599 or Alfa 8C | FerrariChat

599 or Alfa 8C

Discussion in '612/599' started by insukhong, Aug 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. insukhong

insukhong Rookie

Nov 18, 2004
    #1 insukhong, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    I have been looking for a 599 to replace my 430 for almost a month now, but still haven't found one I like yet. What I want for my 599 is dark red paint (Fiorano/Monza/Mugello) with beige interior, electric recaro, challege rims, parking sensor, and BOSE. I was told by my grey importer that it won't be easy to find one that I like unless I give up dark red paint. There are plenty of rosso corsa, black, grey cars with options I like that are in the market but Fiorano, Monza, or Mugello seem to be very rare. Then I got a call from my importer yesterday that he has an Alfa 8C in color I like (dark red/beige) for about 220,000 Euros. The car is in germany and will be a lot more expensive when imported to my country (Korea). It will probably be around US$400K, and it's almost 599 money. I can find a low milage almost new 599 for that money here. I know 8C is worth that money just for the engine sound and looks itself, and no one but Clarkson seem to have any problem with this car's driving dynamics. I really want this car but then I'll have to give up buying 599. What would you do If you were me? I drive Bentley GT Speed everyday and 430 on special occasions. Either of 599 or 8C will be replacing 430. I've had 430 for more than two years and I have to let it go before it depreciates more. I was surprised how much money I lost in depreciation when I recentley traded in my old 06 Bentley GT for new GT Speed. I lost $150K in two years in depreciation alone. I know used Ferraris hold up their value pretty well in America but unfortunately My 430 (12000Km, bought new in June 2006 for $330K) only goes for $180K now. Please let me know your thoughts on buying Alfa 8C or 599. I know 599 is more expensive, has more power, and will perform better than 8C. But 8C is lighter, smaller, and prettier. Would anyone pick 8C over 599 or these cars are in just different league?

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The 8C, in my opinion, is a great idea for those longing for some historical reference n a modern car, but in reality is a very overpriced car from a midlevel marque. It cannot be compared in any way to the 599, least of all in comparative value. The 8C may be fairly compared to the upcoming California from the POV of engine size, accommodation and performance, but to compare a V12 Ferrari to a V8 Alfa Romeo is patently absurd.

3. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I agree with 410SA that in terms of design and performance its apples and oranges, and the 599 is easily twice the car no matter what the technical or design criteria. And its a Ferrari, not an Alpha.

However, the way you posit your question appears to focus on collectability and rareness. There is an arguement to be made that the 8C is more rare, more limited and will hold up much better in terms of depreciation. It's pretty exotic with the body all carbon fiber and all, even though the frame is steel. Many believe it is more beautiful than the 599. A lot of people are nuts about it.

Hard to say, but any 599 you buy now is not a collector. I would say that if you are going to drive it frequently pick the 599, maximize your fun and minimize your downside. If you are going to look at it, drive it a little, keep it as a collector car and sell it in 4 years with 2500 miles on it, pick the 8C. That is, if resale value is an important criteria to you.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Having driven both I disagree. The 8C is a MUCH better car. I wouldn't challenge one on a track...

5. PogueMoHone

PogueMoHone Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    #5 PogueMoHone, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    I didn't want to be the first to post, take from that what you will.

I chose the 8C over the 599, simply because I liked the size better (Colors, You are absolutely right on (imo)). I have driven the 599 (Pilota) and loved the car, no negatives. I have not driven the 8C yet, but it suits me better, size and scale. However, if I didn't have other Ferraris in the pipeline I'd pick both.

As a European, I am pre-disposed to smaller, svelte cars, and when you see and hear the Alfa (knowing the pedigree and history) it is hard to pass it up. I went to Frankfurt, Meadowbrook and Geneva to see and drool over this car. Those who predict value, and future value miss the point; owning an 8C is like having a piece of art (aided by fine Ferrari engineering) and you can't put a price on passion.

Somebody once wrote and I can't remember who (for attribution).

"The difficult thing in life is choice"

Truer words were never spoken, enjoy the dilemma!

Buy what you like best, and to Hell with what others think.

6. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I respect your experience here Jim, but a well sorted GT-R will also spank a 599 on a track. That was not my point. It is simply a different car from a lower level of brand within the same holding company.

7. ejc0930

ejc0930 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Ethan Clark
    If its not going to be your everyday driver I, with my very limited understanding and experience mind you, would absolutely say the 8C. It is simply a work of art, regardless of what factory it rolls out of.

8. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Wow, I didn't expect that from you. What makes the 8C more superior over the 599?

9. insukhong

insukhong Rookie

Nov 18, 2004
    Thanks for your comments. I am surprised there is someone who has driven both already. I won't be driving the car everyday, but I intend to use the car pretty often, maybe 2-3 times a week. I do care about depriciation after driven 10000-15000km in couple of years but that's not the most important factor when chosing the car. I mentioned about depreciation in my earlier post because my 430 will depriciate even more when new model is announced. People in my country doesn't like driving dated model even if it is a ferrari. People here have no taste. My 430 have to go anyway because I want something classy now. It's still a great fun to drive though.

