match the remote. Plug in the small box. Go to your garage door opener and program that with the car as usual. For my Liftmaster I push the Learn button twice, the learn led lights red. Then go to the car and push and hold the Homelink button until the Homelink LED lights solid. You are now DONE and it will control your garage door opener.

Hope this helps others in the future.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- I have always skipped the remote part and gone straight to the button on the garage door opener.

SonomaRik likes this.
  7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Did you have any luck with this?

My homelink is not programming on my 2008 either.

May the Horse be with you

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Are you following the 599 manual instructions?

9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes.

I hold the two end buttons down for approx 20 second until it flashes fast.

Then at the same time I hold the remote button and the button I want to program.

However nothing happens.

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

There may be a button on the door motor. You hold that button down until it responds flashing then you do the car sequence. It's easier with two people, one in the car the other pressing the button on the garage door motor.

Condor Man likes this.
  11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Ok.

I will give that a try next.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have a new remote but it isn't just drop in to the existing system. I need to make an adapter but got busy and didn't do it yet.

From what I can tell: Homelink standard changed around that time. It adopted the Security+ 2.0 standard and unfortunately, that standard isn't backward compatible. Most openers would work but the newest will not. It looks like Ferrari changed to the new standard somewhere around 2009. That means the 2007 and 2008 will not properly program to a new opener (the way the rolling code progresses is different).

And yes, it looks like it programs properly. It just will not run the opener. If I use a bridge it works properly but the bridge gets out of sync if there is a power failure so it isn't a very good solution. It is also how I know the module is using 1.0 standard.

I suspect if you purchased a new module, it would be the new standard because they changed part way through production. That would be the easiest process but also the most expensive.

Condor Man likes this.
  13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I was just looking at Eurospares and it appears to be available, 217879 HOME LINK ECU. Cost is $1590 so definitely not cheap but clearly the easiest way to make the change.

I should have time to get back to my project soon. I will update as soon as I test the solution.

Condor Man likes this.
  14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Wow for that money I would rather keep the remote from the garage in my car.

George Vosburgh and Skidkid like this.
  15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    These things are such a pissoff!

My G wagon is a 2021 and it always loose memory to the point where I just keep a remote in my car.

And yet my gate at my work the G wagon as never dropped.

My GT4 did the same thing with my garage doors too.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That probably means it is your garage door opener, not the remotes.

17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes they are very new.

Only 1 years old.

I am going to program my Roma to see if this works.

Skidkid likes this.
  18. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    It doesn't look like Ferrari ever bothered to update the Homelink to the new standard. That part number (217879) is the same from 2007 to 2012 and if the ECU was updated, they usually give it a new part number.

I recently had to update the HOMELINK on an old 2006 Maserati (it has the HOMELINK built into the visor) to work with my 2018 openers. Obviously there was nothing directly available from Maserati so I took the module out and hunted around on eBay. As I should have guessed, HOMELINK modules only come in a limited number of form factors. So I just hunted for the same form factor HOMELINK module but from a newer but different make/model car. Found something used from a GM car ($60) that was also mounted in the visor (it had different outer trim, but the underlying module was the same) and it worked like a charm!

Below are some pictures of the Ferrari 599/612 HOMELINK module from an eBay AD:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Condor Man likes this.
  19. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
  20. sammyf

sammyf Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    As you can see the modules are pretty self contained... They only have 3 wires on the connecting harness (Power, Ground and Illumination)

I'd try myself, but my 599 didn't come with the sweet, sweet HOMELINK option
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Skidkid likes this.
  21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly. I picked up one but it has the buttons built onto the board. I was considering how to make an adapter to the keypad's cable. I like your approach better. It is likely a lot easier. Let us know.

Condor Man likes this.
  22. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's great work!

23. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My 599 didn't come with homelink...just keep a remote in car for me.

Too many vehicles where the homelike works like crap. Little cheap remotes work like a charm and consistently.