News

599 Parking Sensor Failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by Vito, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    My 2008 599 was just serviced by the dealer & returned to me on Friday. The dealership employee parked the car in the garage on Friday and today, Saturday, I took the car out for a drive. It started fine & drove perfectly. However, upon returning home & pulling into the garage the "Parking Sensor Failure" message appeared on the dash. I checked all sensors & they were clear. I restarted the car 2 or 3 times to see if the message would clear and it did not. The OBD-2 meter shows no error codes either. I did not wipe the sensors with alcohol to clear any wax that might be there from the last time it was detailed. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions on this matter? Thanks

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Possible rock strike when driving. I also randomly get electrical system errors when I start the car, sometime parking sensors. They always clear but the parking sensors are at best, marginally reliable.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hey Vito,
    Is your OBD reader specifically want able to connect to the parking sensor ecu? If so, then there must be a stored code (if not an active fault code). This would obviously help greatly in figuring out the fault!

One simple thing you can do is check to see that all your sensors are firing. With the ignition on and engine off, put the car into reverse, then crouch down with your ear right up next each sensor. It will be very quiet, but you should clearly be able to hear a clicking sound from each sensor. No clicking from a specific sensor would indicate a sensor or wiring fault. Not clicking at all would most likely indicate the ecu is at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Makuono likes this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good suggestion

5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    There was neither an active code or a stored code.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Lifetime Rossa

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No sure I really would want my head near a radar sensor.

7. brogenville

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Parking sensors are high frequency acoustic, not radar.

Well it doesn't make much sense that there isn't a stored code if you saw a parking sensor error come onto the dash. Maybe it got cleared by accident.

8. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Here's the summary of the event and update: 1) Last Saturday the sensor failure notice appeared on the dash. 2) Tried a couple of start/restart cycles to see if that would clear it, it did not. 3) Connected OBD-2 meter, no codes either active or stored were found, selected "delete codes" regardless. 4) Tried a couple more start/restart cycles, code still present. 5) Dusted car with California Duster and covered it. 6) Went to drive the car today and everything was fine. For example, sensors picked up garage door in normal fashion when backing out of the garage & when returning. I guess the California Duster has some delayed magical powers. No error message now.

599_GTO likes this.
  9. brogenville

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  10. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Ancel AD-310. It's worked fine with other codes.

11. brogenville

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    From reading the specs online, all this scanner is doing is taking to your engine ecus. You won’t find any parking sensor faults unless you have a scanner that can connect directly to the parking sensor ecu.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Parking sensors are not part of the mandated ODB-II spec. Codes such as this can often only be read with mfg software, or a high-end equivalent.

Skidkid likes this.
  13. brogenville

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Or a $50 Autel AP200. Can read codes from every ecu on the car.

I have one. It’s phenomenal value.