10. insukhong

insukhong Rookie

Nov 18, 2004
    Please tell me more about your experience with 8C in comparison to 599 and/or 430. ( I assume someone who have driven both 599 and 8C would also have driven 430 without a doubt ) Thanks.

11. Doubled

Doubled Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    599 is definetely a very good car, but not as good car if you compare it to 8C as an investment in the car. My prediction as from the one involved in car industry and especially dealing with Italian cars in Europe and knowing what has been going on with 8C allocations, is that 8C with fair mileage will cost as much as twice the current price in 1-2 years time!

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #12 Napolis, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can't compare front engined cars even if they are "front mid engined" with mid engined cars. They are different animals especially in the packaging which effects their usability. They also drive differently. Mid engined cars ultimately handle better especially on a race track but GT cars on the street are fine for the way most drive.

The 8C looks better, has the same gearbox as the 599 is lighter, the body is Carbon Fiber, and is less of a lumox on tight roads. It's like the difference between an F430 and an Enzo. You can get around a tight course much faster in a F430 than an Enzo and the same is true of an 8C and a 599.

Neither are investments although an 8C is rarer and the Spyder is very pretty. They are both overpriced and will likely come down as the world economic situation gets worse.

(The 599 already has, anyone paying a premium over msrp. for one is an idiot)

Mine will be a daily and they're painting it P 4/5 red which should be nice. Hopefully it will be OK in the snow.

Most importantly of course Babe's hardly notice 599's and are attracted like moths to a flame to 8C's and in the end what else really matters?

I'd wait for the 8C Spyder and head off down some great road with someone you care about if you're not going to use it as a daily.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    When are the 8C's coming to the US?

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Early September.

15. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    NAPOLIS ..
    What production number did you end up with.

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Serial # 1

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    #17 tfazio, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
    Are you really going to drive the 8C in the snow? I think it is safe to say that you will be the only 8C owner who will use it in the winter. With a set of snow tires I bet the 8C will do quite well as long as the snow is manageable. The only thing I would worry about are other drivers losing control when they see such a gorgeous car being driven in snowy or icy conditions :)

Will you retire the Maser Coupe? How many miles are on it now?

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As Maser Coupe is worth what (?) 30K I think I probably keep her. She's in top condition with about 30K miles.

19. 355bnut

355bnut Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    DomC
    Let's not be so quick to defer to Napolis here. Driving on a track takes a tremendous amount of skill to get the most out of a car,amy car. Individual talent and knowledge of the racing line have as much to do as the car's weight, power, etc. It is presumptious to state that since one individual is faster in one rather than the other applies universally. The 599 is a more difficult car to come to grips with on the track because of its size, weight and power. However, once you understand it well enough, and know that it appreciates being driven smoothly, it will outperform just about anything in its class. On the street it is a far better and more comfortable ride than an 8C and practically any other super car, sports or GT. Looks are subjective, so to each his own. As for myself, I appreciate the modern take of the 599 and find the very retro 8C, while very pretty, not of interest.
    At the end of the day, they are wildly different cars built for different purposes. hHowever, in my opinion, the 599 is the best all-round car in the world. Yes, I am biased as I own one, a manual at that, which I have tracked on numerous occasions and would not exchange it for anything. As for investment value, none of these cars are "investment" vehicles. Anyone silly enough to speculate in that fashion will inevitably suffer the negative consequences.

20. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Think again. :) Our car WILL see fall and winter weather driving, and spring and summer, too.

I find the styling of the 8C to be more apppealing than the 599. The 8C just makes me tingle all over when I look at the pics. The 599 just doesn't do it for me, but that's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. I can't wait to see the 8C in person, to drive it, to live in it, and just enjoy the heck out of it. I'm sure it'll not be a substitute for a 12-cylinder Fcar, but then, nothing really is. I'll just wait for the next 2+2 12 CYl and enjoy the little Alfa till then.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I like the 599's designers original sketches better than the way the car turned out. IMO the designers vision was a lot edgier and should have been followed. That said I take your point about The 8C being a bit retro but personally I like it's references to one of the the most beautiful cars of all time the T33 Stradale.

The best all around car in the world remains the Toyota Land Cruiser. That's the one you want to be driving when the revolution starts or before that if you have to drive from La Paz to Anchorage. (I highly recommend the front and rear winches as well)

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Toyota with winches...got that! LOL!

Cannot wait to see pictures of your 8C.....I know you have waited a long time for it....all US production is now presold, is it not??

I think America is now far too overwieght for a 'Revolution', the couch potatoes lack the energy required......and the youth lacks the knowledge. :)

23. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hope you're wrong on both counts.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Sold out.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Having been in a Heuy that was being fired on by rebels wielding AK 47's I'm not sure that hoping for a revolution is such a good idea. I really can't go into more detail but I can say you don't get a "0001 USA" licence plate without paying some dues...