599 owners with factory wheels (any size): What tires are you running? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 owners with factory wheels (any size): What tires are you running?

Discussion in '612/599' started by 348SStb, Jan 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Haha. Sorry to disappoint. By the way I am not saying that the PSS are rubbish. I just said that for the type of roads that I drive on I liked the Pzeros better.

2. OCMIA

OCMIA Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #27 OCMIA, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just replaced the petrified Pirelli PZeros that were on my car when I bought it last week. The tires were so hard that you could feel every crack and imperfection in the road. It rode like a dump truck and didn't get traction at all in second gear. I put on some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the ride improved tremendously and the grip is much better. The 315's in the rear fill the wheel well nicely and fit the rim perfect. I have these on my GTR and in my opinion are a great all-around tire. You can track them and also drive long distance in comfort all while getting some good life out of them.

I did the OEM size in the front: 245/35/20 and went slightly wider in the rear: 315/35/20
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Great reply!

I like the way you put it when you referred to you PZeros being "petrified." My car is driving like a garbage truck also... Looking forward to a dramatic improvement once the Michelin SS tires are installed hopefully soon if the weather ever changes around here...

4. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Chris said they felt petrified as they were "original tires" on the car, i.e since 2007 when the car was made, that means the tires were 7 years old ... At that age 100% they felt petrified. A new set of tires will always feel better than a set that's 7 years old ...

5. OCMIA

OCMIA Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very true! No doubt a new set of Pirellis would have been a major improvement as well. I just chose the MPSS because I have them on another car and really like them for their overall performance and longevity.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    There is no way a new set of Pirellis would even get close to those MPSS. As you've discovered its not just the grip, which is so much more than anything in the last generation- these tires really let you harness the 599's massive power. Its also the damping characteristics of the tires almost seem like they were designed with the 599 in mind. The ride is much much improved.

7. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    What did you guys experience as to cost of MPSS?

8. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    I hate my pirellis and yes they are 7 years old and YES i hated them less on day 1. Whoever said "petrified" and "dump truck" was spot on. AND, they were BAD when new and just got worse.

Since I bought the car, I could never launch it anywhere near full throttle without the traction control stopping me or losing grip by either wheel spin or wheel hop. In fact, on my first attempt I remember thinking that the traction control isn't very severe and quite smart i even said "how nice". NO. How on earth is that nice when its limiting your power to the ground? Wheres the grip? Whats the point of 620hp if my launch is equivalent to an M3 due to either traction control restriction or the need to feather the throttle so much to get reasonable grip. I tried doing long drives first (to get the perfect warm temp before launching), tried to experiment with tire pressure, different weather,different pavement and no. It never let me enjoy the launch even once on full power (or even 80% of it).

To be frank, I'd say when launching i would have to start feathering the throttle between 20-40% in the first 0-40kph. Before shifting to 2nd gear, I very rarely ever went full throttle without losing *some* traction. Its been done but rarely. But my concern is at the initial launch. 20-40% throttle is a joke. I admit this car on pirellis really taught me pro level 'foot dance skills' on the throttle and I got good at it enough that passengers never believed me when i said I was not on full throttle the entire time lol.

Note: When I say launching I mean gently feathering the throttle and go wide open throttle once I guesstimate that traction is sufficient. Not using launch control. Never even tried it. Frankly speaking, even if launch control was not tough on the car, why use it if ull have even less grip? Its a launch button not a burnout button.

I am unlike those who posted here wanting no changes to factory settings even there is room for improvement. Ill take improvement any day. The general public tries and provides their input and I respect that. Thank you.

Now here is my interest:

I am looking at
    Nittos NT05 for the fronts 255/35R20
    Nittos NT05R for the rear 315/35R20 LL
    I heard good stuff about Michelins. But I think Im looking for seriously better traction.

I could care less about how many miles the tires would last or the superb wet traction.
    I never drive in the rain. And my previous set has only 10,000 km (under 8k miles).

Anyone tried these tires? Ive heard people putting 600+hp on the ground with these tires and could not be happier.

Advice is well appreciated.

9. Gaelic

Gaelic Rookie

Oct 18, 2013
    Tiburon, CA
    Full Name:
    A Grant
    Can't say I've any experience with the Nittos but I can definitely vouch for the Michelin PSS as a serious upgrade form PZeros. You will be much happier.

10. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks I will look into them.

When I informed the ferrari service manager, he advised against
    255/35R20 (vs 245/35R20)
    315/35R20 (vs 305/35R20)

He said the larger tires will affect steering and differential components in the long run.
    However, he mentioned he will chat with other ferrari service managers abroad and come back with a final say.

When I mentioned the GTO has those sizes. He mentioned the GTO is a totally different car and even has a different differential.

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    First off. No, they will not. You need a rim width of 8,5" to fit 255/40R19 tyres.

As for size, it's not that simple. The number put on the side of a tyre, does not tell the whole story, it just puts a tyre in a class of sizes.

