599 Shocks | Page 7 | FerrariChat

599 Shocks

Discussion in '612/599' started by Hawkeye, May 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM

What about on a very early car? Same thing?

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Magneto is overrated. Good coilovers (KW) properly set up will make the original suspension obsolete.
    There are suspension warning deletes available included.

FIN612 likes this.
  3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Agreed.

Only benefit to keeping the magnetorheological dampers if you want a more focused ride is (i) loss of originality (ii) reduced breadth of operation i.e. harsher ride when you just want to cruise - although even this is limited if you buy the really top drawer dampers.

George Vosburgh and white out like this.
  4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Interesting, good to know!

5. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For those who have sent their shocks to Nagengast and reside in the US, what carrier did you use for shipping? What was the cost?

6. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Thread resurrection time !!

Just having my shocks replaced, at the same time I'm doing all of the bushes with uprated ones (Hills)

My front shock was leaking last year at the service and come this year pretty much all four of them were knackered !

Have replaced with OEM from Euro spares, inc new springs etc £7500 inc vat - as the suspension was removed for the bushes etc fitting is kinda FOC at this point - they were not expecting all 4 to be as bad as they were.

My cars done 65k miles now - so lasted well and driven in all weather !! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out, brogenville and Rex71 like this.
  7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    For info gents, I've just been corresponding with a really impressive company in Kuwait who do rebuilds on 612 and 599 suspension. They have the full dyno rig and everything to check the performance before and after.

They also do loads of 599 and 612 cluster repairs as well.

https://www.scuderiaf1.com/

ZDF_Fan likes this.
  8. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

WOW! You really have driven that car! What's the body look like? I'm just over 45K on mine and I'm planning to do the front shocks in the fall. Eurospares at this point seems to have the best price.

9. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie

Its got a fair bit of stone chipping to be fair but i do a lot of euro trips and IoM twice a year chasing Supercars and pissing off Motorbikes :)

Its generally in good nick though, no bubbling paint but it will get a respray next year and then a full PPF, and I'll take the wheels back to ball polished.so it should be in tip top condition.

Photo from a recent valet:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Very nice and most impressive looking considering the mileage. You're an inspiration to us all!

11. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine wont last 65K miles, not with the condition of the roads in South Yorkshire, absolute disgrace, no wonder Rod Stewart is doing his own road repairs so he can get his Ferrari out!

Doug., George Vosburgh and ddrewesusa like this.
  12. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I've had the pleasure of contracting a number of concerts for Rod over the years but never found the time to talk about F cars.

13. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Got my car back on Friday - took a lot longer due to delays from teh factory and requiring additional top body/suspension mounts - one of which was ROTTEN

Car is transformed - took the opp to add braided hoses and HGTE Springs at te same time as it was pretty much apart !

I also have the old shocks so will get those refurbed if its worth it!

14. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I like the idea of the braided hoses. I feel like the car is already so low and I'm not going to track it so I'm going to pass on the springs.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would add the braided hoses just for the look. I don't see it as adding a lot for what I do with the car but they look great and cost next to nothing in comparison to, well, everything else on the car.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- They prevent the tendency of the brake hoses to balloon when heavy pressure is applied, especially as they age. The sheath keeps the ballooning to a minimum for a more solid brake pedal feel.

Skidkid and George Vosburgh like this.
  17. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    There is def a noticeable improvement on heavy braking with pedal feel for sure on the braided hoses - time will tell next week on the Isle of Man !

brogenville likes this.
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree with everything you said. I just haven't been tracking my car so I don't get that kind of braking very often.

19. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Justin, where did you find the braided hoses to fit the car??

20. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Justin,

Explain the rotten body suspension mount, is that shown in the photo of the shocks? What part number for that and how was that repaired? Thanks

21. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Custom made i believe, any good MS shop can build them up for you or your mechanic.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  22. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Upper and Lower stop caps i believe - they were replaced and this is what the worst one looked like:

Part no - 190332

Attached Files:

23. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    George - ref the brake hoses / hose line kit, have a look on the Goodrich web site. They stock some St St braided kits for Ferraris ( not the 599 or newer Ferraris ), but they also do a " custom length " service too.
    The brakes on my Granturismo were terrible so whilst it was at Shiltech Engineering, they asked Goodrich to make up a full set of St St braided hoses for the car. It took over two weeks as the " banjos " were awkward and they did not stock any Maserati Granturismo kits, but they came good in the end with the cost being around £120 GBP. It certainly transformed the brake feel on the car.

Skidkid likes this.
  24. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Thank you for the info John!

25. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    My spelling mistake George - Goodridge Hoses - located at Torrance CA and Mooresville NC. Looking at the website they still show applications for only older Ferraris.

George Vosburgh likes this.