599 vs Mclaren SLR (video) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

599 vs Mclaren SLR (video)

Discussion in '612/599' started by wassabihg, Feb 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    FINALLY! Somebody with some f*cking sense!

2. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    wow...this thread and the word fighting is still going...hmm...

3. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Well said. I'd love to be there for that race. There's no doubt in my mind as to the outcome. However, don't think you'll get any takers, Will.

4. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Nope.

5. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
  6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You sound very frustrated.
    Want a mint ?

7. yellowenzo123

yellowenzo123 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    They are both great cars, and I agree there is always something faster, I really boils down to what suits you. Performance should not be the ONLY mitigating factor to buying a car, or we would all drive an Ultima GTR.

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    No, it apparently seems like you're the only one who cares one way or the other. We all just get into our cars and enjoy them. Sleep on that while you attempt to think of something else of no consquence to say. You have been pretty good at doing that so far. Don't disappoint us now Harry.

9. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Bringing objectivity or relevant discussion to the table is hardly inconsequential is it?

I realise that the words objectivity, ferrari and 599 may be a little difficult for you to palate particularly when they are all in one sentence but if you want to talk about the subject matter to hand as opposed to bad mouthing me I would be happy to oblige.

So back to my previous post... any thoughts on where the 599 will sit on lap times? If you dont actually care its probably a good idea to do what most normal people would do and not comment upon it at all.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I suppose (for the sake of argument) that 599 will place between CGT and SLR,better then LP640.
    It would not sway anyone though to buy any of these cars over the other just based on a test like that.
    Anyone able to buy 599 could easily afford any of the above cars ,they choose Ferrari because it's a better package overall.
    (unless they have low self esteem issue and they have to get a Lambo)

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Why anyone would care about which one is faster in a drag race is beyond me.

There are 8.5 second 1/4 mile Tuner Cars running on the street that will leave both far behind.

Neither are race cars. IMO the SLR looks like vom but why anyone would care
    about how I think it looks is also beyond me. Those that buy it must like it so all is good.

The 599 is a GT car that happens to be close in performance to an F 40 which isn't too bad and has enough performance for most.

Those who perfer the SLR are lucky as they can get one with no waiting for less than a 599. Those outside the US should check out the 722 if they want a SLR. IMO that one looks a bit better and should one want more performance is a bit faster as well.

13. mksgr

mksgr Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Germany
    HaHaHa :))))))

14. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Well said.

Both cars can be considered as the ultimate GT cars (and hopefully not Ultima GTRs!!), and are remarkably similar in character - front engine, big, 620bhp+, stunning performance, very usable, "eat" continents, and designed and built by a Formula One team.

Performance is probably so close as to make no real difference.

The SLR has a bigger "trunk" but costs around $200,000 more.

The 599 sounds better and has an F1-derived gearbox.

Both cars' styling could be described as "interesting" and "unique", but possibly not "beautiful" like a 288 GTO (but that's a different thread!!).

So, in the end it's down to personal preference.

Unless you can't decide and have to have both..............

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Perhaps you missed the post earlier where I was quite unequivocal in stating I don't really care about the outcome of any type of competition between these or any cars as it pertains to my choice of those cars. You really need to get some help in deciphering the written word.

16. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    What is with the obsession: lap times, 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed? why does it matter so much? all great cars transcend quantifiable data in one way or another (the owners already know this)... Why does it matter so much--to those that care-- that word fighting still continues to no point?

17. yellowenzo123

yellowenzo123 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    My Daddy can kick your Daddy's ASS!! Wait a minute who's your Daddy?

18. mksgr

mksgr Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Germany
    One last piece of advice: you should work hard on controlling yourself better. It is remarkable how easy it is to make you talk and reveal a lot of nagative aspects of your personality. That might be very dangerous, in particular in business life. And you know: no success, no money, no nice cars :)))

19. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    No I dont understand why someone who doesnt care about competition between two cars frequently posts on a 599 v SLR thread putting forward ridiculous arguments of why the 599 lost. I think its probably because you fall into the insecure 599 owner category but feel free to enlighten us.

Maybe you need some help in deciphering 'if you dont care shut yr mouth'.

As stated to you previously this is a 599 v SLR thread. If you want to slag me off then PM me. For the sake of this thread I wont respond to any of your personal slurs (on this thread) so be my guest and have your last public word against me if you really must.

20. losang

losang Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    I must say that the Mclaren is the fastest, most luxurious and most beautiful car I have ever seen. It has to be the the greatest automoble ever built. In fact I use it as my daily driver.

Sincerely,

Batman

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Minor point. In the US the SLR costs less. You can buy as many as you want for 300K. The rest I agree with.

Best

22. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I use my 722 every day too!!

23. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Slightly OT, I apologize.

RTB, I'm curious on how does it compare first hand to the non-722 edition? Is it that big of a difference, hence the switch? :)

24. mksgr

mksgr Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Germany
    Good point! Is there (and if, in which speed-range) a noticable enhancement of acceleration performance? And how does the suspension setup compare to the previous version? Achievable lap times have been improved slightly as far as I heard.

25. Auw12

Auw12 Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Ah...this is...funny...