599 Misfiring Badly After Having The Scheduled 2 Year Major Service performed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 Misfiring Badly After Having The Scheduled 2 Year Major Service performed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by denfpal, Aug 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    #26 FNCOOL, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    I have a similar story, car after engine gasket change is idling nervous, sometimes down to 500rpm and also excessive heat in some cylinders if driven. New injectors, new plugs, 02 sensors, knock sensors, airflow sensors and still the damn issue continues. 599gtb is 2009 with about 50k miles on the clock and not sure what the previous owner did as ECU seems to be played. Ferrari reprogrammed, still same.

Even though car has lines for exhaust gas temp sensors (egts), my car seems to have the locations blanked from factory. Diagnostic shows still ECU is trying to read EGTS data and shows right cat temp as -40C but no sensor there. I was told that in Middle East specs (GCC), some 599s don't have EGTS. I checked with a Ferrari dealer in Europe and he believes all 599s should have EGTS in Europe. How about USA?

Definitely will have the fuel rail also checked.

2. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
  3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Question for me would be if the fuel-rail/injectors were clogged, why did it happen during service? Maybe changing the fuel filter dislodged some crud? I would not crucify the dealer because of it, better it should happen there than on the road in the middle of nowhere

4. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    #29 FNCOOL, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    If this comment is for my post, my car visited both dealer and private garage for quotation of clutch change and oil leak from gaskets. As private garage had huge reputation and half price for the job, I choose them. None mentioned possible injector or rail issues after inspection. But also due to oil marks on the engine, none did a road test until gaskets changed due to risk of fire. Problem became appearent after engine was completely removed for cleaning, checking internals, variators and finally gaskets installed, oil changed, engine bay cleaned and new fuel pumps installed.

Ferrari agreed to see my car again but asked egts to be installed first. They will check in few days.

5. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    #30 Mor, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Maybe not the best picture but but that’s my intake after 76kkm. All clean, also the same in heads intake ports. That was first time disassembled for camshaft position sensors change (on intake, one falls down, I’ve changed both on intake). I always do oil change my self, setting level as described in manual (4500 rpm etc).

When I was there also checked all injectors. Everything in great cond.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

Attached Files:

6. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017

It’s dry sump so change on working engine, there is special procedure to do that. The way as you discribe, you will overfill.

7. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    It should be “check” not “change” in there, sorry for that.

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I agree with Vincep99 probably some rookie mechanic replaced the fuel filter and got debris in the line. In my twenty years of Ferrari ownership I have learned that Occam's Razor prevails which is a scientific theory that usually the simplest solution to a problem is the correct solution.

9. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    This car has filters integrated with pumps, so no way to change them like with older cars. There must be another reason that engine is not working fine.

10. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I put SeaFoam in the gas every year or so in cars, boats and lawnmower.
    Keeps in intake track clean.
    Very much cheaper than a trip to FOA and more convenient.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Gas, on its own, is an excellent solvent for cleaning, so generally your fuel injectors should stay pretty clean. If your gas is coming out of the fuel rail dirty (and in the manner you are describing), I would look into installing a new fuel filter. Usually dirty gas is due to a dirty filter which needs changing. I would also consider draining the fuel tank. On my pickup, I removed the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump. It was a lot cleaner inside than I was expecting, but the primary filter screen on the pump had started to break down. Draining the tank and/or looking inside it might not be a bad idea.

As far as additives.. not really a huge fan of most of them. However, I've had the best luck with the Techron stuff from Chevron. Just add it to the tank. I've also run Marvel Mystery oil and Lucas before, although like I say, usually not a super huge fan of additives usually.

The Chevron Techron stuff is usually pretty good and won't harm much.

I use Marvel Mystery oil a lot to clean carbon directly. Here's a picture of my Toyota pickup from last night. As you can see I'm soaking the pistons in Marvel over night to help break down the carbon. I've run Marvel directly through the oil and fuel system also, but like I say, I generally prefer the Techron concentrate stuff that you add to your gas tank. Most Chevron gas stations sell it and it works well in my experience. Once every couple years is plenty. Changing your fuel filter is usually a much better idea.

I personally only ever use Chevron gas in my vehicles.

Ray