599 project,rebuild/track day car | Page 4 | FerrariChat

599 project,rebuild/track day car

Discussion in '612/599' started by kiwifaza, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Stephen, you are quite correct, the gto engine is very different, in particular, in the intake, and i am picking that the induction noise is a big part of the overall noise, that said we went for quiet test drive around the block last night,and the sound is stunning, very different from a GTB, haven't lent into her hard yet,so the best is yet to come,

Nicholas, thanks for that, shes coming along quite nicely, the ride quality of the GTO springs and sway bays really surprised me, quite soft and compliant i was expecting a bit more bang and crash, but none of that at all, Its actually not that different from standard at low speeds around town, haven`t had the opportunity to get out for a long fast drive yet but its coming,and not soon enough!

2. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    We all look forward to a video/audio of your new track beast. As an aside, I'd look carefully at the factory literature on the GTO engine. Some of the special sounds that emanate from a GTO probably just can't be duplicated without spending ridiculous money. The primary major system on the GTO that was supposed to be directly derived from the XX was the engine (merely detuned for street legal use). Stuff like the crankshaft, intake/manifold, internal diamond polishing, etc. are just a few of the things that the GTO engine system has from the XX. Since you want a track car, why not look to some 599XX components ? I always fantasized about converting a 599XX for street use. Of course it is ridiculous to think that a 599XX with a roll cage, no creature comforts, no safety goodies, etc. could be driven on the street BUT can you imagine how utterly awesome it would be ? A 95 355 Challenge is street legal but is a downtrodden sow compared to a 599 XX Evo. Somewhere in the World there is a billionaire who DRIVES his/her 599 XX Evo TO THE TRACK with a license plate on it. Now that is a ride I'd love to catch !

3. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    With many thanks to Fabio (F.Engineering) for generously sharing a wealth of knowledge,and in doing so saving us a lot of time , we have chosen to send the ECUs to Fabspeed to have them turn off the extra,now redundant lambas , this is in line with the factory set up for the GTO headers and Exhaust,only having 4 lambas instead of the GTBs 8, its times like these that you realize both the value of this site and the people here.
    Having had a long chat with the team at Fabspeed i feel confident that this is the best way forward to ensure reliability and safety, after all i don`t want to rebuild it again, I know a few of you are quite keen on doing this upgrade, but be warned its not simple and once you start theirs no going back, I have a friend who has just done a secondary cat delete to his 599 HGTE so once we have driven them both back to back ill give you all an opinion as to if its worth it

4. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    kiwi,
    i hope you will run early your engine to know the result ....
    About the knowledge sharing , i spent lot of time and money for those but i think is not correct hide what one know... I'm happy if I helped you.

5. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    We can supply you with all the Novitec parts and can make any custom carbon fiber parts for you in house.

6. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    , It was worth it!!!
    after all the work and effort i can finally say it was worth it, The exhaust just makes the car!! Its EPIC, its a sound that will never leave me, a mix of formula 1 scream and old school mechanical gnashing ,mixed with a baritone induction sound that leaves you wanting more and more, the long route home is just not long enough!
    I have owned and driven some great Ferrari`s including my 575M Manual, i`ve been a little critical of 599s in the past,but with the upgrades we have done to this car,Its now my hands down favorite car of all time, the funny thing is i took my brother ( a Ferrari owner too) for a ride/drive in the car ,and the first thing he said was,'why didn't they make them all this way from the beginning" ,his two big things were the sound and the wheels, both of which he felt were never quite right , closely followed by the ride height, for me though i cant wait to do the HGTE upgrade to the TCU and then it for me that will be enough, the GTO suspension/sway bars upgrade is so cheap and the ride is great, the ecu upgrade from Fabspeed is fantastic ,seamless and needed to complement the GTO Exhaust system with only 4 lamba`s instead of 8
    This brings me to what i think is an interesting point, would i recommend an exhaust up grade using the Factory GTO parts ??, the answer is not that simple, but in short NO!, Its a lot of work, especially given its a one of ,custom job, My recommendation is that 5- 10, 599 owners, get together with a company like Fabspeed and order a custom system that becomes a 'Production Product' that is a complete KIT , including ECU upgrades, i think this approach would yield the best,most user friendly way to give everyone access to, what is to me, the best sounding Ferrari ever
    not having been in a factory GTO i can only go on you-tube clips like Chris Harris in the 599 gto,but to me its sound exactly the same, and i love it
    When i can figure out how to post a video of it i will

7. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I'd love to hear the exhaust. Please post a video of your beast with a sound clip. That epic sound is one of the reasons why straight from the factory GTO owners are so high on their steeds. I have heard countless purported super cars and the GTO exhaust still reigns supreme. If you could bottle that GTO sound you'd be the richest person in the World !

8. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Hi kiwi,

"It was worth it!!!"

Same i thinked after i installed my 6-1 header in my 575...
    I done lot of work and effort i but it was worth it..

Good Kiwi!

Best

Fabio

tres55 likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like all the hard work paid off. Please show us some photos. Interesting adaptation of the GTO 6 into 1 exhaust. That is where the great sound originates.

10. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Glad Steve & I were able to work with you on this my friend, hope all is well. Say hi soon!! :)

11. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    ...and send me a video! Haha

12. Luigient

Luigient Rookie

Oct 7, 2008
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Lloyd
    Hi Kiwi,
    How do the GTO sway bars compare to the standard?
    Regards,
    Lloyd.

13. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Same to look at other than the external diamension is larger by a couple of mm,perfect fit, bolt straight in,you need the gto bushes, but with the gto progressive springs the car is compliant around town but very flat at speed i love the set up and its half the price of the hgte and its two sway bars rather than just the rear for HGTE , i have the gto wheels as well so i wanted a balanced package
    if you want to compare yours to mine let me know and we can catch up

14. Luigient

Luigient Rookie

Oct 7, 2008
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Lloyd
    #89 Luigient, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    tres55 and Makuono like this.
  15. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Your 599 is beautiful!!! Congrats.

Those rims and ride height make it look awesome.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

16. markboj

markboj Karting

Nov 3, 2004
    Australia
    Gotta love the wheels!!

But then I would...Cheers looks like it all worked out well Todd.

17. x-tremetuning

x-tremetuning Karting

Mar 12, 2016
    Hungary
    Congrats Kiwi ! It was a very long and great work ! I'll wait your video of the new sound...

18. x-tremetuning

x-tremetuning Karting

Mar 12, 2016
    Hungary
    Great and long work Kiwi ! Congrats I'll wait your video with the new sound...

19. x-tremetuning

x-tremetuning Karting

Mar 12, 2016
    Hungary
    Ride height is really beauty. But usefull ?

20. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    This car is awesome !

Daniel

21. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Lloyd, just send me a pm and we can catch up anytime

22. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
    It sounds like the GTO springs and sways are working well with the GTB magnetorheological shocks—I believe they are the same across the GTB, HGTE, and GTO—but I have to imagine there is a different ECU program for the GTO setup considering there is one for the HGTE setup? Is there any way to get that program?

23. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    not sure but ill check and report back, have done 3000kms and just love it!!

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    A BUMP for a neat thread !

Kiwifaza did you ever get a sound clip or youtube vid ?

ChipG likes this.
  25. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I agree, I remember when the submarine commander drove this thing through the lake. The car looks amazing, I would love to hear the exhaust.