599 Shocks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

599 Shocks

Discussion in '612/599' started by Hawkeye, May 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  2. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    This is VERY interesting

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well Terry, this just got interesting. I do by the way recall the thread you mentioned. I gave Rob a call. He's pursuing a great solution for us, but it doesn't involve rebuilding our current MR shocks. Apparently just can't be done. He's working on a complete replacement using more traditional shocks and computer asst to open and close valves to adjust ride. And it looks like my 599 will be involved in the development process. At some point this winter, we're going to pull one front and one rear shock and associated hardware, sent it to his shop in Michigan where they will get what data they need to have certain parts of the system fabricated in Europe. Once the product is back, they're going to come down to VA to replace my shocks and associated hardware and put it all through it's paces. So my car will be the first with Rob's new system. Should be fun.

Caphill likes this.
  4. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Wow. Please keep us all up to date as this progresses.

G55amg likes this.
  5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Sounds like a great deal to me. Kind of like the early 911Es, most of which had their weird shocks swapped out for 911T or 911S shocks or equivalent.

The magneride shocks have some advantages, but replacing them every 20K miles is a bit excessive.

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No kidding, especially with the ferrari tax. $8k parts alone if you're lucky.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Actually I was way off on this. It's in fact $12,000 an axle in parts alone for replacement magnaride shocks, according to Ferrari of Washington.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    To confirm, it's 6k per corner...?

9. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Bob, out of curiosity, at how many miles did your car's shocks begin leaking?

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    According to Greg Miller, the Service Manager of Ferrari of Washington, who has sold several recently,yes.

I'm not sure when they began leaking but I'm around 15k now.

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What are the GTO shocks, the same? Or what about the 599XX? I'm sure this has probably been covered. I don't recall seeing it. The point being, as you are aware, it's just crazy that there aren't options.

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's what we're trying to do, create an alternative at a third the price. Just need more participation at this point.

13. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Any update on this? I may also need to replace my front shocks soon.

Thank you

14. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Hi Terry! Had the same issue with shocks on my two ex Audis R8 ( both V8 and V10). By the way the suspension was called "magnetic ride" and manufactured by Delphi. Its also one of the weakest points of the Audi R8. The shocks start leaking even if the car has been sitting in the garage for a winter period. Suppose that the shocks are almost identical on 599 and R8.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Armen- We definitely need someone like Delta Vee to start rebuilding them. Hard to get the magnetic oil, though, I would imagine.

16. Armen G.

Armen G. Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Moscow Russia
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Agree, I guess the process of rebuilding them is more complicated than the one for conventional shocks. Here in Russia and in Eastern europe no one was willing to rebuild em. Thanks to the local dealer who managed to replace them at the expense of the factory even after the 2 year warranty expired.

17. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like the point of failure is the shock construction. If the fluid doesn't degrade over time, can it be removed and reused in the units once they've been rebuilt?

Obviously I'm speculating and have no technical knowledge of these shocks, but I can't imagine these absolutely cannot be fixed. I also can't imagine, given the incredible skunkworks groups in the community, that it hasn't been tried before... Which leads me to believe a standard solution hasn't been found.

Just a thought.

18. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
  19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Joe- Usually they are replaced because they are leaking fluid. So it needs to be topped up. Or maybe take 3 shocks and rebuild two or cannibalize Corvette shocks that nobody wants.

20. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Yes, one of mine is leaking. I guess the oil would be the most difficult part to solve.

21. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Hi Bob,
    How did the 599 shock absorber project with Rob go ?
    I was very interested never heard any more about it and wondered if anything had been worked out or a suitable replacement package developed.

Mark

22. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Year old thread, maybe PMing him might be better.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

23. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    Folks - has there been any progress on this subject.

24. Wannarace

Wannarace Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ferrari of Seattle has someone they use that rebuilds them, just not sure who.

25. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    Is prob easier to just buy eurospares shocks. There are brand new and ferrari oem. They are around 100-1500/shock