Your OE Pirellis on 8" wide rims have a section width of 24,4 cm, not 24,5 cm. The tread is 21,6 cm wide.
    The Michelin in the same size on 8" wide rims also have a section width of 24,4 cm, but a tread width of 22,8 cm.
    A 255 section MPSS will have a width of 25,4 cm when mounted on an 8,5" wide rim, but a tread that is 24,1 cm wide.

The difference between the Pirelli or MPSS 245/40R19 and MPSS 255/40R20 diameter is 10,2 cm, not 8 mm. The difference between the Pirelli 305/35R20 and the MPSS 315/35R20 is 7,6 cm.

In other words, forget calculators, look up specs, especially when it comes to tread width and depth. As an example, the 255 section MPSS tyre for the F12, has a tread that is substantially wider than the tread of the MPSS 285/30R20 for the GTO.

An interesting and good way to look at how different tyres balance the car, is to look at how wide their treads are, i.e, the front to rear tread patch bias. The rear Pirelli PZero tyres you have, are 25% wider than the front. If you combine the 245/40R19 MPSS with the MPSS 315/35R20 K2 Ferrari (F12 Spec) rear, the bias will be 22,5% front to rear difference. Add to that an increased radius of the rears of about 1,1%, and your bias will be 23,6%. This means that the 245/40R19 has more than enough rubber to keep up with the 315/35R20 rears, and your car should not only experience more overall grip, but also get a more sporty front to rear balance, as you will decrease under steer and push a little. Win/win if you ask me, and absolutely no need for 255 section tyres.

Leave them alone, as you will need new rims to step up, and there's no need to do so.

12. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    245/40ZR19/XL (98Y) MSRP $289.00 (Tire Rack $230.00)
    315/35ZR20/XL (110Y) K2 MSRP $565.00 (Tire Rack $405.40)

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    A slight error in my post above. The MPSS 255 is of course not 10.2 cm and the 315 not 7,6 cm larger in diameter. It is of course mm. Sorry about that brainfart.

14. Rotti

Rotti Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Canberra
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am going through this at the moment. Did you eventually get the 255 fronts and 315 rears and if so did you experience any e diff problems? I want the 255 fronts/315rears for my GTB which I have put on GTO rims, but my dealer is telling me exactly the same thing as yours did.

15. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I think that's total nonsense. Furthermore, are service writers at F-dealers some kind of experts?

At the time, I went with the slightly larger sizes for the rear wheels and noticed nothing. We are talking very very tiny differences here. The rears do not steer the vehicle, which makes the change even less significant.

No warning lights and no driving issues. What I did benefit from was a smoother ride with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The ride quality with the OEM tires was beyond just awful.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The E-diff could care less about the width of the wheels and tires. All it an the ABS system care about is the relative tire diameters front to rear. What the dealer may have been getting at is that GTO fronts in 285/30 20 may induce oversteer because they stick too well up front. If that is not what he meant, he is dead wrong.

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Mario, I agree with Terry. I recently switched from P zeros on my 612 to Michelin Super Sports. There is no comparison. Hands down a better tire in any category you care to consider (handling, noise, ride, longevity, etc.).

By the way, I have had a number of Mercedes as well and have had the MSS on them since they became available and before that I had the PS2s and other Pilot progeny on the Mercedes. The MSS is by far better than the Michelin predecessors and that gave me the will to replace the P zeros on the 612. Extremely happy I did.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Forgot to mention, no E-Diff on the 599 GTB.

19. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I replaced the P Zeros with Michelin PSS tires on my 599, 245 up front and 315 in the back. It is like a different car, I find myself selecting race most of the time unless cruising on the highway and the ride is smooth all the way around in any mode. With proper tire temps the pedal gets to the floor about 5-6k rpm in first and stays there as long as I want, with the P Zeros I could not do that until midway through 3rd. I cannot comment on how long they will last but if it's 4-5k miles I will be happy.

YMMV,
    Matt

20. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017

Did the dealer ever come back to you on this ? Or anyone else's dealer ? My dealer is telling me the same Thing.

Tyres on the 599 I might be buying are TEN years old and I need them replaced, and am also leaning towards Michelins (315/35/20) and (245/35/20)

If those work for everyone here with no diff problems then should be ok?

Thank you

21. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The 315 tyre does not cause any type of diff problem. The extra width gives you extra traction. I have HGTE I run stock size 245 up front and 325 30 20 in the rear Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tyres and I could not be happier with the extra traction off the mark and they handle brilliantly. The Pirellis were always very sensitive to throttle position and you could spin them without intending to do so. This car is not a barge as some say. It handles and scares the beejesus out of the mid engine cars when you stick with them through the corners and overtake them.

22. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    If those work for you it sounds like a good plan

I can't find any Michelins in sydney 245/35 front and 315/35 rear. Best I could find was pilot super sports for the front and Michelin latitudes for the rear in that configuration

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note the MPSS just became available in OEM size of 305/35 20. K3 for Ferrari. Originate in France.

24. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Good To know but doesn't seem to be anyone able to supply that size here....hopefully they'll have some in a few months

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I misread the size on Tirerack's site. They have 305/30 20, but not 305/35 20. My mistake. 599 owners are still stuck with 315/35 20 for the rears.