599 Power Steering Noise | FerrariChat

599 Power Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 412monzaindy, Aug 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    My 599 started emitting a noise from the power steering. Sounded like it was low on fluid.
    Garage floor is dry. No smell of leaking fluid. Steering feel is fine. Level is fine as well.
    Could it be the pump?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    well, is it low on fluid? Did you check? Is the belt tight?

thorn likes this.
  3. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I brought it in for service, no leeks, no noise, belt is tight, fluid is good.
    I started it up in the morning. No Noise, drove it all day, no noise no leeks etc.
    Could it be that has been very hot lately.

4. GNU

GNU Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    I think I have the the same power steering pump issue with my California.
    It was nice and quiet when cold and would get increasingly noisy with higher ambient and car temps.

I took it to the local Ferrari dealership and after completing a flush of the system we determined that it was likely an issue with the pump.

There were some metal particles in the fluid. Not much at all but enough to indicate a problem.

The conclusion was that the pump needed to be replaced before metal particles would start affecting the steering rack.

Pump was replaced (a big PITA) and the noise is completely gone. I can now turn the wheels from side to side while stopped and don’t hear a thing.

Mor likes this.